Do you have the right to repair your phone? Do you want that right? Sign this ⏩

Hi all, Short read: Check out and sign this petition 👍 I'm sure that many of you, at some point, have had some electronic item break.

Do you have the right to repair your phone? Do you want that right? Sign this ⏩

madbilly madbilly
Super User  /  edited March 2020

Hi all,

Short read: Check out and sign this petition 👍

I'm sure that many of you, at some point, have had some electronic item break. Maybe it failed by itself, or maybe it broke due to your mistake, e.g. getting it wet or dropping it on the floor. When that happened, what did you do? If it was still under guarantee/warranty and the failure was not your fault then you probably sent it back to the manufacturer. Otherwise, are you technically minded and tried to fix the item yourself, or were you able to easily find a repair shop who could repair it for a reasonable price?

Neither? You had to recycle it and buy a new one?

Exactly, that's the problem - modern consumer electronics seem to be designed to be either not repairable at all or only repairable with special tools which normal people don't have. In addition, the information about the construction of the device, which parts do what and the availability of spare parts to buy, is often severely limited. Smartphones seem to be the worst example of this. Some manufacturers lead by a good example, e.g. Fairphone, but the vast majority require special tools and parts often cannot be obtained outside of authorised repair networks, at such high prices that repair is uneconomical - looking at you Apple 😡

HMD is no exception, AFAIK they don't make it easy for anyone (public or commercial) to get information on how to repair their devices or to get spare parts. In fact we have seen on this forum many many times where a device has failed within warranty and been sent to repair but it is considered unrepairable because the spare parts aren't available or it is uneconomic, e.g. Nokia 8 displays. The owner often gets replacement or some sort of refund, so may eventually be happy with the result, but the result is not a good one, because all of that energy and those materials made to use the phone are wasted.

If the EU implements right to repair legislation for smartphones and other consumer electronics it won't just benefit people in the EU. As the EU is one of the largest single markets for these devices vendors will have to comply with the legislation and this will influence their operations in other parts of the world, so potentially everyone will benefit from this right to repair. Even if there is no direct benefit, it will give citizens of other countries an example to show to their politicians to encourage them to do the same, or better.

By signing this petition you will send a signal that you want your smartphone to be repairable by you or a professional of your choice, not restricted by the vendor of your smartphone, be that HMD, Apple, Fairphone or anyone else.

Cheers 🙂

Comments

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

Thanks for sharing this. I wish I could hijack the forums and mark it as "Announcement" to get more signatures 😸

I just signed it, and I know the Chinese won't stop dumping their use & throw stuff (I know the current HMD is no different) in my country. But I hope for a greater good for the earth and its limited resources.

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    Super User  / 

That's a very nice demand. These manufacturers will reach new lows just to make profit. I signed it too. Need more signatures and I hope with this comment the post appears at top again. 😉

• AniketThakur AniketThakur
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

That's very good point. Count me in too. Hope hmd will improve 😂

• gravemind2015 gravemind2015
    ✭✭  / 

Personally I stick with my devices for as long as I can. The thing is, manufacturing defects (HMD, watch your ports please) and occasional accidents can make these devices pretty hard to be daily drivers. I do want the availability of spare parts and the ability to easily get my device repaired.

The port failure of my 7 plus and the unavailability of a spare nearly marked the end of this device but luckily I got a good replacement so I even have an extra one stocked.

It'd be a great thing to have parts available and if possible, have some standardisation wherever possible like battery dimensions or ports so that we (those who want obviously) can enjoy our devices for long, which will ultimately be better for ewaste management and for the planet.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi all, thanks for your support, nice to know there are some likeminded people here 😃

@gravemind2015 what you say about standardisation of dimensions and ports is a long term dream for smartphones to achieve a modular design. However this modular design is at odds with the current aesthetic direction of the smartphone designers and "industry trends". Fairphone and Motorola are the only manufacturers who have really got close to this as far as I can tell, but neither are very close to the end goal.

Cheers 🙂

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

Talking of standardization, I remember the days of removable batteries and the Nokia's BL-5C battery. Oh man! Even other (Chinese) companies were shipping phones with the same battery dimensions and so so so many thid-party companies used to offer compatible batteries. You could literally find a BL-5C (or compatible ones) in literally any mobile shop, big or small.

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    Super User  /  edited March 2020

BL-5C and BL-4C. You can still find those as HMD Global is still using same batteries for its feature phones and I was very happy about it when I bought the Nokia 150 in 2017 😁. However, I feel same cannot be done for smartphones now as all smartphones come with different size of batteries and different internal deaigns.

OR

Maybe HMD should make 4500mAh batteries standard on all their smartphones.🙈 That would also help them reduce the cost of batteries as they would buy it in bulk.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

😃Great idea @Kartik Gada !

One of the reasons HMD don't standardise battery sizes in smartphones is because it would contrain their designers too much. A battery which is user replaceable also needs to have a hard shell and larger contacts, and the phone must have matching contacts and a battery compartment, all of which makes the phone much bigger and/or less space for other things.

Cheers 🙂

• DibyaXP DibyaXP
    ✭✭✭  / 

Done guys . Most phone can be resurrected with just battery change and lineage os port .

Bring it on . Hmd shall sell parts of discontinued models in their site.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @DibyaXP,

That's a good suggestion, HMD should be able to make a few extra €s selling old stock on their website for a premium price!

Cheer 🙂

• DibyaXP DibyaXP
    ✭✭✭  / 

I need a display right now . Lol 😂 🤣 I shattered my whole Nokia 8 display still working but it is horrible to watch anime through broken glass.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  /  edited April 2020

Hi @DibyaXP,

I think your only chance is to find a dead Nokia 8 and see if you can swap the display from it and hope it works.

Or, you can decide if you trust any of these listings: https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20200407003924&SearchText=nokia+8+display

Cheers 🙂

• DibyaXP DibyaXP
    ✭✭✭  / 

Finding a dead Nokia phone is like finding a needle in sand of Thar Desert .

I know a guy who claims he can replace just the glass of the display. I will go to him after panda flu is over .

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Ooooh, I wouldn't bother just replacing the glass. Can you see any parts online for just the glass? I couldn't find any, which means it's not intended to be separated for repair. Doing that is likely to destroy the LCD and then you won't have a phone to use at all.

Stick with trying to get a replacement assembly, I'm sure it will be more successful.

Cheers 🙂

• DibyaXP DibyaXP
    ✭✭✭  / 

May be I shall take it to Nokia care then . Hope they don't charge too much.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @DibyaXP,

Well, if you can find a Nokia care centre that still has spare screens for the Nokia 8 then you will be lucky! As far as I know, anyone who has asked for a repaired or replaced screen for a Nokia 8 in the past year (almost) has been offered a replacement. But that is only if the phone is under warranty, I don't know what will happen if your phone is not under warranty any more.

Cheers 🙂