8.3 5G supported frequency bands

Hi all, Since this is quite an important point not yet publicised by HMD I thought I'd start a new topic on it.

8.3 5G supported frequency bands

madbilly madbilly
Super User  / 

Hi all,

Since this is quite an important point not yet publicised by HMD I thought I'd start a new topic on it. I contacted support who were very helpful and confirmed to me that the supported frequency bands of the Nokia 8.3 5G will be:

• GSM : 850, 900, 1800, 1900
  • UMTS: B1, B2, B4, B5, B8
  • LTE-FDD: 1, 2, 3, 4/66, 5, 7, 8, 12/17, 13, 20, 28, 32, 71
  • LTE-TDD: 38, 39, 40, 41
  • 5G NR: n78, n40, n41/38, n7, n1, n2, n3, n66, n8, n5, n28, n71

Cheers 🙂

Comments

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

Okay okay, @madbilly you were right afterall that there will be 2G/3G support. I was doubtful and it is good that I was wrong. Positive sign. But I wonder why they did not decide to include this info in the datasheet. Good job at discovering this info.

Also, do you know if the 8.3 will support VoNR? Or will it have to fallback to 4G VoLTE when making calls? I learnt that Oppo tested the first VoNR call with a MediaTek CPU. So, does the SD765G support VoNR at all? Is this something which can be enabled? Or just like 4G VoLTE, only newer chips will be compatible, old ones stick with calls via fallback?

Another thing, are both SIM slots 5G compatible at the same time? Or are we seeing partial support as it happened with the start of 4G and 3G? That is, only one SIM can connect to the higher network at a time and other is forced to stick with 2G/3G.

• JAVA JAVA
    ✭✭✭  / 

@singhnsk I have the same doubt Dual 5G or not? Overall it's is the first generation 5G chips

• Lazysince1995 Lazysince1995
    Super User  / 

@madbilly Good work man. I'm surprised, you did really nice job. I tried to search a lot but haven't this much data yet.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

It is going to be a very long time indeed before there is a decent 5G network and then it'll only be in cities given the range and number of micro cells needed, anything rural has no chance.

• JAVA JAVA
    ✭✭✭  / 

@MrBelter well that's right. I am excited which country going to be the first 5G network covered

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Non will even have a network like what we see with 2, 3 and 4G. 4G has a range of around 10 miles, 5g has a range of around 1000 feet, 5G will also have poor penetration in to buildings given the wavelength.

• JAVA JAVA
    ✭✭✭  / 
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I'm not judging anything, they are facts 😂

• JAVA JAVA
    ✭✭✭  / 

We got 5G handset But country like INDIA and Pakistan don't know when going to experience 5G network . speed

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @MrBelter,

I used to think the same as you about the range of 5G but now I'm not so sure. 5G frequency bands include both mmWave - very short range, as you said - and sub-6 GHz. The sub-6 GHz bands are basically the same as existing 4G/LTE bands, so should have the same range... maybe better, as you'd expect them to try and improve that if they're upgrading the protocols.

Cheer 🙂

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

The 5g frequencies in the lower end of the spectrum will be no faster than 4g, the main benefit will be capacity not speed at these frequencies so lets be honest it isn't the blazing fast 5g everyone is hoping for, for that your going to need 5g in the mm bands with the pitfalls i mentioned earlier sadly.

I regularly see 240 to 250Mb/s using 4g, well i did when i was allowed to go out 🙄

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @MrBelter,

Still even if it's not any faster it will still be 5G, and if there's increased capacity for networks then over time they will move to 5G from LTE, therefore a 5G phone will provide some (very long term) future proofing.

Still, I agree that for the vast majority of people especially people outside big cities there's not much point in 5G atm.

Cheers 🙂

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

The forums all around the world will be full of people screaming blue murder that their new 5g phone is faulty because they are only seeing 30Mbit. They would have been better off calling 5G in the lower frequencies 4G Super or something just to keep it inline with peoples expectations even though it is actually a 5th generation technology.

Clearly thats just my take on it all though, i might be miles off the mark and people might not give a monkeys uncle.

• San.Phu San.Phu
    ✭✭✭  /  edited April 13

@MrBelter Thanks you are provide a lots of information we can't even think off. And we are really excited about 5G and 5 G phones.

• Nirmal Katariya Nirmal Katariya
    ✭✭✭  / 

Hai friends,

Nokia 8.3 5G is truly global 5G. Even OnePlus 8/8 Pro don’t have some bands ( n40/38,n8 ).

I don’t know what is means but now I think Nokia 8.3 5G is not bad option as compared to OnePlus 8.

Thanks🙂

• EJofYeman EJofYeman
    ✭✭  / 

Hello guys!

So, it has to be 4G sim with one slot, and for the other one you need to stick with 2G&3G? No, gosh! If this device doesn't offer dual sim besides SD card, then how am I supposed to keep using 4G when shifting to 5G for a while? This could be bad 'cause people don't want to rely on the costy 5G rather than the budget friendly 4G! 😒

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @EJofYeman,

No I don't think that's right. The phone will support 2G, 3G and 4G on all SIM slots in the phone.

Cheers 🙂

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  /  edited October 1

Just as an addition to this valuable post. The following MIMO bands are supported too:

4x4MIMO bands: 1,2,3,4-66,7,38,41,n78, n7,n38,n41,n40

@madbilly I'm actually surprised that the bands info is cent percent accurate. I had some doubts given that nobody knew anything about the device back then :D