Home› General› Anything goes

Tarah.... ah.... stuck in lockdown! Let's chat instead 😆 - Page 2

The good thing about Photopills is it can calculate where the Milky Way is at any location and show you if the core is visible from that location, at what times and what exposure you're going to need on what equipment.

Tarah.... ah.... stuck in lockdown! Let's chat instead 😆

Comments

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

The good thing about Photopills is it can calculate where the Milky Way is at any location and show you if the core is visible from that location, at what times and what exposure you're going to need on what equipment. It can do lots of other helpful stuff as well.

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

@MrBelter (John): "... what exposure you're going to need on what equipment" means, it can show this as well for my Nikon DSLR, for example? That would be really great! 🤩

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Yeah the list of cameras in it is very extensive, you choose your camera, the focal length of the lens and the aperture and it will calculate the exposure time for stars with out star trails. It is quite a shock at just how short the times are to be honest. It has a few excellent calculators, the hyperfocal one is good, use that and you can turn the AF system off on your camera because nearly everything will be in focus.

I mainly got it for the Milky Way feature though to be honest but i fear i simply do not live in an area dark enough. To be honest when Google released an astrophotography mode those of us that have been trying with DSLRs (and in my case failing badly) let out a collective scream of pain. I believe even your 3a has the astrophotography mode Martin and if this is the case some of the results can be incredible.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

That photopills app sounds almost too good to be true. Bit much for me though, I don't take such pride in my photography.

The Mobile observatory looks worth a look for me though.

Cheers 🙂

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

@MrBelter would you mind looking whether my Nikon D300S is on the list - that would be very kind of you 👍️😀

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Yeah it is there mate, mind i am not surprised the list is pretty extensive to say the least.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Any of you chaps in to aircraft photography? I used to love going to air shows but since the Shoreham crash in 2015 and the cuts in defence spending they are few and far between now in the UK.

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Not really ... at least we were planning a visit to the "Mach Loop" when we were on holiday in North Wales last year, but somehow it didn't work out 😉

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I'd love to go to the Mach Loop and i have been near enough to hear the jets flying in the area but you aren't guaranteed to see anything once you get to one of the viewing points and given we were on holiday i wasn't willing to risk full days doing that. I guess you would have had the same problem mate.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

I like air shows, aeroplanes etc and would always try and take photos of them but my photos of them flying aren't really worth talking about!

Cheers 🙂

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

We even went to two of the viewing points, but there were no planes flying at that time. When they did, we were on the beach ... family business 🤣

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

When i was a kid i lived quite close to an RAF base where Vulcans were based so i used to see them flying over quite regularly, to be honest they scared the life out of me. When XH558 got flying again and i saw it i was quiet emotional about it all to be honest.

That's gutting really innit.

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Wow - great picture!!! 🤩

And reminds me that the Vulcan also appeared in a book about military aircraft that I studied so often as a teenager that I almost knew it by heart ... now my son has it (but he prefers to get the information from the internet)😉

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

The Vulcan Howl is something to behold in the flesh, it sent shivers down your spine.

don't have your speakers up too loud for this 😂

I was lucky enough to go in to the cockpit of a Vulcan (and a Victor) and boy o boy is it cramped in there.

This is probably my favourite photo i took of XH558 when she was still flying.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

😲

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

@MrBelter (John) i just picked out my old book ... the pitted edge is the work of my budgie i had back then) 🤣

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

P.S. there's are a lot of really cool videos of XH558 😃

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

When it's engines failed after a maintenance mishap i was the only person on the end of the runway with a camera pointing at it. I was only taking a couple of test shots as she was 2 miles away down the runway and suddenly lots of smoke and 2 very loud bangs and 2 destroyed Rolls Royce Olympus engines.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

God dam budgies 😂. Even though Hawker Siddeley did buy Avro i have never seen it called the Hawker Siddeley Vulcan, it looks really weird.

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

These are almost even more spectacular photos than the ones above - in any case very atmospheric. But a situation like this is already a rather unique experience ... and a huge stroke of luck at least for the photographer 😉

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hows everyone doing today, tomorrow it is 3 weeks since i left the house, i am going a bit bonkers now to be honest.

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi John, that doesn't sound good - I am very sorry for you!

We're doing fine so far, although our teens are also slowly going crazy and we're a bit worried about grandma.

What is nice: Here in our parish there are a lot of people who put a burning candle in the window at 7pm for all those who are not doing as well as we are ... here is a small selection of them:

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi both,

We're doing fine thanks, but then we try to get out every day, at least one of us, for our toddler to let off some steam. Lockdown is really starting to show its affect on her - she can't play with friends, can't go to the park, and only one hour out per day isn't enough, she never wants to come home!

@MrBelter, you haven't even been out for a walk? Will it be too risky, not possible to stay 2m away from other people? Wear a hand-made face mask, glasses and gloves?

Nice to see the candles @martin.fd 😃

Cheers 🙂

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

We are missing our grandson, he was born very premature but he is now 7 months old and getting stronger by the day but we've not seen him face to face for a month now, this is very hard to deal with, video calls just aren't the same.

@madbilly Me and the missus are both shielding due to underlying health issues so basically i cannot go out and no one can come in until June 15th. It cannot be nice for your young'un, playing with friends and being social is such a massive part of growing up.

@martin.fd Love the candles, we have been clapping for the NHS, carers and anyone else keeping the country going at 8pm on certain days, they have been very emotional to be honest, nice to see our country pulling together for once.

https://youtu.be/Z5EpwAUwLkk

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi John,

Ah, that's sad, that must be really difficult. My parents haven't met our second child in person yet, she was born in February and my parents decided not to travel to avoid risking bringing us the illness! Now we know differently about who's more at risk but it was probably still a good call. At least you know how they're doing and can see them by video-call.

Do you get any priority on supermarket deliveries or are you dependent on volunteers, neighbours or nearby family members? The supermarket delivery slots seem to be rarer than hens teeth, so I imagine you have other means.

I've not seen such a good video of the applause etc before. The vids I've seen on the news have been much more muted - I like the ship's horn in Glasgow! Here in France I've not heard anyone applauding yet but we are in a fairly sleep little town and at that time we're busy trying to get our toddler to bed so have probably missed it!

The Chase the Rainbow activity looks good for children, nice to see something like that: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-51988671

Cheers 🙂

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

We don't get any priority but thankfully managed to get food delivery yesterday, it was like flipping Christmas lol. We could accept a food parcel but i know plenty of 70+ year olds than need them before us so we will see if we get that stuck in the future.

A couple of our friends have been to get us some bits and bobs but i refuse to let them be at risk by just going for us so we have asked them to sort themselves out first and If they can grab us a few bits while they were already there to keep us going that's more than enough i could ask of them.

When we were clapping the other night people were letting fireworks off, ringing bells, whistling and all sorts, it was brill and a surprise because there is no community spirit at all in the village i live in.

We've got printed rainbows up but people are mentioning on Facebook how the ones the kids are drawing are popping up around the village which is great.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

I don't know if my parents can get a food parcel or not, they've probably not looked into it.

I don't go out for bits and pieces any more, just for big shops and I try to get enough stuff to last us for two weeks at a time, which is both easier and harder than it might seem. The main limiting factor is how much stuff we can fit in the fridge, and fresh veg takes up quite a lot of space.

So does milk! Fresh milk is an example of where France the UK differ a lot. I got some stock of UHT just in case we run out of fresh milk, and we might... the supermarkets limit us to 3 of a single item, which makes it pretty challenging to get enough fresh milk for two weeks! The supermarkets also don't actually stock much fresh milk because French people don't seem to like to drink it, they seem to prefer UHT. Whereas in the UK the fresh milk often takes up 1/4 of an entire aisle, in France it's a 1m wide section of a single shelf! 🤣

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Thankfully i was one of the few people left in the UK to still use a milkman so that's not been a worry for us. That said i was talking, well texting a friend yesterday and she was saying how she had signed up to our milkman (to be fair there is only one with a large online presence in the UK) and they cannot order milk in glass bottles because there isn't enough to go round now so their user base must have grown very quickly.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Ah yes, my sister-in-law was boasting about how their milk is now doorstep fresh! A cruel boast, I felt 🤣

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Nothing beats that feeling of bursting though that foil top mate 😂