19th of March – Launch event - Page 2

(Quote) Nothing mentioned about exact dates in stream but today I was going through tweets and news on google search where I found that 5.3 will be arrive first then 5310 in same time.

19th of March – Launch event

Comments

• Lazysince1995 Lazysince1995
    Super User  / 

Nothing mentioned about exact dates in stream but today I was going through tweets and news on google search where I found that 5.3 will be arrive first then 5310 in same time. In April only it will be available in India as per digit post online. May be 1.3 also will be available in same month.

8.3 5G will arrive late summer that may be reason its not updated yet on Nokia android or new launch pages of site.

• Wanderlust Wanderlust
    ✭✭✭  / 

@madbilly

On GSMarena and other tech posts online this is mentioned that it will be available in April month only.

• Wanderlust Wanderlust
    ✭✭✭  / 

Just now Nokia updated all newly launched phones on Indian region official website too. But they didn't mentioned the price of any phone.

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    Super User  /  edited March 22

Nokia 5.3 should be a sub Rs.11000/- phone in India. They will mess up again if they price it high. The phone looks stunning. However, I don't understand how did they go ahead with that dual tone colour for the camera housing. It doesn't look good to me and it doesn't even go well with their less is good design formula. Next is the "5 MP" Wide Angle camera which is a very low resolution for capturing Wide Angle shots. Should have given the same 8 MP Wide Angle camera that's on the 6.2 and 7.2 along with a 5 MP Macro lens. Anyways, it's now launched and can't be changed. But, if they price it right at the beginning itself then this could be a hit product. There's no point in reducing the price after a few months as it won't attract more buyers that way. Other features of this phone such as the colours and design, processor, tiple card slot, big battery make it a good offering at this price point. :)

Nokia 8.3 on other hand is a very premium product with focus on 5G. Not sure when or if it will be launched in India. It comes with 4G and 5G networks only which means it can't fall back to 3G and use it when 4G is not available in some places

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @Kartik Gada, where did you read that about the 8.3 not supporting 3G? That's very interesting, and to me quite a problem as many places I find my phone shows me a 3G sign instead of a 4G, so without 3G I'll be back on 2.5G (or maybe even that isn't supported?!).

Cheers 🙂

Super User  / 

The Network specifications on the official Nokia 8.3 product page just mentions 4G and 5G.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @Kartik Gada I don't think that that means no 3G or 2G, if you look at other product pages these Gs aren't mentioned either. E.g. 8.2 page only mentioned LTE, not other Gs.

I thought I could clarify this by checking the various certification databases but AFAICT this phone has not yet been certified... at least I can't find it.

Cheers 🙂

Super User  /  edited March 25

You can check this data sheet shared by Nokiamob. Even this just mentions LTE and 5G bands nothing else. 🙂

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

I think that this phone isn't actually ready or finished yet. That's why the specs sheet is so thin on info, why there is no user guide published yet nor any certification info.

Normally those datasheets give enough info on supported frequencies, but given the lack of info elsewhere I'd be surprised if that datasheet didn't get updated as we get closer to the proper release of this phone.

I think it would be crazy for HMD to release a phone which supported loads of 5G frequencies but didn't support 3G, that would get them loads of bad press and they would be subject to jokes too. Connecting People? Or that Juho meme respun? Not worth the risk in my opinion.

However, they might be that silly, and if so they probably would deserve the ridicule that came with it.

Still, let's be optimistic.

Cheers 🙂

• Viking2018 Viking2018
    ✭✭  / 

What is a good release date for the new Nokia PureView phone?

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

Surprisingly, the Nokia 8.3 is also a PureView branded phone, although it isn't associated with the name, unlike the Nokia 808//909 PureView or the Nokia 9 PureView.

Theres no information as to when a successor to the Nokia 9 would appear.

• youhippy youhippy
    ✭✭✭  / 

Wouldn't a 5G enabled phone automatically cover the rest of the generations? Or is it not as simple as that when it comes to radio waves?

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

The modem supports fallback, but it is for the OEM to program which all frequencies and bands are enabled. The phone will only work on what's enabled. And it seems HMD might have dropped it.

Anyhow, the first deliveries will start happen very late, around July and its only then that we'll know what networks the phone is capable of.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @youhippy,

Pre-orders in the UK and elsewhere suggest a shipping date of July, which is a shame.

Frequency bands in 4G, 3G and 2G haven't been revealed by HMD yet, but I would be very surprised if they dropped 3G and 2G support. Most of Europe still uses all Gs and that seems to be one of the main target markets for the 8.3 5G.

To support a frequency band a phone must have a suitable antenna, an antenna which can be tuned to the right frequency and have the necessary modem software to decode the digital transmission. The latter should not be a problem, and for HMD who surely have RF expertise from Nokia available the antenna should not be a problem either. Given that the just announced TCL 10 5G supports 2G and 3G I'm sure the 8.3 5G will as well.

Cheers 🙂

• youhippy youhippy
    ✭✭✭  / 

Wouldn't a 5G enabled phone automatically cover the rest of the generations? Or is it not as simple as that when it comes to radio waves?

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  /  edited April 19

Hi @youhippy,

Not necessarily. I think some 4G phones don't support 3G.

However, I did ask HMD and they confirmed the phone will support 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G.

Cheers 🙂

• Ajit G. Mori Ajit G. Mori
    ✭✭  / 

No comments

• Nasiru Nasiru
    ✭✭  / 

I may need a refund because my Nokia 5.1 plus doesn't worth it. The phone doesn't respond to touches and it hangs up on any operation.

I'm Nasiru Mustapha Mafindi from Nigeria