Forum Bug: Full body of embedded links is counted towards the character limit of comment

Just noticed a weird bug. If I paste the link to a lengthy post, the full post body is counted towards the character limit of my comment.

Forum Bug: Full body of embedded links is counted towards the character limit of comment

singhnsk singhnsk
✭✭✭✭  / 

Just noticed a weird bug. If I paste the link to a lengthy post, the full post body is counted towards the character limit of my comment. All links are ideally automatically converted into a embed to show a title and initial few lines.

That's okay, but they should not be saved into the database since the post header and body may change at a later time via updates. This also adds an unnecessary weight to the forum database by storing the same content multiple times. The bigger the database, the more will be the load on the server which can also slow down page loads when under load..

For example, when including a link to the Pro Mode discussion, my comment hits the max character limit while I actually typed only 2 sentences.

I am not sure if external links are fetched and included the same way, but at least links from the community do. In general, all embeds should be fetched in real-time at page loads. I'll test external links later today and update this post.

CC-ing it to you, Miss Admin (@HMDLaura)

Comments