Homeβ€Ί Phonesβ€Ί Nokia 8.3 5G

Nokia 8.3 meme

Found this one on reddit . The Nokia x71 looks so good 😯 https://us.v-cdn.net/6031042/uploads/712/2ZSRADS6XEE5.jpg Btw nokia 8.3 tag isn't present ?

Nokia 8.3 meme

MdSadique MdSadique
✭✭✭  / 

Found this one on reddit . The Nokia x71 looks so good 😯

Btw nokia 8.3 tag isn't present ?

Tagged:

Comments

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I wish somebody from HMD could actually clarify why that chin had to become fat. Probably the X71 was another one of FIH's reference designs and HMD//their new ODMs were unable to develop the setup which would take lesser space. Who knows!

It is a pity that the X71 never managed to become global and almost never got software updates in the 2 countries where it is sold.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Very good observation @Ishrat Parween. I'm actually pretty sad now that the partnership between FIH Mobile and HMD didn't go on a bit longer, I think it didn't get enough of a chance to succeed and I would have loved to see what further designs FIH Mobile have. I'll just have to see what Sharp produce now...

Anyway, back to the 8.3 5G πŸ˜‰

Cheers πŸ™‚

• MdSadique MdSadique
    ✭✭✭  / 

Everytime we wish somebody from HMD will clarify or speak up in a certain matter But what we get ?.. only silence in most cases

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited March 24

FIH Mobile Ltd. (Should be a short for Foxconn International Holdings) - A subsidary of Foxconn (Hon Hai Precision Industry), is a company offering full suite of services including product design, development, prototyping, manufacturing, logistics, distribution and after sales.

It was FIH Mobile which developed and manufactured (via Foxconn) all of HMD's Nokia branded phones until early 2019. The Nokia 9 (or lately the Nokia X71 if you consider Chinese market) was the last Nokia phone made by FIH Mobile. After that Foxconn's Indian wing (Rising Stars Mobile India Pvt Ltd) has manufactured a few phones for HMD in India, but that was limited only to manufacturing and FIH Mobile wasn't involved AFAIK. Anyways, for now, HMD is no longer working with FIH Mobile and going forward, most of FIH Mobile will stop existing. They already discontinued their logistics and distribution business on 1st of Jan 2019.

You should refer to the several posts that @madbilly has made on the forums. You'll find a lot of information there if you are interested in how things were working under the hood 😊

----

Let's keep expecting. Maybe one fine day they'll be more open and interested in talking to us. I understand that there are so many business factors which are supposed to stay between HMD and its partners. However, maybe they can be a little open and listen to consumers when they sit down to develop their next smartphone. If they go out and ask, they can get enough information. Club it all together and then they can get ideas about what consumers want or expect.

• Abhilash Mishra Abhilash Mishra
    ✭✭  / 

at the said price range chipset is sd765 rather than sd865.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited March 25

Hi @Abhilash Mishra,

Maybe, but the 865 seems to be much more expensive than previous top range SoCs from Qualcomm.

@singhnsk why do you think that FIH Mobile will soon no longer exist? They were already a big business before the partnership with HMD and although they announced a move towards automotive I think they still have a big presence in smartphones.

Cheers πŸ™‚

• MdSadique MdSadique
    ✭✭✭  / 

Snapdragon 865 is expensive but wait for OnePlus 8 price 😁

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

@madbilly I am feeling that FIH Mobile has lost the game and the trust of OEMs and their consumers. HMD & Red Hydrogen are good examples. Even Essential involved FIH Mobile's investments and it is gone. Similarly, Razer, has failed to gain enough interest for its phones and FIH Mobile is an investor again. Sharp (non Japanese counterpart) and Infocus are losing traction too.

Just things like these make me feel that FIH Mobile is not a company to deal with and corporations will understand that. The reduced interest in their business is probably the reason why they decided to discontinue the logistics and distribution. Their in-house brands shouldn't be enough to sustain a company of that scale. So, there should be more parts of their business (related to phones of course) seeing a cut in the future.

That said, and after using the Nokia 7.2, I feel FIH Mobile was doing a better job at least in the field of making phones appear premium when taken in hand. The new ODMs can't match that level of precision and using quality materials for construction.

The buying capacity of the BBK group is so huge that they can still buy these chips for a price way lesser than HMD can ever get. BBK can buy a huge quantity, thanks to their several brands - IQOO, Realme, Oppo, Vivo, OnePlus. And then look at HMD, it probably isn't of the same size as one of these brands alone.

• MdSadique MdSadique
    ✭✭✭  /  edited March 28

Ok i understand HMD isn't that big to give Snapdragon 865 at a cheaper price but they can offer it at a premium price atleast ? They can offer a premium flagship with premium features at a Premium price or they can't even do that ?

• MdSadique MdSadique
    ✭✭✭  / 

Or another option could be using Mediatek Dimensity 1000 . It's also a very powerful chip and also cheaper than Snapdragon 865 . But don't know why people ignoring that chip

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

They will do it and the flagship should be on its way. Just wait for a few months now.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi @Ishrat Parween,

I agree with @Kartik Gada, I'm sure that HMD are working on a model which will use the 865, but it will not appear for several more months. But, it's not certain, after all we probably won't see a model which uses the 855.

Mediatek chips are probably risky for HMD because 1) they don't have the strong reputation with consumers that Qualcomm does and 2) they don't seem to provide as good software support. Still, these chips are an option, I agree.

Cheers πŸ™‚

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Precisely! They should at least build something to let the markets know that they exist and they make premium phones too, even if the product doesn't sell in the end. Hero/unique products work like James Bond. They put the brand in front of more people. However, given HMD's treatment of its previous premium phones (Sirocco and 9), I don't think that it's in the good interests of consumers to buy a premium product from hmd. Since the phones sell less, hmd happily puts them to the ignore list and the only thing these phones get are "Security patches", nothing else. No bug fixes, no improvements, nothing.

✭✭✭✭  / 

Was just watching C4ETech's Nokia 8 review and the conclusion is what you will not here about any other Nokia smartphone. Hear it yourself starting from 10:01.

I want HMD to stay this way. Nokia 8 like flagship with a perfect price, perfect hardware and a beautiful design. A well balanced affordable flagship. They can keep experimenting with the 9 line. 😁

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

You know that a phone makes sense when @madbilly buys it πŸ˜…

I'll take a pause and buy whichever phone he buys next haha!

The Nokia 8 was indeed right. It was the only time I felt that HMD is giving some competition in the premium segment. Price is the key. In fact, it was all fairly right until the Nokia 8, 7 Plus, 6.1... Things were going pretty well, except the hardware issues and very poor job at software updates.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Flattery will get you nowhere! 🀣

I think the 9 PureView was as good a flagship as the 8, possibly even better. It was only a little bit more expensive at launch and a much better specced phone - OLED screen and that amazing camera setup. Okay, the camera app on the 9PV is slow but we know why, but the 8's camera app can be quite random in its behaviour. The fingerprint sensor on the 9PV was embarrassing but the 8's is not much better.

Although the 8.3 5G will be launched at the same price it's not a flagship like the 8 or 9PV, or the 8 Sirocco. I think the next true flagship we get will be the next 9 and it will cost more like €800 at launch, like the Sirocco.

Cheers πŸ™‚

✭✭✭✭  /  edited March 31

The rear mounted fp scanner of 8 might not be fast but I am sure it should be reliable and will work everytime you place your registered finger.

The camera app on 8 is limiting but the pro mode works and tapping to focus won't reset the set values like it does on 9. The camera app is slow and that's fine but I believe there are many small issues with the camera app on both phones which can be fixed and they don't fix it.

The flash light doesn't work until you open and close the camera app. And the flash automatically turns off if you click the power button.

9PV was a good flagship but it wasn't for an average buyer. Not everyone will try to understand why the camera app is slow.

8.3 should have been launched as 7.3 and the 8.3 should have come with SD865 and thin bezels at front at that price.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

H @Kartik Gada,

It's front mounted and no it doesn't work every time. I think there's a second lag between placing the finger and the screen turning on unlocked.

You're right about the camera app.

I'm not sure about the positioning. The 8.3 5G is priced about the same as the 8 at launch, so they're equivalent, albeit the 8.3 doesn't have a flagship processor. The oddity was the 8.1, which was priced much cheaper than the original 8, but actually it's specs are closer to the 8.3 5G. I think HMD just have to get the right spec to market at the right time at the right price, then decide which number they want to call it - the name is the easiest of those jobs!

Cheers πŸ™‚

✭✭✭✭  / 

oops I forgot it came with capacitive keys. πŸ˜…

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

@Kartik Gada Bruh your keyboard made quite many typos above. Were you sleepy..?

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

To excited to spell check! 🀣

✭✭✭✭  /  edited March 31

Thanks for the heads up. I edited the comment. I wasn't sleepy but I was laying on bed and typing on my phone. And you know I do a lot of mistakes while typing on my phone keyboard. Didn't check them and just pressed "Post Comment". πŸ˜‚

• Nirmal Katariya Nirmal Katariya
    ✭✭✭  / 

Completely agree with @singhnsk .

Nokia 8, 7 Plus , 6.1 and 6 Plus all are the best back in days.

I think Nokia 7 Plus is legendary. Because of price, performance, camara and build quality.

πŸ˜…When I buy Nokia 6.1 all asking me why Nokia, then I don't reply them. I simply throw my device and ask them to do same.

Once my device droped from second floor and guess it's working fine.

But last year, When I was fighting with my friend, I threw my Nokia 6.1 like cricket ball. 🀣🀐 Guess it's survive just 2-3 cracks on display glass. I am happy about build quality.

Thanks πŸ™‚

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited April 1

Hi @Nirmal Katariya I'm not sure I trust the build quality as much as you do! πŸ˜†

You threw it like a cricket ball or you bowled it? Off-spin, leg, top, bouncer?! 🀣 🏏

✭✭✭  / 

Normal throw...

πŸ™ƒ but problem was I missed my throw. It cost me 2000β‚Ή

✭✭✭  / 

πŸ˜… but it is good idea. When someone ask you why are you using Nokia device then throw the device ask him to the same.

Because Nokia 5,6,7,8,5.1,6.1,7 Plus are built like tanks.

Just remember my one more brave move, I played football with my Nokia 6.1 πŸ€“πŸ˜Ž. That time I only lost screen protector which cost me 1USD or 70β‚Ή.

I think one case & one screen protector is all you need to play like ball with Nokia device πŸ€ͺ

Seriously That’s why I am using Nokia. For me it’s all about build quality. I can leave with bugs. I can leave with poor camera. I drop my mobile more than 1000 times. πŸ˜…always wanted to break this phone so I can get new one. But this phone never broke. πŸ˜₯But I will never find device like Nokia 6.1 all 6000 series aluminium build with metal plat behind the screen with support of 25+ Screws.

ThanksπŸ˜‰

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi @Nirmal Katariya you make a great point, it is very difficult to find a smartphone as well-built as those metal-backed phones which HMD made at the beginning. Maybe other phones manufactured by FIH Mobile (who made those phones for HMD) are also metal-backed? I think they make the Sharp smartphones now.

Cheers πŸ™‚

✭✭✭  / 

πŸ˜‚ Finally I broke my screen 3rd time.....

πŸ˜‚I hope it survive until lockdown will over.

Thanks πŸ˜€