That macro camera

Hi all, So let's talk about that macro camera, what do you think? Have any of you used a smartphone dedicated macro camera before?

That macro camera

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi all,

So let's talk about that macro camera, what do you think? Have any of you used a smartphone dedicated macro camera before?

Whilst I like the idea, and I'm exactly the kind of person who will use that feature a lot, I'm worried that it will just be a gimmick. I think that the image from a 2MP sensor with a small lens will actually be lower quality than using the main camera and cropping the photo to manually "zoom" the photo. Okay, the composition of the photo, depth of field, etc won't be the same, but the detail probably will be less good. I read reviews of the Moto One Macro and a Xiaomi phone with this lens and they said pretty much the same thing.

Note that the minimum depth is 3.6cm, which is quite close (obviously) I wonder if the camera has an LED ring around it for illuminating the subject, otherwise lighting will be difficult.

Cheers 🙂

Comments

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

My OP7t can do macro, its OK, not something i have found the need to use very often to be honest.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Interesting subject choice! 😆

The detail in that photo actually isn't very good is it, and most of the subject is out of focus, except in the very centre. I hope that HMD's implementation is better.

Cheers 🙂

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Lol it was all i had to hand.

Sadly with a macro shot the of depth of field is insane, unless you are very, very flat to the image lots of it is going to be out of focus. On this 5p the words Five Pence are 8mm across

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Now that's a good example of the macro lens in action! I'm not really sure when I'd use it though, because the field of view seems very narrow... can you estimate the degrees? I feel like when I would want to use it, e.g. with a flower, the field of view would be my first restriction rather than the macro "nearness" limit.

And do you have any idea why the pixel resolution is so small? I really wonder if there's any benefit vs cropping a high resolution image from the main camera.

Cheers 🙂

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

My guess is that the 8.3 is sensor cropping along with a lens that can focus very close but not close enough to be a true macro lens to get the desired result, that's only speculation though.

On mine i reckon you get 3 maybe 4mm of sharpness.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi @MrBelter,

The specs for the 8.3 say it has a dedicated macro lens, minimum depth 3.6cm: https://nokiamob.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/HMD-Global-Nokia-8.3-5G-datasheet-1903.pdf?x74139

So it's not cropping the main camera image, it's using that dedicated camera. That camera only has a 2MP sensor, which seems too low resolution to be interesting, IMO. Presumably though it's still better than a macro mode (like your OP7t) or cropping the main sensor.

How does your OP7t manage to get in focus at 5-8cm and why does it (and compact digicams in general) require a dedicated mode?

Your image of a ruler makes the depth of field look better than the pencil image, so maybe it's not bad after all. The coin looks good at first glance, but isn't that sharp on closer inspection, especially at the corners (as expected). All those images are different resolutions, what size is that macro mode normally outputting at?

Cheers 🙂

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Sorry i didn't mean to imply it was cropping the main lens but rather cropping a dedicated sensor that is probably bigger than 2MP to start with, it is actualy quite a good way to achieve the a result if that's how it is being done.

On the OnePlus 7t the images are whatever size the sensor is and you can select the dedicated macro mode on all 3 sensors, when you select the mode the AF assembly shifts to allow the for the much closer focusing, the ruler image was originally a 16mp image.

This is a 16mp image of the number 3 in the paragraph above, cropped to 2mp and then resized to 1000px. It clearly isnt the best shot on planet earth but it is more to demonstrate the magnifying effect of a sensor crop.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I see what you mean. Using cropping to accentuate the zoom effect of an already dedicated macro sensor.

But did you take that photo above with the OP7t? I can't get anything like that zoom level with the 8. I can just about see different RGB pixels in my monitor but I can't get proper definition of the. I might try on my tele later on, since the pixels will be bigger!

AF assembly changing to allow much closer focusing -that makes sense, I'm sure that's how I remember it working on pocket cameras for years. I suppose it makes sense it is possible on a smartphone too, I just didn't know if they had the same range of movement.

We're going to have to wait to see this camera in action before we get a better idea of how it works. In the meantime I might investigate the macro capabilities on other smartphones without dedicated lenses to see what they look like.

Cheers 🙂

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Yeah the number 3 was taken on the OP7t.

• A Abc A Abc
     /