Homeβ€Ί Generalβ€Ί Anything goes

Tarah.... ah.... stuck in lockdown! Let's chat instead πŸ˜† - Page 5

I started my 7th week of lockdown yesterday and i celebrated with a walk, man alive it was hard work after being sat on my backside for 6 weeks.

Tarah.... ah.... stuck in lockdown! Let's chat instead πŸ˜†

Comments

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I started my 7th week of lockdown yesterday and i celebrated with a walk, man alive it was hard work after being sat on my backside for 6 weeks. Lovely to get some fresh air and to see all the colours of the world though, the last time i went out the fields were brown and nothing was growing.

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I love this play of colours of blue sky, white clouds, yellow flowering rape and the lush green of meadows and bushes and I probably can't even imagine how liberating it must have been for you πŸŒžπŸ˜€

Have fun with the further "training" @MrBelter (John) πŸ˜‚

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Wow, great photos! πŸ˜ƒ

@martin.fd The VR headset needs to show two images, one to each eye, which obviously isn't the case when we watch that ISS 360 video on a normal computer. I don't know if Youtube can adapt those 360 videos to work with a VR headset or if there are separate videos for use with those. I have a Cardboard VR "headset" so I'll see if I can try out that video on that (with my Nokia 8).

@MrBelter glad you finally got out in the countryside! I hadn't thought of that, that if you go out in the car and find a secluded spot then you're not in contact with anyone and therefore it should be sufficiently low risk.

That's not permitted here in France, we're only allowed 1km from our houses for our daily exercise.

Cheers πŸ™‚

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I cant drive @madbilly those photos were taken about a 30 minute walk from where i live, my village is surrounded by countryside but what you dont see on the top photo is to the left there is a large town and to the right there is another large village so i guess surrounded by patches of countryside is a better choice of words.

I had to avoid maybe 15 people, some of whom were great and we abided distancing guidelines and some of whom just thought they owned the paths and were unwilling to give any ground whatsoever so i ended up in the middle of a 60mph road constantly checking over my shoulder for traffic coming towards me from behind.

It is basically a 1 hour 3.5mile walk if you stick to the triangle of 3 roads that surround my village, i have had enough of this shielding so i am taking an hour a day as per government guidelines for non shielding people. Its been raining all night and as someone that walks an awful lot a bit of rain never hurt anyone so fingers crossed the fair weather walkers will all be in doors today.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi @MrBelter,

Really? It's sad to hear that some people are so inconsiderate and selfish. At least you're within walking distance of the countryside though, I'm glad you're enjoying getting out and about.

Rain? 🌧 β˜” Do you remember what it's like after all these weeks of good weather?! πŸ˜† I think the weather has probably been better in Britain than Provence for the past 1-2 months, except maybe the temperatures.

Cheers πŸ™‚

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Great today, no one around because it is cold πŸ˜‚

I have walked for 4 days on the trot now, just using the same route as it is the best one i can think of to avoid as many people as possible and i feel so much better for it, i felt like my own head was crushing me before.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I've noticed an awful lot of fly-tipping whilst out walking, probably due to all our recycling centres being shut, it is going to cost a fortune just to clear all that up i guess.

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Interestingly enough, the recycling centers were not closed here and a gigantic run has developed there, because all the people have used the (forced) gained time to clean up and sort out ... 🀣

And @MrBelter I'm very happy that your well-being is (at least partly) slowly returning with the walking - I keep my fingers crossed that it continues like this πŸ˜ƒπŸ€ž

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited May 4

I am feeling much better for it cheers 😁

I am just looking at the repair sheet for my Nokia 8.1 and it is nearly 2 months since it was taken in for repair, i wonder if it has even been sent away to the service centre yet?

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Has anyone noticed any lockdown measures being lifted yet or an easing of restrictions? We're still in full on lockdown but more and more businesses are opening up regardless. Costa Coffee opend up the other day and there was a 2km queue to get a drive through coffee at one of them, i love my coffee and i spend way too much in the coffee shops but blimey i wouldn't queue like that for one.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Nice photo again @MrBelter ! That's a very stormy looking sky!

I think our recycling centre is still open but I've not been to check as we can do most of our recycling in the local bins (we don't have doorstep refuse collection in France so we have to walk to put the bin out anyway, so no problem to separate out and carry recycling too).

I don't see much changed here yet although one grocery did reopen recently. Our lockdown should start to be lifted on 11th May so long as we don't get a local outbreak in the next few days.

I know that being stuck indoors with little to do is no blessing, but I had to admit to being a bit envious since I feel like I actually have less free time these days! At the very least I'd like the media to stop saying that we all have more free time, that's really starting to peeve me off. I wonder how many others are feeling the shamed by the media for not doing more DIY! πŸ˜†

Cheers πŸ™‚

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Here in Germany, many restrictions are currently being reduced: children are to go back to school (step by step and alternately), many shops are allowed to open again (under restrictions such as the requirement to wear masks), tourism offers are allowed to come back to life (slowly!) ... and the discussion about "how much how fast is how good" is in full swing 😨

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

@madbilly it's the same with me: You get the impression everywhere that everyone would be bored because they have nothing or little to do - and here "the pope is boxing in chains" as they say and I don't know where my head is from all the unfinished work ... 😝

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Well it is all a bit weird here, Boris is still banging his lockdown drum but all the shops are reopening so i am not sure how that is supposed to work out, surely non essential shops should remain closed. I have noticed many, many more cars passing our house and a huge increase of people walking past in groups so sadly I'd say ours is breaking down and people are saying sod it which just shows what little regard our country has for authority really.

What is strange here is the number of excess deaths, i don't know how other countries count deaths but in the UK a coronavirus death is counted even if Covid19 was not the cause but was found in the system, the deceased could have been completely asymptomatic. However in our excess death figures which was something like 20,000 last time i looked 6,000 were Covid19 related and alarmingly there is no specific explanation for the other 14,000 deaths, they are just presumed as lockdown related and that is a shocking statistic.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi @martin.fd and @MrBelter,

It's very similar here. The government has announced the plans for reducing the restrictions including children going to school, more freedom of movement, etc starting 11th May for the "green" areas of the country. Schools will be in a phased manner and there are lots of concerns about how distancing will be managed/controlled plus the wearing of masks. We will not longer have to have our paperwork to leave the house, unless we want to travel more than 100km from home. Employers have to make sure that physical distancing rules are maintained, masks are worn, etc, so in fact anyone who can telework now will continue to do so.

Despite lockdown not being over we've definitely started to see people lowering their guard a bit more, following the rules less strictly. E.g. one of our neighbours told us she is higher risk so not at work and avoiding going out at all, and in the early weeks her daughter could come round and talk at a distance... now she and her boyfriend are going into the house for dinner! πŸ˜† So I don't think the issue is lack of respect for authority, it's just a little bit of complacency because people are now less afraid of the virus without any justification except that they haven't had it (yet).

Do you think paperwork and stricter policing/fines would have worked where you are? I'm not sure it would in the UK at least since there's no culture of always carrying paperwork around whereas in France it's mandatory to carry an ID card and whenever driving to have the insurance, roadworthiness certificate and registration documents!

@MrBelter I agree it's shocking that excess deaths appear to be much higher and not just due directly to Coronavirus. I presume that other countries will eventually report their total excess deaths in this period but they may not have quite (over)embraced the spirit of freedom of information in the same way as the UK. In France stats are sometimes even considered illegal! (I still don't understand that one, but our HR department says it often enough that there must be some truth to it). EDIT: I just found this website, it seems like everyone's reporting this stuff:

Here are the UK office of national statistics numbers for week ending 24th April. There's always a time lag with the ONS as they actually check everything unlike the government...

I think I saw a good graph on Sky News of all places which compared the governments numbers to the ONS numbers for COVID-19 related deaths and to the overall ONS numbers for excess deaths but I can't find it now.

Anyway, every country with more reported deaths from COVID-19 is now saying it's just because they're better at counting! That was the UK health secretary's excuse a day or so ago and it's what Belgium are saying now too.

Here's the total deaths per million people for most of the countries in Europe (you can pick and choose countries as you wish):

Cheers πŸ™‚

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Ive been using the deaths per million myself, it seemed the only logical way to compare different countries if it is indeed even possible to do such a thing.

To be honest in the UK there is so little respect for the police it would have made no difference, there are videos of kids just stood swearing at them saying you cannot do a thing can you. It is a situation that has to change in my opinion, i have always respected the police and thought i could always rely on a copper to help if needed but now younger people just laugh in their faces and show no regard for authority whatsoever so carrying ID would have made no difference.

Looks like our lockdown is starting to be eased from Monday but i fear quite a lot of people are just going to rush out thinking it is all over.

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Two impressions from my day's work... sometimes without any thoughts of Corona and similar things:

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

They are lovely, i like the framing, i am not a religious man in any way but i do have a thing for churches, minsters and cathedrals, i think they are magnificent and how they were built when they were with what they had was such an incredible achievement.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi @martin.fd,

Ah the Kölner Dom? I recognised it and tried to confirm my suspicions by checking online photos - none as nice as yours I have to say, very nicely done πŸ˜ƒ

I find all old and ancient buildings like cathedrals impressive, regardless of religion, because they're always so detailed, so much to look at and then so much to consider about the effort taken to build them.

Lockdown is over here, even in "red" zones although they have more restrictions. I no longer have to do my attestation before I go out, hooray! At least, as far as I know, but I will certainly check before I do next leave the house! πŸ˜†

Cheers πŸ™‚

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

We got a message from Boris last night that was clear as the mud in round one of the worlds muddiest mud championships.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I am now back up to a 3 mile a day walk 7 says a week but from today i can go our to exercise as much as i want to so i have just finished charging my Soundcore Liberty 2 headphones and i am off again in a minute 😁

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi @MrBelter,

Is that right? I didn't realise the exercise restrictions had changed, although I might have been getting mixed up with here in France where they have changed.

Anyway, great news! πŸ˜ƒ

Don't overdo it, you don't want a trip to A&E! πŸ˜†

Cheers πŸ™‚

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Yeah from yesterday (Wednesday) you can take unlimited out door exercise and you can travel to do it. You can also now go sit in a park and meet 1 other person from another household providing 2 meters social distancing are used.

You can also go fishing and play golf, i do like a spot of fishing but i only go with one of my longest friends, we don't really care about the fishing to be honest it is just a nice way to spend a day in the sun with a mate, thing is we cant do that as yet because it would mean the 2 of us in one car and you can only go alone at the minute.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

My walking is up by 394% over the previous 28 days 😁

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited May 17

Excellent - let us know when you've circumnavigated the earth πŸ˜ƒ

And be careful that you don't end up like me: I started jogging again for Corona's sake (I usually go swimming) and last week I promptly tore a muscle fibre in my calf (very light) ... one does not get younger πŸ˜’

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

That'll be some time off mate, i am just short of walking 5,000 miles (12 million steps) since getting a Fitbit. This has been hindered though because i have plantar fasciitis in my right foot which i did over stretching to change the shower curtain πŸ™„. It has taken me some considerable time to find an effective way to strap it up to enable me to walk pain free but i got there in the end thanks to cohesive bandage and some wrapping and cutting.

I hope your calf is on the mend, nothing like that to cheese you off an put a dampener on things.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I did just under 10 miles yesterday and no foot pain.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Ouch! Those two ailments sound painful! Thankfully I've not had anything like that but have felt considerably worn out from doing simple things I used to be able to do without feeling it, which I presume is down to lockdown unfitness.

Nice to hear that exercise is now easier to do anyway, always a good thing!

Technically we can now go and do more things but working all day leaves little time to get out and so far we've only had one weekend to make use of our new found freedom and ended up doing exactly the same as we did in lockdown! πŸ˜†

Cheers πŸ™‚

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

We are no further forward, exercise as much as you want but still no going to see your family or anything that you might actually enjoy lol

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Well there is a beneficial point to the exercise in terms of the virus, in that it should prevent chronic health problems which make it harder to fight the virus if it is contracted. And I suppose we still have to keep our distance from family and friends because that limits R, and the combination of R and number of current cases means is still too high for us to risk R getting close to 1 again.

At least there's videocalling.

Cheers πŸ™‚