Question: Where are waterproof smartphones?

Were is Nokia waterproof smartphones?.were is old Nokia music player.

Question: Where are waterproof smartphones?

JAVA JAVA
✭✭✭  /  edited March 21

Were is Nokia waterproof smartphones?.were is old Nokia music player.

Comments

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi @JAVA,

The 8 Sirocco and 9 PureView are IP67, which is waterproof to a certain extent (not completely, but for most people this will suffice).

As you know the only music player on the HMD Nokia phones is the one provided by Google. I agree that it would be nice to see a Nokia branded music app but I think this is only worth doing if it brings something new and innovative which other apps don't bring.

I would be very happy with a return of MixRadio! 😃

Cheers 🙂

• Lazysince1995 Lazysince1995
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Don't know about standard and certificate. But most of nokia models are water repellent. Even 6,7,8 series phones I have seen in youtube videos getting tested for water test.

My nokia 6.1 plus survived twice, first when my phone fell in bath tub of hot water for 6-8 sec under water at more than 1feet. Second is when I traveled rain forest in last monsoon where my nokia 6.1 plus was completely wet for whole day in heavy rain.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Then make it clear what you're asking for. There's no point saying you're not happy about something then not being clear about exactly what you're not happy about, that's just whinging and not helpful to you or anyone else (unless you get your kicks out of whinging, which might be the case?).

For the record, IP 67 is waterproof. Submerged in up to 1m of water for 30 minutes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

As @Lazysince1995 says, most phones are waterproof, but it depends on 1) if they were tested for this and 2) how we define waterproof.

Cheers 🙂

✭✭✭✭  / 

@madbilly yeah I know for certification device must pass test which go through 1m underwater pressure upto 30 min. As you said Nokia 9 is only phone with that certification currently on board. But,

Actually most of smartphones by Nokia which don't have IP67 certification and even Nokia never claimed that they are waterproof. But in reality, from budget to high end devices all offer great protection against accidental water spillages and rain and more.

✭✭✭✭  / 

From now be specific on what your really what to ask. Don't know why it's seems as your conversation is always not on point or it leads to somewhere else in all forum threads.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi @Lazysince1995,

Yes good point, you reminded me that the Nokia 8 is certified IP54, which is splash resistant, so I'm not surprised that other HMD phones are similar even if they aren't officially certified.

Cheers 🙂

• NPraw NPraw
    ✭✭  /  edited April 3

Does Nokia/HMD ever advertise their smartphones as a waterproof phone you can rely on? The only smartphones they claimed to be waterproof are 8 (not even close to waterproof level), 8 Sirocco and 9 PureView (not the main selling point). Plus the 800 tough, which is not really a smartphone but it has the IP68 as you wanted.

Talking about IP rating, I remember Stipe from NokiaMob wrote an article of early Nokia/HMD models which are IP52 rated (water spray-proof). That doesn't really mean anything to get interested about so HMD did not put it into the spec sheet. Can't say if the later models are having the same rating, but at least that's good if they have it.

You also mention about the music player. What makes you want Nokia to create their own music player (like what HMD/FIH did with the Chinese Nokia 6 for example)? Is there anything good with it or what? Because I don't feel it really is necessary. Please, elaborate.