[Moved] Android 10 update Nokia 5.1 - Page 4

@jdi000 for me it,s okay that you enjoying your living on The Nokiaplanet.Since Weeks you play the same Melody on your Nokiadrums.Time to see the Reality.

[Moved] Android 10 update Nokia 5.1

Answers

• Gingerino Gingerino
    ✭✭  / 

@jdi000 for me it,s okay that you enjoying your living on The Nokiaplanet.Since Weeks you play the same Melody on your Nokiadrums.Time to see the Reality.

The final Relaise Android 10 has been on 03.09.2019.At that Time the 5.1 Phone was 1 year old.It,s now One Year since Android 10.So it,s Not a Benefit,it,s that what Nokia Promised.I wait still for the Security Update.Nokias Custumercare does not Care.You should try a new Melody And enjoy your Nokia😁

• Tmav Tmav
    ✭✭  / 

Anyone else experiencing poor battery life and some lag during YouTube video playback after August security patch update?

• Tmav Tmav
    ✭✭  / 

I'm honestly done with Nokia. I don't know what their excuse is, it surely can't be COVID because other companies have worked through the pandemic and delivered updates and phones. Google, Apple, Oppo, Xiaomi, Samsung have all performed and yet we are still just waiting for Android 10. Nokia 8.3 is still not in stores. 🤦🏾‍♂️

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Not sure why this is any reason to be so negative. Does your phone not work fine on android 10. Are you planning on buying a 8.3? A couple of months is not a big deal to wait for.

• .SJ .SJ
    ✭✭  / 

Sometimes you should keep your mouth shut,and that's the time

• Tmav Tmav
    ✭✭  / 

Clearly nothing matters to you. You have no expectations you have no standards and so anything is okay with you.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Clearly the phone you have works so it's more your desire to get a new phone. So standards are a working phone that is up to date and reliable.

• Tmav Tmav
    ✭✭  / 

My phone is not up to date. I haven't received my Android 10 update, and now Android 11 has been released.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Your phone is using up to date security patch. No phones have android 11 except pixels. You will get android 10 when it's works as expected and can be released

• Tmav Tmav
    ✭✭  / 

As it stands the Nokia 5.1 is not up to date. It is supposed to be running Android 10 as of June 2020 but it's late September and there is nothing.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

The 5.1 is up to date with security patches the os update has not come out yet. So please be patient and enjoy your device.

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

Let's call it this way per their marketing:

Pure - Yes

Secure - Yes. As you say the security patches.

Up to date - No. Because that means having the latest Android. A device can't be up to date with older Android version even after a year past the release of a newer version.

The users are right to ask for when they'll get the update and why it wasn't delivered according to the previously announced schedule. Somebody has to shed some light on it.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Yes the phone has not been upgraded to android 10, and will not be updated till the build works which is probably very difficult for an old mediatek processor that is in the 5.1. Its unfortunate but the reality is the processor / hardware configuration may never run android 10 very well. Yes users have a right to ask but as seen here there is no comment or updates on android os build updates or timing from hmd Nokia.

• Tmav Tmav
    ✭✭  / 

Yes one plus has given its customers an update on why the 5 and 5T have not yet received the update. Why can't Nokia do that and put us at ease?

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

I believe that's all an issue for HMD to think. It was their choice of CPU and other hardware when developing the phone and again it was theirs when promising the updates and once again when they announced a schedule for the delivery of updates.

All that the users would need right now is an update on the status of what happened to the Android 10 update and when it should be expected next. I do not fairly accept that users be asked to stop asking about the update just because HMD has failed to deliver on time and because the phone works fine on Android 9.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

No one can predict 2 years from now the min. Hardware requirements for android os. I doubt any other phone company would even try to update phones in these price ranges and most don't.

It's fine to ask or complain about not getting an update. It's also being realistic that no company is judged by a single offering but a sum of the whole body of work.

It makes no difference if they have a public update for anything - os update or delay news or bug fix timing as it does not change anything even the impression of the situation.

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

Once again, it is on the company officials who took the decisions to market a product a certain way. Their inability to foresee how the situation will be 2 years later is not a justifiable excuse to delayed/missing updates. It would be same as an insurance company issuing a policy and then saying... "We did not expect this to happen". Even then, they can fairly say that this device cannot be updated because it does not meet the hardware requirements - just how they did with the Nokia 2. Since they did not and they do have a schedule for it, it is obvious that it will be updated and they are just not spending enough resources on it right now probably because it wasn't sold well enough.

It's also being realistic that no company is judged by a single offering but a sum of the whole body of work.

Sure. And I am not judging a company based on it. All I'm saying is that the users have a right to ask about the update for this particular device and the last thing they'd wanna hear is somebody blaming them for asking about the update and that they should just STFU and wait for update whenever it happens.

It makes no difference if they have a public update for anything - os update or delay news or bug fix timing as it does not change anything even the impression of the situation

It changes a lot of things. The first thing that it tells you is that the company knows your problem and they understand it and are working on it. The next thing that it does is it gives the peace of mind to the user and in case the quoted ETA does not suit the user's needs, he/she can change to a different product. Why do you think they even publish an ETA for the updates in the first place?

If your internet line stops working or if your electricity is shut down or if your courier does not arrive on the scheduled date or your device is sent for a repair, do you ask the company about what happened and an ETA? Or do you just sit down and wait patiently in the dark for somebody to show up and fix your thing?

An effective, timely and responsible communication is a strong backbone of any kind of business. IDK why we are even arguing on this one.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I understand your points. The point I am making is the phone the 5.1 and 3.1 is working fine with android 9 and has been kept up to date with security patches. It's unfortunate that the updates are so delayed for 2 yr old phones and they were successfully updated to android 9. For this range android 10 is the gravy. Too bad the gravy is sticking to the bottom of the pan.

I also agree that it's good to have communication but my point is the company hmd does not provide updates period so none are expected in any situation. Even with the nokia 2 there was little communications.

Other brands do not comment on bugs or updates so I do not see hmd / nokia as an outlier here. It's same as a lot of phone manufacturers for this type of product.

Business model is 2 yrs of os updates and as they are trying to do it in good faith I don't have any issue with hmd or with users being upset. As long as the phones work and are patches for security I do not think the situation is as bad as The 2.2 and 2.3 notification bug which is far worse and is unexcusable.

• Tmav Tmav
    ✭✭  / 

They provided an update to the 5.1 plus which had a WiFi bug before the Android 10 update. Maybe it was a once off but it makes me feel like they've forgotten about our device.

• Tmav Tmav
    ✭✭  / 

Other brands not communicating is an opportunity for HMD/Nokia to be better, have competitive advantage over other brands.

• DanielS DanielS
    ✭✭  / 

They could maybe just make Android 10 Go edition run stable on Nokia 5.1 if the hardware was to old. It would probably be sufficient for most users.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

It might not be the age but the chip itself working well with android 10

• Tmav Tmav
    ✭✭  / 

Another security patch with no Android 10. 😠

• robinwood robinwood
    ✭✭  / 

Hi,

We have this common problem with Nokia 3.1 (not 3.1 plus, but 3.1), still on Android 9. The phone release date is the same

Just received Android 9 - 2020-09 security patch on 2020-09-22 but still Android 9.

Kernel is 3.18.119 for Nokia 3.1 (don't know if it's the same for Nokia 5.1, which is mediatek based too)

May be for being forgiven of an entire year delay about Android 10, their team is working to put Android 11? Then it would turn to be a good thing, but I'm not even sure they are still planning upgrade Android version anymore, nobody is, because Nokia tells nothing.

Without any answer from Nokia it may be necessary to reach Google about the Android One label promises. Nokia promises about getting major upgrades released within 2 years and a 3rd year of support for security patches. But Nokia 3.1 and 5.1 only had major upgrade to Android 9, which was released few months after the phones, then nothing for Android 10 or 11. Approximately 1 year of support is remaining, so we may need to do something.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Is the nokia 3.1 or 5.1 considered Android one phones ? Not sure you have much of a leg to stand on, since they are still providing security updates and trying to build a android 10 version that can work with the processors in the 3.1 and 5.1.

• robinwood robinwood
    ✭✭  /  edited September 2020

Of course they are Android One, on the website, on the boot logo and even physically on the case.

But nobody can be sure about the fact they are still working on Android 10 as expected, Nokia is not communicating at all about it. According to the specifications of what we bought, Android 10 should have been deployed for a long time already for those devices. This delay is violating the specifications. It's becoming urgent for Nokia to tell something.

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    Super User  / 

Yes, All Nokka smartphones except, 1st gen Nokia 2, 3 5 6 and 8 are Android One smartphones and yes it is eligible for Android 10 update. BTW the updates are not made by HMD. They are made by FIH and they are delaying it a lot. It is HMD's duty to look into this and update their customers regarding the updates.