Homeβ€Ί Generalβ€Ί Anything goes

Tarah.... ah.... stuck in lockdown! Let's chat instead πŸ˜†

@madbilly @martin.fd you 2 seem to be the only ones still around so see you around chaps this is the end of my HMD journey.

Tarah.... ah.... stuck in lockdown! Let's chat instead πŸ˜†

MrBelter MrBelter
✭✭✭✭  /  edited March 31

@madbilly @martin.fd you 2 seem to be the only ones still around so see you around chaps this is the end of my HMD journey. Not only did my Nokia 8 die and become unreparable, my wifes Nokia 8.1 is also unrepearable (charging port), it is 11 months old. Just to rub it in my mates Nokia 7 Plus (which i recommended) has just been swapped for a new Samsung A50 as the HMD phone (surprise surprise) became unrepairable with a failed charging port.

Anyway i have bought the missus a Moto G8 Plus so i have no reason to visit the Nokia forums at all now but just wanted to say goodbye to you both.

Comments

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited March 18

Hi @MrBelter

and thank you for the nice "goodbye"! Yes, it's a pity - it was a nice time, but sometime it's over ... like so many other things in the current situation?!

In this sense: Thank you for the time together here and all the best - especially health! πŸ‘οΈπŸ˜€

P.S.: Since I am a (very satisfied) owner of a Pixel 3a, my presence here has also decreased considerably ... 🀣

P.P.S.: My "Like" has just promoted you to point 2.000 🀩

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @MrBelter,

Ah, sad times. If my Nokia 8 had died I think I would be in the same situation, but for now it continues to survive, despite a few drops recently! Without an HMD phone I think there's little point sticking around. I don't see as many interesting discussions as I did a year or two ago, I presume because the excitement of the return of Nokia has disappeared now, replaced by frustration and exasperation. Tomorrow might bring A New Hope! Oh, whoops, wrong film franchise... 🀣

Can't the 8.1 get repaired under warranty, or replaced? Nevertheless I expect you don't really have the confidence to get another HMD phone and whilst it's away being repaired/replaced something else needs to replace it in the meantime, hence the new Moto. Hold onto it for a few months before requesting the repair and they might send you a new 8.3 as its replacement! πŸ˜‰ @martin.fd was your new Pixel 3a to replace the Nokia 8 as well? I suppose at that price point, it makes little sense to get an Android One phone when you can have the real thing.

Thanks for popping in to say goodbye @MrBelter, I appreciate the shout out πŸ˜ƒ

Tarah and bonne santé πŸ™‹‍♂️

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

@madbilly: yes, though the 8 ist still working perfectly, it has (more or less) completely been replaced by the 3a πŸ˜€

(Some comments here: https://community.phones.nokia.com/discussion/56214/nokia-8-google-pixel-3a)

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

The 8.1 is being process under warranty but in the UK i have yet to see a Nokia phone made by HMD get repaired, they are generally replaced or a full refund offered. The only thing at the same price that i paid for the Nokia 8.1 at the retailer i used is an Oppo Reno Z so ill probably end up with one of them so I'll just sell it on unopened.

I am going to be honest, i saw the Nokia 8.3 and it sparked a bit of brand loyalty and i thought YES i am having one, then i saw the suggested RRP and fell about laughing, it is dearer than a OnePlus 7t πŸ˜‚.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Yes you're right about the price of the 8.3, it's a bit high for the specs, except the 5G bit. Maybe the main buyers will all be 5G mad and not be interested in much else.

Cheers πŸ™‚

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Does anyone really care about 5G? It adds significant costs to the handset and for little benefit to the user, it will be a couple of years before it is wide spread and then only in cities, it needs far too many cell sites to be of any use in rural areas.

To be honest my 4G connection isn't exactly rubbish.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

No I don't think many people are very bothered about 5G, but I think that HMD think there are enough people that are excited about it that it's features will get them a lot of sales. After all it's cheaper that the majority of 5G phones, it supports a wider range of bands than most 5G phones and has pretty good specs otherwise. There are some downsides (like it's enormous weight! 🐘) but I think that most potential customers would ignore these shortcomings if what they are interested in is 5G.

Cheers πŸ™‚

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

It comes with a free HMD shoulder bag mate πŸ˜‚

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

🀣

I thought you were leaving? πŸ˜‰ Glad to still have you and your sense of humour around for a while.

Cheers πŸ™‚

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I was mate but in my defence people kept tagging me in posts 😘, then i wasn't allowed to leave the house and to top that off the shops were told to shut so it'll be weeks before i know owt about my Nokia 8.1 for certain. So as it stands i am still in the Nokia family albeit by the skin of my teeth.

Funny what can change in just a week innit πŸ˜₯

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Yes a lot can change in a week.

A week before France got locked down life was normal, albeit some people were washing their hands and avoiding people more and others seemed to revel in kissing each other and shaking hands.

When France went into lockdown last week I told the people I know in the UK that I reckoned they would be in lockdown in a weeks' time and they should get ready, not wait for the schools to close (as that was the main forewarning we had here) and quel surprise one week later UK gets locked down.

At least the weather's going to turn rubbish for you soon so you won't feel like you're missing as much as last weekend β˜” πŸ˜†

Freezing here at the moment, hard frost this morning, so it's not bad being couped up here either.

Cheers πŸ™‚

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

We have a weekend away in March to celebrate my birthday with our closest friends (to be honest my birthday is just the excuse for us to get away 😁). Anyway only 3 of us could make it because everyone else was (rightly) self isolating with cold like symptoms but everything apart from the constant hand washing life was going on as normal albeit with a of sense people starting to avoid people etc.

We came home on the Monday and that was that I've not been out for the last 10 days and because i am classed as vulnerable due to underlying issues i am not allowed out (even to food shop) until May 15th, i am going to go off my trolley πŸ˜ͺ

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  /  edited March 26

Ah yes, that's going to be tough. I hope you've got a garden, that will keep you entertained hopefully! πŸ‘¨‍🌾 And surely there'll be plenty of things you can find to fix in the house when it's raining! πŸ› 

I hope, anyway. 🀞

Otherwise, you're going to become very familiar with the lower order TV channels πŸ“Ί and/or an encyclopedia of knowledge about your chosen subject based on t'interweb sources. πŸ’» What about all those books and magazines you never found time to read, yet? πŸ“š And I'm sure you've got plenty of photos still waiting to be dealt with πŸ“Έ

You could even try and work your way through the unanswered questions on this forum! That will certainly take a few weeks... 🀣

Glad you managed to get a break before this all kicked off anyway.

Cheers πŸ™‚

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

We only went to a caravan park on the east cost of Yorkshire, it has become tradition for us all to visit on the opening weekend (which was good because the caravans had been empty for 3 months and therefore sterile i guess).

I took this on my OnePlus 7t (although any smartphone could do it lets be honest) on the last night, shame it was windy because the stars just aren't pin sharp sadly. Venus, Hyades and Pleiades are all on view.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Brid?

Nice shot. Yes, maybe any smartphone could do it, but I can't remember taking one that good with my Nokia 8. Did you have the Oneplus 7t on a tripod or resting against something?

I tried to take a photo of Mercury when it was in a good position in early February but I don't think it came out. At least, the version I have in Google Photos doesn't show it, but maybe their compression erased any trace. It easy tosee with the naked eye but the conditions (dusk, not dark) probably weren't conducive to a good exposure. Venus came out well though!

Cheers πŸ™‚

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited March 26

No mate Reighton Sands near Filey, it makes a great base for exploring although after many decades visiting the Yorkshire coast i am surprised we keep finding stuff to do.

Was on a little gorilla pod and a manfrotto mobile clamp. It isn't very sturdy and it was wobbling like a good'un in the wind. The settings were 13seconds at ISO 800 (the aperture on the OP7t is f1.65).

When we was at the coast last year i took my DSLR to get the Milky Way, i picked the darkest area i could find with no light pollution pointed it towards the Milky Way and when i looked at the images all you could see what light pollution. I swear this was absolutely pitch black to my eyes lol.

Its a real shame your Mercury didnt come out, i dont think i have ever knowingly seen it.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Despite the light pollution it's still a nice shot. One of the problems with any astronomy in the UK is that even when we think it's a clear night there's still a lot of moisture. I didn't really realise this until I came to south of France and spent a few evenings outside in the summer - the air is so much drier, it's very noticeable. Still as it gets later the moisture starts to condense, so it's still not perfect.

I do have a mini tripod but it's not suitable to smartphones, I need to get one of those gripping tripods.

Here are my photos of Mercury. You need to open in another window to see it! I took them hand-held in fully automatic IIRC, with my Nokia 8. If I'd had a tripod I would have got a better shot.

First one to tell you which speck of light is Mercury!

Then the originals:

These were taken at almost the optimum time to see Mercury, it was just after opposition. The super bright object high up is Venus.

Cheers πŸ™‚

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Well you can just see it and that's the problem with Mercury isn't it, it is always really hard to see :(

While we're on a space theme the other week i compared the first moon photo taken with a digital camera i had taken (that i could find) against one i took laid on the bed out of the window (Canon 70D with a 100-400mm L on it)

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

@madbilly can you change the title at all? It looks a bit daft with me not actualy leaving thanks to a what's going on.

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi, @madbilly & @MrBelter,

how nice that you both are still here - and I keep my fingers crossed (especially @MrBelter in his isolation!) that we all will get over this unfortunate situation as soon as possible and as unharmed as possible. The German Minister of the Chancellery said in an interview yesterday that we certainly won't think about loosening the lock down before April 20th - that's still quite a long time away ...

But since I now -although I am (almost) working normally- have a little more time than usual, I took your excursion into astronomy as an opportunity to look through my photos and can participate with the following picture of the blood moon at the beginning of last year (Nikon D300S with 70-300 lens)

Good going to you all!

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Cheers Martin, 3 of us cooped up here and not allowed out until June 15th at the earliest (due to underlying health issues, even though we feel fit and well), i feel deeply for the millions of people in the same boat as it is mentally quite taxing. I am also starting to get worried over the food situation as i cannot get any delivered, we cannot go to the supermarket and we followed government advice and didn't panic buy so didn't stock up on anything.

Love the moon shot, very atmospheric indeed.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @martin.fd,

Nice pic! Great when one can see the red moon, even better when one can take a lovely photo like that πŸ˜ƒ

@MrBelter nice comparison of digital photography through the years - your latest photo looks great, we can see the outline of the craters against the terminator!

Yes, the problem with Mercury is that it is difficult to see. In fact, I don't think I ever would have knowingly seen it if I hadn't been given this book for Xmas: https://www.amazon.co.uk/2020-Guide-Night-month-month/dp/000825771X

It explains (amongst many other things) clearly when each planet will be most visible, which is when it is in opposition (a term I learnt from that book), so it was just a case of waiting until the right time of year and good weather and going out to see it. Once I saw it it made me think maybe I had seen it before, as I recalled something similar.

The other problem is that it is harder to see at higher latitudes because it is closer to the horizon.

What would you like the title of the topic changed to?

Cheers πŸ™‚

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

A quick app tip for astronomy fans:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zima.mobileobservatoryfree

(or in the ad-free pro version for 7,99€: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zima.mobileobservatorypro)

Shows among many many many other things also, when which sky object can be seen where:

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Lock down chat or something seems more appropriate now i think lol

BTW, i am called John πŸ™‚

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
  • martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Yes, Photopills I had already flirted with, but 11,-€ without the opportunity to test, I found a bit too much at the first glance πŸ€ͺ

But I might have to buy it sometime... if John recommends it πŸ‘οΈπŸ˜

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I got photopills when it was on sale at £5 but because i do Google Rewards it didnt cost me anything other than selling my soul to Google lol It really is a great app mate, maybe wait for it to be on sale again.

Just to add i got some food delivered earlier, a volunteer went for us some, i owe them something nice when this is over.

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Yeah, that's what I also thought, waiting for a special offer...

... and in the meanwhile to be happy that there are nice people who help you in such sh... situations πŸ‘οΈπŸ˜€

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

How's that new title? Too flashy?

I'm Will, pleased to make your acquaintance πŸ™‚

The only astronomy app I've tried so far is Sky Map, which incidentally was very helpful to confirm that what I was looking at was Mercury! Also made it clear that there's some drift in either the compass or the accelerometers, but I think this is fairly normal on all smartphones isn't it?

Cheers πŸ™‚

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

@madbilly Brilliant πŸ˜‚