The new files app introduced in android 10 got some big problems

I wouldn't even have written this post if the new files app was optional but every time I have to open up a file (for example adding a image to edit in snapseed) it defaults to this app instead of the previous (and just plain intuitive) file explorer in android 9 and the workflow of the this app is clearly different than the one provided by Google so I just have tk adjust using this as my default.

The new files app introduced in android 10 got some big problems

Suraj parui Suraj parui
✭✭  /  edited April 10

I wouldn't even have written this post if the new files app was optional but every time I have to open up a file (for example adding a image to edit in snapseed) it defaults to this app instead of the previous (and just plain intuitive) file explorer in android 9 and the workflow of the this app is clearly different than the one provided by Google so I just have tk adjust using this as my default. But I thought who cares it's 2020 and time for new changes. But man the app design drives me nuts (and the rollout of android 10 has been going for months so there is no reason for excuse, well except the pandemic :-P)

(Btw I just that I might have written this post in the wrong section sorry, don't know how to switch sections now so I'll just add this to the relevant section if I find it lol)

Problem 1 : Can't delete items from the "recent" folder (the one that automatically shows up when the app opens) how does someone screws up something so simple? Why do I need to -

1. Open the side menu.

2. Choose relevant item type (Images/Video etc.)

3. Choose relevant folder (Camera/Downloaded etc.)

[Also why is there no option to delete entire folders? That seems basic enough.]

4. Choose the item.

5 Tap delete.

Problem 2 : No preview / Thumbnail for folders. Makes searching for stuff a lot confusing especially if there are a lot of places where the images or whatever is obtained from. Also no thumbnails for videos does anyone know which video "VID_20200411_001229.mp4" or whatever it might be by name? (I haven't don't have other file types downloaded so I can't say about them)

Problem 3 : When downloading images (haven't tried downloading other file types yet) doesn't add it to the "downloads" section of the app instead it defaults to "pictures" folder in images (btw "pictures" folder sounds really vague for downloaded images) I downloaded images from Duckduckgo (I don't use Chrome so no idea if that's the problem but either way it's not the company's job to decide which browser I should use so I will still blame the app)

Problem 4 : Why clutter the screen by having "browse files from other apps" which includes "bug reports" and "system traces" plus whatever apps I have that the file app decides should be included in the list. I have a icon pack which gets listed in the section 'sometimes' but launching it through the list removes it from the list and sometimes it just gets removed randomly. Also 90% of the general public would NEVER use nor understand what "system traces" or "bug reports" does. What general people do is sorting through general storage files of the app which is conveniently kept in "show internal storage" option and not kept on by default. Show the internal storage by default and keep a toggle for bug reports or whatever.

Problem 5 : Well I don't have this problem now but I am still mentioning it. When tried adding an image that I recently obtained to snapseed, it didn't show up. I had to go to the file app copy/move the image to another folder and then it showed up. Probably this got fixed through updating the "Google play system update" or just plain restarting the phone multiple times I'm not sure it just got fixed randomly.

Problem 6 : The app is not on play store, so now I have to wait for a month atleast (potentially wayyyyy more) for an build update and hope it fixes the app.

I'll give credit where credit is due, the app looks decent. Something I can see Google making.

I don't particularly get why there needs to be a seprate files app besides the offical Google one can anyone also explain that?

Except that I just wish the app is fixed ASAP.

Tagged: