Home› General› Anything goes

Tarah.... ah.... stuck in lockdown! Let's chat instead 😆 - Page 8

Well i have been pretty disillusioned with OnePlus @martin.fd to be honest, the phone has been great in everyday use (apart from the aforementioned camera bugs) but it is the we listen to the community about our products when they really don't, just like everyone else they just do what they want and once a new product is launched the old one is cast aside, it all feels very HMD to be honest.

Tarah.... ah.... stuck in lockdown! Let's chat instead 😆

Comments

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Well i have been pretty disillusioned with OnePlus @martin.fd to be honest, the phone has been great in everyday use (apart from the aforementioned camera bugs) but it is the we listen to the community about our products when they really don't, just like everyone else they just do what they want and once a new product is launched the old one is cast aside, it all feels very HMD to be honest. I am going to see what the Pixel 4a 5g offers because it seems to have a more flexible camera set up however if it offers nothing substantial over the 4a then a 4a it probably is 🙂

As for my walking boots i really don't know, they are lasting round 650km a pair which seems a bit low, put it this way i have just put 4 Bridgestone tyres on the car and each one cost the same as a pair of boots, they better last longer than the boots did 😂. When i have bought new boots this time i have bought a different and hopefully sturdier brand.

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

And, John (@MrBelter), have you made any progress in your decision on the Pixels? We recently got Android 11 on ist and it almost feels a bit like the old Nokia days: waiting for the next update and hoping that it will "repair" all the little things... well, thank god it's not as bad as after A10 on Nokia 8 😉

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I'm waiting for the launch of the 4a 5G and Pixel 5 to see what they offer, on paper the 4a 5G looks like a real winner to be honest, i may also hold off just to see what Android 11 is like on the 7t first as well, you never know they might fix the camera issues lol One thing that has miffed me is OnePlus have Samsungified the UI rather than keeping the stock look but you never know it might be nice to have bit of bling for a change.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited September 30

The royal bank of mum and dad have just had to bail my eldest daughter out for car repairs so i guess I'll be seeing what Android 11 is like on the 7t whether i want to or not 🙄

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I have just managed to grab a week away and just before i went my OnePlus 7t updated and when i came home i still had lots and lots of blurred images when using the ultrawide so i have lost my rag with it and ordered a Pixel 5, Oneplus had a year to fix it and didn't bother so stuff them.

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Oha - I am curious about your experiences! If the Pixel 5 only to a little extent exceeds my experiences with the 3a (which it should do 😉), then you should be more than happy with the camera ... 👍️😀

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I am really looking forwards to it @martin.fd it is going to be a bit weird going from a huge slab of a powerhouse to a "small" midranger, that said the Nokia 8.1 is still my favourite android phone that i have owned and that doesn't feel much smaller or slower than my 7t to be honest. I believe the Pixel 5 is the same sensor that the Pixel 3a uses so i expect the camera to be just the same, which to be honest isn't a bad thing at all, Google have said they have stuck with the old sensor simply because it makes keeping the camera software across the range consistent and that can only be a good thing. This 7t uses a 48mp sensor and pixel bins it down to 12mp and it is decidedly average which proves one thing, it is all in the processing and that is something the pixels excel at.

The Pixel 5 comes with some free £250 Bose headphones as well so that's my youngest daughters Christmas present sorted out 😂

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Oh my goodness it is small 😂

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Yeah - great, isn't it?! 🤣🤣🤣

Enjoy it! 👍️😀

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I've only 2 gripes really, 1 is my trusty old Belkin charger that i have used for years and years is no longer any good, the phone said it would take 2 days to charge using it (it was maxing out at 350mA for some reason). Now i like a slow overnight charge for my phones but not that slow. A 15w Anker charger did the trick but i didn't like how hot it all got and it was charging far too fast for an overnight charge so my Nokia 8.1 charger came to the rescue (i knew i would get something in here about HMD). It now charges clap cold and over a couple hours.

The 2nd gripe is i cant find a decent notification tone for email lol the one i have always used is no longer there even though i thought it was a default Android one.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

The Pixel camera is mighty impressive, to capture any detail in this leaf given the ocean of bright sky is really very clever.

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Was the leaf flying through the air or was it hanging from a spinning thread or something?

I'm glad you're happy with the camera - the potential is really huge 😀

Do you use any app for postprocessing? I do it with Photoshop Express ...

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I like that mushroom shot, it looks brill.

The leaf was hanging by a thread 😁 it is shame summer is over and the light is getting a bit poor but on the flip side cold crisp nights coming for that astro mode, it is just a pity from the UK the core of the Milky Way is not visible now until January and the it is very early in the morning.

I don't use any post processing on the phone itself, if i feel a photo is good enough I'll do it on my PC but for Facebook etc. i nearly always just upload them directly from my phone. That said i did use the new portraight light that is in Google Photos on a photo of my grandson and my god what a powerful tool that is.

This was edited on the PC but all it needed was the light levels lifting a bit.

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Very nice picture 🤩

I had something similar in front of the lens last weekend (actually I don't do much more than correct the exposure here and there):

And - to be honest - I never tried that portrait mode ... maybe I should do 😏

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

That moss photo i took was with the main lens using the standard photo mode not portrait mode, it is using the natural depth of field that a fast lens offers 🙂. Your photo has the same natural DOF, it is just mine was up on a post and the subject may have been a little nearer so it separates the subject and background nicely.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

The battery life on the Pixel 5 is incredible, i spent all day yesterday pratting about with it and racked up nearly 5 hours SOT and when i plugged it in last night it had 48% battery left. It'll be interesting to see what impact adaptive battery has when it works its magic.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

So after a week with the pixel 5 i still think the Nokia 8.1 is my favourite Android phone of all time lol Not because it performs the best but because of its size, that tiny bit of extra screen makes a world of difference, it is perfect.

On the flip side holding a Oneplus 7t now feels like i am holding a flipping surfboard.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Oh well, lockdown 2.0 here we go.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Presumably everyone everywhere is under some kind of restrictions again now which is deeply sad to see.

Hopefully everyone is safe and keeping busy and i am looking forward to seeing some photos when free movement is allowed again.

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Yes, we are in a partial lockdown here: schools and day care centers are still open, stores are also open and everything else (culture, sports, restaurants, etc.) is and will remain closed. And the politicians are currently discussing how many families/households are allowed to meet at Christmas and whether we should be allowed to shoot firecrackers on New Year's Eve ... I don't care about the latter at least 😎

But we are still allowed to go hiking (and geocaching 😉) and of course there are some nice motives:

btw: yesterday the Nokia 8.3 5G was available here for 444,- € and I actually hesitated a short moment 😂

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Those photos are lovely @martin.fd and the railway line ones is very pleasing, the rail takes you iight into the photo.

The 8.3 has dropped in price here as well which raised an eyebrow but it is massive, HMD could release a set of skateboard wheels for it and sadly i am not overly convinced with the HMD after support.

I'm not convinced the mmWave support on the 8.3 is of much use either, me and @madbilly chatted about it some time ago and i was the one saying Sub6 was a load of old tosh and mmWave was where it is at but i have swapped opinions now and think Sub6 is all you need really. 5G in the UK is really patchy at the minute and the fastest speed i have seen is 314Mbit (in the same location 4G got 90Mbit) so it isn't what you'd call slow but it isn't the speed that is important it is the latency, everything is just so instant, this in itself makes your phone feel so much quicker and i am just not convinced the exceptionally localised mmWave is even needed despite its massive speeds.

One thing the Pixel 5 has taught me is 6 inches is big enough for anyone (ooer missus), we've gone a bit mental wanting bigger and bigger phones. Even though it is lacking some bells and whistles the support it gets is regular and prompt which is what you are paying for i guess.

I've not been able to take many photos at the minute really, the weather has been poor and all my walking routes are now muddy so i am waiting for them to harden back up as winter progresses, i did take this the other week though. It was just a test shot of what i thought was a difficult subject given the light is blasting though the tree but the Google software strutted its stuff and managed to do a reasonably good job of it really.

• Rohit Singh 0424 Rohit Singh 0424
    ✭✭  / 

It is looking beautiful , the colour of sky is also well balanced.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Well that is all down to Googles computational photography, not even one of my DSLRs with my best lens on could have managed that i don't think, not directly off the camera without loads of editing anyway.

• Rohit Singh 0424 Rohit Singh 0424
    ✭✭  /  edited November 26

Well said Sir , you have a great knowledge of photography. It seems as if you are professional photographer. Keep posting these beautiful pics 😍