Stuck on June security update

Hello forum people!

Stuck on June security update

user1529407828669 user1529407828669
 /  edited August 15
Hello forum people!

I usually receive my security updates within 20 days of their release but I'm currently stuck on the June update, while others receive the August one.
I contacted support and they told me to be patient, with which I have no problem, but I just wanted to ask the users to see if anyone's got a similar problem?

Thank you.

Comments

• user1531487969843 user1531487969843
    ✭✭  /  edited August 15
    Check your software build if its 2_22A_SP01 you won't get the July or August updates
  • user1529407828669 user1529407828669
     /  edited August 19
    Oh it is 2_22A_SP01.

Will I get other updates after September and the update to Android P?
  • That's a good question if we don't get the August update by the end of August then I would say no, I hope I'm wrong
  • Mike360 Mike360
     / 

just received the google security patch 2018-08 on my Nokia 6.1 TA-1050 UK. 

• @usermike360 what build are you on 22A or 22E
  • Mike360 Mike360
     / 

@user1531487969843 my phone build is 22E_SP02

• @mike360 thanks for letting me know your build number mine is a ta-1050 on build 22A and it's looks like Nokia are going to miss giving updates to this phone and build, thanks again for letting me know
  • eddman eddman
     / 
    @user1531487969843

Did Nokia/hmd really say they won't? Why? Which thread?

Does this mean they will not update these 6.1 variants? That would be a breach of Android One contract.
  • @eddman no they didn't say but with all the trouble ppl are having getting the updates for models on the 22A build I have just been onto Nokia care and they said the updates depends on 1)your country 2)your provider 3)your manufacturing model. Well seeing as the model I have a ta-1050(UK version) and is sim free and unlocked that's means I should get the updates as soon as they are released I have not heard of any other ppl here in the UK with the 22A_SP01 build getting the August update
  • I see that the answer by user*43 has been marked as the correct answer, but there is absolutely no basis for that.

I too am on the 2.22A build with the June update.
    This is even more of an issue since this update drastically reduced the volume of my calls. I'm desparate to find out if the update will fix this before sending the phone for an rma.

Very annoying that within the android one program there is still a difference in update approach.
  • Hopefully Nokia/HMD will be able to give us the August or September update and skip the July one, if there's a problem with that. Maybe even the Android P update if we're lucky? The rumours say we should get it this month or the next ("we" meaning Nokia users).
  • maxh maxh
    ✭✭✭  / 

To make it more confusing, this morning I received the August update on my Nokia 6.1 AND my wife received the update on her Samsung A5(2016). About the same time. Same cell provider. Looks like the provider "opened the update-gate".  

• @maxh aren't you on the 22E build that's what I cannot understand why they update for one version and not the other unless there is a serious hardware/software problem with ta-1050/22A_SP01
  • Mike360 Mike360
     / 

if your having trouble getting the update try this below... i did that and i received June and July updates. 

Phone - Nokia 6.1 from Carphone Warehouse UK, Sim Free with Vodafone sim. Was stuck on May 2018 patch level.

(I downloaded VPN Melon)
    Popped Sim out, factory reset with sim out. Didn't restore device from previous google backup, logged into my google account. Jumped to Play Store, disabled any automatic update/download of any app. Immediately downloaded VPN Melon, connected to USA. Went to settings / check for update. Installed update (June 2018) 

Update required phone reboot. Rebooted. Immediately went to Play store, stopped any auto update. Went to VPN Melon, connected to USA. Went to settings, check for update. Installed update (July 2018).

Rebooted ... did same as above. No update available (you may get the august update). Factory reset phone, pushed in sim card when it rebooted, restored google account from previous backup, all good.

• Snacko Snacko
     /  edited August 21

I appreciate all the feedback about resets, VPNs etc., but this is clearly not a solution, esp. if it's a hit or miss too. Nokia should get the head out there back and fix the problem. They sell their phones on timely updates, if the phone doesn't update anymore this product is defective, and all this VPN-voodoo and carrier excuses don't carry any water on an unlocked phone without SIM.

• user1531487969843 user1531487969843
    ✭✭  /  edited August 19
    Have to agree with snacko we shouldn't have to do the VPN thing, it shouldn't matter what model or build your on unlocked or locked the updates should be released as promised especially being a androidone phone as well
  • Completely agree.  Nokia phone owners shouldn't have to jump through technical hoops to get the downloads advertised by Nokia.  Nor should we have to shut down every app to keep the phone functional.  Why not just make a phone that works in 2018?  You know, like every other phone company.  I know there are rogue apps but it's ridiculous that the advice seems to be to close down everything that isn't stock.  What's the point of a smartphone then?  Btw, my phone shut down even in safe mode so there goes that theory about 3rd party apps.

I don't know the rhyme or reason, but my phone is now on the August patch.  This was after I had been on the June one during the first week of August.

• Did anyone go from June to August this month?

I did the trick of resetting my phone and making it think I was in the US and got to July.

Today I auto received August so looks like it's fixed. I'm in the UK

• nicos18 nicos18
     / 
    user1531555188860: I don't think it's fixed, because I didn't receive anything on Nokia 6.1 TA-1043, build 22A
  • nicos18 nicos18
     / 

@Mike360: which build have you, 22A or 22E?

• Mike360 Mike360
     / 
    22E
  • nicos18 nicos18
     / 

@Mike360: I asked because I wanted to try your solution, but, unfortunately, I have the 22A variant, and I think that I could waste time, because whose on 22A have serious issues getting updates. HMD, where are you?

• nicos18 nicos18
     / 
    user1531487969843: I have model TA-1043 with build 22A_SP01, and I didn't receive any update from June. So, I think the problem is not the model, but the build you are based on.
  • Mike360 Mike360
     / 

@nicos18 try it you never know. :)

• RichardR RichardR
     / 

In your phone dialler, type in : *#*#2432546#*#* The last start will activate the command. You should see a notification after some seconds, a triangle with an exclamation mark, with the message 'checkin successful'. Try updating after doing that.

This has solved the issue for many of us

• geobernd geobernd
     / 
    After being stuck on June 'B' build and getting the run-around from Nokia support the last couple of days I just picked up up another 6.1 at BestBuy (same place I got the first one) - they are discounted today and with the prepay refill combo priced even lower than last time.

Here is the interesting part:

The new one came with a May 'A' build (but had a newer label 7/2018 instead of 6/2018 on the box and a higher serial number). I though 'well that won't work'.... To my amazement the May 'A' build updated to June 'E' then to July 'E' and just finished August 'E' - yay - this may be a winner.

It those of us who got an 'A' or 'B' June version are hosed - at least for now - maybe those versions should never have gone out and the 'E' June build fixed whatever they broke... Also makes it look like there may not be different HW versions correlated to A/B/E.... Either way I think I am set now....

For the old one: I will keep it for another week or so to make sure the new one runs fine and then will use the Chase Visa Credit Card 'Return Protection' (this benefit is going away by the end of August) to return the old one with no costs to me except shipping.
  • If there aren't differences, it doesn't explain why there are A, B, and E variants listed on the Nokia security update page and that all three have updates listed for June and July (whether received or not). Ideally of course there should be just one update, and it may be eventually one update will cover all three variants. Without knowing specifically why there are three variants it's all guesswork, but you can only imagine preparing three versions would take more effort.
  • nicos18 nicos18
     / 

@RichardR: I tried as you posted, but nothing changed, still nothing

• So, I have a $270 paperweight. I hate it when companies lie to you.
  • To be fair, if you have Roku TV, the paperweight works well as a tv remote.

Prev1