[Moved] Current feature phone OSes not as good as before

This discussion was created from comments split from: Introducing Nokia 8.3 5G.

[Moved] Current feature phone OSes not as good as before

System System
✭✭✭  / 
This discussion was created from comments split from: Introducing Nokia 8.3 5G.

Comments

• JAVA JAVA
    ✭✭✭  / 

Friends@madbilly .@sina abkari I don't have knowledge like you guys. But HMD is doing Nokia phones is completely wrong like featured phone . Please tell do you guys really like new os over the legendary OS like Java and Symbian I don't understand why HMD. Did like this. Old OS were handy .esay powefull. New os is sucks. For example take pictures with Nokia 5310 new and old . And given to people like who have age 50 . I hope they will find the pictures taken with Nokia 5310 new.it took a year to find . Like new Nokia featured phone.order is like this. Gallery- captured or received - find folder - open images found.

Old Nokia gallery - all pictures found

See how many steps New Nokia took. Please guys help me out to bring back old OS or a better one

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @JAVA,

That's a good example you give. However, what you're giving is an example of the user interface, not the OS. The OS the deep down internal workings of the software, whereas the user interface is the bit that people interact with and makes their lives easier or not.

Symbian was great for many reasons, but the user interface was S60, not Symbian. Symbian^3 merged the two so that S60 was not considered a separate Nokia UI layer any more but the only UI of Symbian, however the distinction is important to understand. There is another layer, the middleware, which is also important and in Symbian this is mainly in the S60 part, whereas in Android it is in the AOSP part and only the skin is the UI.

The UI and OS do depend on each other, but largely they should be considered independent.

The reason I'm explaining this is because it is important and useful to distinguish between a request to bring back Symbian (a small, highly-efficient real-time OS which was unfortunately difficult to maintain, improve and develop for) vs a request to HMD to improve their various user interfaces, either by just making them less complicated and more user friendly (S30+) or more generally moving away from Android One to an Android UI which actually feels like a Nokia.

Cheers 🙂

• JAVA JAVA
    ✭✭✭  / 

Well symbian is best os for featured phone compared to KaiOS . Symbian software still have millions application includes Facebook and Twitter

• Feature_OS Feature_OS
    ✭✭  /  edited April 7

Yes, Symbian store might have hundreds of thousands apps even today but those apps don't get any updates and are at higher security risk. This is a huge issue.

Though S40 or Asha Platform can be brought back but HMD does not have that much capability.

• JAVA JAVA
    ✭✭✭  / 

In case you missed Symbian have a updating system for apps .also it Updates checker application still run

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    Super User  /  edited April 7

Just for your information. Symbian is Dead and cannot be brought back now.

• JAVA JAVA
    ✭✭✭  / 

Symbian OS Is not dead. I am not using that words For you my friend Nokia Symbian OS is discontinued Os still own by Nokia.(original Nokia) so is not dead . discontinued OS

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    Super User  /  edited April 7

But it cannot be brought back. It is just not possible to invest so much money for an OS that can't even compete with the current Operating Systems. Don't be so stubborn. Think about suggesting some good operating systems which are currently present around. 😊

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

@JAVA you're right that if Symbian was still maintained today then it would probably run better on non-touchscreen phones than KaiOS does. However, it would not be as attractive to developers as KaiOS is because developing apps for Symbian is not as easy as developing apps for KaiOS. The last version of Symbian used mainly Qt as the basis for its apps, which is pretty good but still not as easy as KaiOS, which is basically just webapps.

Still, I get your point that HMD could consider making its UI more Nokia-like on KaiOS phones.

Cheers 🙂

• JAVA JAVA
    ✭✭✭  / 

@madbilly Finally you got my point thanks man thanks a lot. Now I am going officially to all Nokia sources to re induced symbian Os for featured phone . And I am going to forward it Jio who runs KaiOS featured phone and looking for New os.

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

Hi guys, can we take this discussion out of this introduction thread? It is becoming completely off-topic 🙂

What we need to accept is that Symbian isn't coming back, not even for feature phones. Individual companies can't develop OS platforms for themselves anymore, plus it is likely not even needed. If HMD wants to try alternatives, Sailfish OS would make more sense instead of picking up Symbian. Symbian will not fit the feature phones anyways. It was a smartphone OS and even if the feature phone hardware today might be of the level of smartphones from several years ago, the applications, tasks & graphics have also become more resource intensive. There will likely be even slower UI experience if we try to run Symbian on feature phones.

In fact, if something should really be returned, that will be the Asha Software Platform. That was still something modern and built from ground up to run on the poor hardware of feature phones. That's something which will run better than KaiOS. Lack of apps will be a problem though. In fact if we start cutting features from Symbian to make it fit for feature phones, it will trim down to something like ASP only.

Let's take this discussion elsewhere though. @HMDLaura can you kindly split these comments to a separate thread?

• JAVA JAVA
    ✭✭✭  / 

Well 3 years ago we through Nokia was died. But now Nokia alive symbian OS design by Nokia and own by them it's there choice I am just reminding it. People like@madbilly understand my concern . So that's enough for me

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

We're off topic but I hadn't realised this was the 8.3 discussion! We seem to be discussing this topic in many different threads at the moment.

Java, please can you try and keep the discussions on topic? I'm very happy to discuss Nokia's former OSes etc but let's try and keep it all in one place.

Cheers 🙂