Homeβ€Ί Generalβ€Ί Anything goes

Tarah.... ah.... stuck in lockdown! Let's chat instead πŸ˜† - Page 7

Even though the Nokia 8 is well past its sell by date it is a great shame HMD seem to constantly ruin a phone not improve them as time goes by, how on earth do you end up with a worse product after literally years of development.

Tarah.... ah.... stuck in lockdown! Let's chat instead πŸ˜†

Comments

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Even though the Nokia 8 is well past its sell by date it is a great shame HMD seem to constantly ruin a phone not improve them as time goes by, how on earth do you end up with a worse product after literally years of development.

Even on this Nokia 8.1 i have got, when i sent it in for repair the battery % was shown clearly next to the battery icon, after an update (which i clearly missed out on many) the battery % is now crammed inside the battery icon, it looks a right pigs ear.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @MrBelter and @martin.fd,

Nice to catch up with all your stories πŸ˜ƒ I've been very busy with work but it's calmed down again now for a bit. We went to the mountains last week and it was great but I am pretty certain that holiday places will be the cause of more COVID-19 outbreaks over the summer, so we're glad we went before they ban holidays again! πŸ˜†

Cheers πŸ™‚

• Clayton Murray Clayton Murray
    ✭  / 

Chat lock or something seems more appropriate

• Clayton Murray Clayton Murray
    ✭  / 

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

We've booked a few days in Wales at the end of August now things looking to be going in the right direction but i have paid extra to cancel on the day or arrival if necessary because I'm still owed £1800 after the holiday company i had booked with for our holidays this year went bust i don't for one minute think this sodding thing is going anywhere now everything and everywhere is opening up.

Going back to nearly where all this thread started have any of you seen this comet that is currently visible? We have had nothing but rain for days and days so no chance here at the minute.

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi, John (@MrBelter),

then I'll keep my fingers crossed that you don't have to cancel your holidays again, but can have some nice days in Wales ... we enjoyed the country and the people very much last year πŸ™‚

To the comet: the last days it was always overcast - no chance! And so low above the horizon it is always difficult with us. But now we're on holiday at the North Sea and there at least the horizon is always clearly visible ... as you can see on this photo of the sunset over the Wadden Sea off Cuxhaven (unfortunately it was so hazy again shortly after that that Neowise could not be seen):

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    Super User  / 

HMD forgot their best phones and the new ones are just getting boring with every generation. The bugs are still there but the x.2's are getting fixes faster then FIH ones. The SW situation should improve from now on and I hope they reduce their Android One offerings and start taking things in their hands. :)

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

It has been cloudy every day here as well mate so it is a bit gutting really, last time i photographed a comet was in 2007 (comet McNaught) and it was here and gone in a day thanks to its position in the sky and the photos i got were pretty rubbish to be honest, what a shame we didn't have all this digital photography stuff be it cameras or phones when Hale-Bopp was here, that seemed to hang around for weeks.

Your sunset photo is beautiful, if that is taken with your 3a then what a camera that has got on it, it is streets ahead of the OnePlus 7t or anything i have owned from Nokia. I think the last phone i had with a truly impressive camera was a Moto X Play in 2015, every phone camera i have had since has been worse than that.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I went to photograph it last night, what a load of rubbish, it is so faint not its not worth the effort.

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited July 21

Unfortunately it was pretty hazy here yesterday, but at least there was something to see (maybe I'll have more luck one of the next days):

And yes: the night/astro mode (and not only that πŸ˜€) of the Pixel 3a is really good ...

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Goodness me i couldn't get anything like that, it is all but invisible on the shots i took, maybe i need to wait for it to get deeper in to the night.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi all,

Oooh, a comet! I didn't know about that, I'll see if I can see it tonight.

Cheers πŸ™‚

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

it is now magnitude 2.2 so your going to need it to be very, very dark.

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I tried again yesterday ... not too much to see anymore:

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

They keep going on about how bright Neowise has been but this was McNaught in 2007 and it was very visible even in twilight. When i took this it was extremely visible with the naked eye.

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

What equipment did you use to take this picture?

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @MrBelter,

I think 2.2 is quite bright, but it depends on the scale used I suppose. When I looked it was supposed to be 7 and all I could see was a tiny smudge, but it was in the right place so I can say that I saw it! πŸ˜†

@martin.fd's photo is much better than what I could see!

Cheers πŸ™‚

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

2.2 is quite dim @madbilly Polaris is magnitude 2 and you would struggle to see that with a bit of light pollution and it is straight up in the darkest bit of the sky. Minus figures are brighter, Jupiter is quite bright at the minute and that is -3.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

It was a Canon 20D with a cheapo Canon 100-300mm lens on it. Sadly the clouds were moving pretty quick so i couldn't take a very long exposure and had to settle on 1/3 of a second, had it been clear skies i would have gone for a lot longer and got a lot more tail.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

This was the best i could manage (with my phone) but there is that much processing gone in to it to try to combat the light pollution it has rendered the image unusable really, it was 11pm and the sky was still blue!

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @MrBelter,

Well I think I must be struggling with unknowing bias, because I'm lucky to be living under one of the clearest skies in the world at the moment (there's an observatory a few miles away). Polaris is clear for me to see, but that comet wasn't when I looked.

Anyway, nice photo, even if it is blue at least you can see the comet! β˜„

Cheers πŸ™‚

• SirFaceFone SirFaceFone
    ✭✭✭  / 

Nice shot! Sucks we weren't so lucky. It's been cloudy for weeks lol

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Polaris is straight up though where is it much darker, because the comet was low in the sky and in the same area as the setting sun on the longest days of the year, you had to wait until it was very late to see it, I imagine all the best photos of it are when it was a morning object rather than an evening one, it would have been in the darkest part of the sky then with the brighting sky being 180 degrees in the other direction. If you look how low it is in Martins shot, it still isnt that bright and astro mode is something like 16x 15 second exposures all stacked up on top of each other. I know i never saw it with the naked eye, not a chance.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

i didnt even know it was there mate, i was getting tired and just took a photo in the general direction.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi all,

So, is Lockdown 2 coming soon? I hope not, but here in France I think it's looking more likely unfortunately.

Cheers πŸ™‚

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I don't hope so either and am even relatively confident that it will not come to that here in Germany.

The prime ministers of the federal states and the federal government have just reached agreement on not yet completely uniform, but at least more uniform, rules for dealing with the pandemic, and the Chancellor has formulated three key objectives as priorities:

"- Education must be guaranteed - in daycare centers and schools. Schools, for example, should be better equipped for digital teaching.

- Economic life must be kept going as far as possible or be made to work again.

- Social cohesion should be maintained as far as possible. The pandemic made "entire groups of the population particularly vulnerable". Merkel cited older people and those in need of care and their relatives, families with children in cramped living conditions, students who lose their part-time jobs, job seekers, small businesses and artists as examples. "We must pay special attention to all of them," said Merkel."

That doesn't sound like a new lockdown soon ... but let's keep our fingers crossed that things are going well πŸ‘οΈ

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I don't think so, well not in the same way as what we've all had to endure. If you look at France, Germany and the UK they have all had a rise in cases but deaths have not risen inline with the deaths as before after a couple of weeks lag, deaths have simply not increased. You can only draw a couple of conclusions really, the most obvious one is the virus is spreading though the young and largely unaffected by it population which is now showing up with wider testing or, and i apologise for this because it isn't very pleasant, it has killed the majority of the people who are too weak to fight it off and we are finally protecting the people that are left.

You can see in these links that deaths are not rising with cases any more.

France https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/france/

Germany https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/germany/

UK https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Well no one seems to know what is going on with the Nokia 8.3 (and it comes with the caveat that Nokia seem to knacker up not improve phones). I am not impressed with the camera on the 1+ 7t, there has been 2 major flaws with it since last October, there is a very noticeable colour imbalance between the 3 focal lengths and using the wide angle lens 50% of the time results in a very blurred photo (which when i was in Wales 2 weeks ago made my urine boil at the amount of useless photos) so i think i am going to go the same way as @martin.fd and look at a Pixel.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Just a quick update, since i said i was going walking again somewhere in this thread i have just passed 1100km, worn a pair of boots out and just today worn out the boots i bought to replace the worn out boots πŸ˜‚

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi @MrBelter (John),

as far as the pixel is concerned, I'm still completely satisfied with it and if you really think about buying one, then either one of the now quite cheap discontinued 3a or one of the also not so expensive new 4a would be a good choice πŸ‘οΈ

And as for your hikes: what the h... are you doing, that your shoes are already gone after 1.100km?! 🀣

In any case, I wish you a lot of fun for the next 1.000 (unfortunately, I don't get as much as I would like at the moment) πŸ˜€