Home› General› Anything goes

Tarah.... ah.... stuck in lockdown! Let's chat instead 😆 - Page 4

Talking about "lack of pollution": we have been three days in our 2nd home in the Eifel (happy ones - I know ... and yes:

Tarah.... ah.... stuck in lockdown! Let's chat instead 😆

Comments

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Talking about "lack of pollution": we have been three days in our 2nd home in the Eifel (happy ones - I know ... and yes: we had "proper winters" there in the past) and there I had the opportunity to try the astrophoto mode of my Pixel 3a: not bad, but still optimizable 😉

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

The bottom one looks the better of the 2 there to me, shame you clipped Cassiopeia. Id be tempted to try a manual shot just to see how that turns out. Give a 15 second exposure at increasing ISO starting at ISO 800 a blast, it'll be interesting to see what that captures.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi @martin.fd,

Oooh, nice place to be able to confine yourself! 😁

I take it that those photos were handheld right? I thought that the astro mode took multiple long exposures and then matched stars between then to avoid blurring. I agree with @MrBelter the second photo looks better, but it's still interesting to see the colours that the astro mode decides to pull out on the first one.

Cheers 🙂

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

This is just a single image taken at 10 seconds and ISO1000 you can see Orion and The Hyades open cluster. I am really, really hoping OnePlus implement some kind of astro mode in the future.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Going though my old discs of photos (cos i've nowt else to do) i found one of the moon as it was waning, you cant half see the craters better.

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited April 18

Hey guys, finally I'm back: For two days I haven't been able to log in to my account - neither in browser nor on my Nokia 8 ... no idea why, I always got a "Whoops! ... error":

Now it goes - let's see, for how long?!

As to @madbilly: the first photo was handheld (maybe this is also the reason why it is not really "dark") and for the second photo I placed the phone on a tree stump. @MrBelter this is also the reason Cassiopeia ist clipped: unfortunately there was the next tree 😎😇

Anyway: Great pictures of Orion and the moon craters! 😃

Next time I will also try a series of manual exposure settings - these days it was too cold and the family wanted to go home ... 😉

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I never had the whoops error (i bet i will now though) i wonder what that is all about?

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited April 19

Hi @martin.fd,

I've had problems logging in on my mobile so I'm using my desktop where I was already logged in. However, I didn't get that message, I didn't even manage to get the email with the login link!

The moon is great to look at when it's not full, to see the profile of the craters against the terminator. That's a really nice photo @MrBelter. Next time you get chance, see if you can resolve the profile of the craters on the edge of the disc of the moon, that would be a great achievement 😀 I've only ever seen that with a telescope though.

Hope you both had a great weekend - we had rain today, first time in ages but still not as long as the drought period if Britain apparently! Rain moistened the ground so we could pull up some the triffids that have appeared recently!

Cheers 🙂

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

@madbilly what i have posted is really at the limits of my camera bodies and biggest lens. I'm all Canon and always have been but the Nikon P1000 superzoom is incredible really

We've just got glorious sunshine which is absolutely no use. That said i was outside last night watching the Starlink satellites passover and i realised i don't think i have ever seen Venus so bright, the lack of pollution in the atmosphere is really noticeable.

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

@madbilly right: in between I didn't get so far that I could have logged in at all (email login hasn't worked for me for a long time) - neither in the browser nor on the phone.

And fortunately the weather was not so great here on the weekend: I worked at full steam because today was the (postponed) start of the semester and we now have to convert all lectures etc. to digital formats ...

... but as a small compensation we had a nice walk in the evening sunshine today:

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Oh, that looks nice @martin.fd. I'd like to find a spot like that here, but since we're in the countryside the woodlands are filled with hunters at this time of year... normally, but right now the forests are all out-of-bounds due to lockdown, because for some reason they think we might catch coronavirus off trees? Or that we're at high risk of close contact with people there?!

Later in the year when the woodlands are accessible again and the hunting season has stopped it will be so hot everything is brown, even 30 degrees in the shade, so unfortunately it will be less appealing.

I still can't log in on that browser though (Firefox Fenix) so it must be a bug with the browser.

@MrBelter, that's an amazing video! I think you or someone else shared it on the forum before. It's a very impressive zoom and the video shows the atmospheric turbulence causing the image to wobble and the focus to change, so much that the camera is hunting for focus a lot! (or so it appears to me). Also, seeing the moon travel across the field of view is cool, really shows how fast the earth is turning.

You're right, Venus is at almost it's brightest right now, I think it will keep getting brighter until mid May but it will be getting closer to the horizon (and sun) and therefore might appear less bright... if that makes sense. (I might be mistaken, but I think that the apparent magnitude calculation doesn't take account of contrast with other light sources. It's pretty spectacular at the moment, properly shining down in the evening.

If we get up really early right now I think we can see Jupiter, Saturn and Mars together. I think the best opportunity was a few weeks ago but I think it's still possible. Personally I haven't bothered, as I think I'll get another chance at a more convenient time in the future.

Cheers 🙂

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

looks beautiful, i had forgotten how green the outside world is.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi @MrBelter,

I can imagine how you feel. If I couldn't get out in the green I would be struggling with this lockdown period a lot more than I am.

Do you have a VR headset? A Google cardboard and some headphones? Using one of these might help with getting in touch with the green world. 🌍🌳

If you want to make it more realistic you can open the window on a cold windy, rainy day to get that full freshness feeling! 💨🍃🌧

Cheers 🙂

• Karthik 2003 Karthik 2003
    ✭✭  / 

Ummm... Sorry to barge in uninvited😅. Just wanted to know what Tarah meant. Help?

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi @Karthik 2003 👋

I don't think you need to worry about barging in, after all this is a public forum, you can post in any discussion you can see.

Tarah means goodbye, it's probably only used in England or elsewhere in the UK and Ireland maybe.

Cheers 🙂

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

We have had the windows open from time to time but sadly some of the people around us think this is just one long party so the noise is quite intolerable at times.

I've no VR headset so i am a bit buggered on that one, plus i am used to walking 5 miles a day, being couped up is quite a strain.

• Karthik 2003 Karthik 2003
    ✭✭  / 

Oh thanks @madbilly. Was curious cause jaybird has a wireless earphone line that's called Tarah( guess you would know).

So did they name the earphones goodbye? That sounds kinda weird to be honest😅

Thank god I stuck with my freedom f5s😂

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

As @madbilly has explained It's just slang for goodbye in the north of England @Karthik 2003, it is funny how you forget language isn't universal. An American lady once asked me how i was, i answered i'm fine thanks, how's tricks? Now how's tricks in Yorkshire means how are things with you / are you ok? However in America the phrase has something to do with prostitution and her and her mates set about me for nearly an hour spouting a right load of old rubbish at me, i'd never heard of it being used in that context but they wouldn't have it.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi @MrBelter,

Wow, were you in America at the time? Odd that they wouldn't accept your explanation, seems like they were just trolling. Well, you escaped and lived to tell the tale! 😆

It's nice to know that people are finding ways to enjoy themselves without leaving their homes but I can understand that it can get grating, sometimes we just want some peace and quiet!

Can you get a VR headset delivered? And a treadmill?! I know that's a bit extreme but if you can get them quickly then they'll give you more distraction opportunities for the next two months.

5 miles a day? Wow, that's impressive. It's possible I might manage 2 miles a day just walking around when I'm at work on site, almost certainly 1 mile, but I never measured it. I don't manage anything like that much now, with teleworking, and when I finish it's time for some family time and they've already done their trip out for the day so I end up not doing much at all.

Cheers 🙂

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

No mate i wasn't in America (it really isn't a place that appeals to me, Portugal is my favourite place on earth) it was on a live stream of Leeds Bradford Airport as my mum was flying out and given the location of the stream i assumed everyone else was from Yorkshire, clearly not as it turns out.

I only live in a pokey hole, there is nowhere for something like a treadmill to fit, plus lets be honest getting out into the green space does wonders for your head. I might be a fat old man but i am missing the walking, the gym and the swimming baths.

Here is a photo of a sunset in Monte Gordo Portugal, the colours were wonderful and the sea looked like it was on fire.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Wow that really is an amazing photo! So purple! Rare to get a sunset photo without a hint of green in it.

Yes, a treadmill is a poor substitute for really going outdoors, I just thought that a treadmill plus a VR headset might help a bit.

Even without a VR headset you can still enjoy 360 films though, check this one out from the ISS:

I started showing 360 photos and films to my daughter when she came to see me "at work" in our spare room! Our worksite has some 360 photos and videos but I've almost exhausted those now so I started to look elsewhere. I'll look for 360 photo-stitches from Mars next.

They should probably be called 1080 photos, not 360...

Cheers 🙂

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

That ISS video looks amazing! i'll have to look on Amazon for a cheapo cardboard headset.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Speaking of green in a sunset a few years ago i managed to get a green flash (albeit a pretty crap one)

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Wow! I've never seen one before, in fact I'm not even sure I've seen a photo of one before! Well done for getting a photo. Did you seen it with your naked eye then quickly get your camera out or were you expecting it so were ready and waiting?

Cheers 🙂

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

No mate i was waiting for a nice sunset and look loads and loads of photos, i forgot my ND filter so 1/8000ths at ISO 100 was still letting in too much light sadly. I was aware of the green flash phenomenon so i just waited for the last sliver of the sun just in case and then that happened although i don't think i would have seen it with the naked eye it would have been just too small.

To be honest i wouldn't recommend anyone doing it you end up with a right headache not to mention risking damage to your eyes, North Wales does offer some cracking sunsets though, this is one of my faves and it is basically a photo of nothing 😂

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hey guys,

sorry for being so quite at the moment ... "corona digitizing" two lecture series is a **** of a job 😝

@madbilly: exciting video - I have to ask, there must be somebody here who has such a VR device, it must be breathtaking 😮

@MrBelter: great sunset pictures - I actually like the one with the green flash best 🤩

And talking about sunsets in North Wales reminded me of a series I took in Tywyn last summer when we spent our holiday in Llwyngwril (I really want to go there again, I liked the area very much ... if we can travel again):

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited April 25

Very nice 😁 (i do hope that is a big grin smilie and not some sort of sarky laughing thing)

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I took a handheld photo of Venus last night with my 7t, it wasn't particularly dark and as you can see from the tree the street lighting was quite bright. It did better than i expected to be honest.

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Wow, that is really phantastic - especially for a handheld photo!

Great composition with the blue gradient in the sky in contrast to the yellow tree 👍️😀

btw: your "suggestion" of yesterday led us to make a family holiday photo evening (great longing ...) where I came across another north Wales sunset photo:

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

That again is lovely, i think I'll be going back to Wales as soon as this is over, i was supposed to be going to Scotland in August but the trip was cancelled when the Edinburgh Military Tattoo was called off, hopefully our December trip will still go ahead though.

Here is another Wales sunset, i thought i would focus on the beach though for something a little different with this one, i really need to take a graduated ND filter next time.