March Security Update

It's 11th of April and still there is no March Security update for this phone nor Android 10 update...

March Security Update

Lawss Lawss
✭✭✭  / 

It's 11th of April and still there is no March Security update for this phone nor Android 10 update... Why is HMD always not consistent with updates in regards to all the models they release.... Only bla bla bla that's all.

Android one is a failure that's all... Either they release their own skin or soon they will lose all the customers and become history.... I regret buying this model...Very much frustrated.

Comments

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    Super User  /  edited April 2020

Nokia 2.3 will get the March patch along with Android 10 just like the Nokia 4.2 got. I guess the Android 10 rollout for Nokia 2.3 should be just a few days away. 😁

Also, coming to security patches, I honestly don't feel most (maybe about 90%) of these patches are extremely important for normal consumers. That's the reason most companies just offer Quarterly patches OR just provide an update to fix some big security issue. People should not be obsessed with such updates. Just use the phone and enjoy it instead of always thinking " when will i get the monthly security update"? The update will not improve your phone or add new features. It will just be a minor security fix. But Nokia Mobile is pushing this and they are providing monthly security patches to all their 20+ phones each month.

Also, Android One doesn't mean that security patches will be pushed in the same month. The official Android One website says "We have an established monthly update cycle for Pixel devices, as well as those under the Android One program. In addition, Android Enterprise Recommended devices are updated at least every 90 days. We also share these updates and vulnerabilities in a comprehensive security bulletin for our partners and users". For Android One devices like ours, I guess Google gives freedom to the manufacturer to decide when they update their devices as the Android One website mentions, "Confirm exact duration of support for phones in your territory with smartphone manufacturer. Monthly security updates to be supported for at least 3 years after initial phone release."

• user1520881638007 user1520881638007
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

In addition to @Kartik Gada comment ,other OEM Quarterly patch atleast shows what fix and what new in thier update page and what quite interesting is from Android 10 system update gets bifurcation to Google Play and Android System Updates ,from there what fix you get from both still unsolved puzzle

But I sincerely feel that due to Covid -19 there might be disturbing thing for HMD else they release OS upgrades day by day and finish it before next batch of smartphones

• GeorgeVR GeorgeVR
    ✭✭  / 

I had some updates, but not for Android 10.

I hope it will be better than Android 9. This version has some screen glitch. I hope the update can fix it.

Or I might have to check out the warranty.......

• Lawss Lawss
    ✭✭✭  /  edited April 2020

@Kartik Gada FYI I am never obsessed with monthly security patches but MR updates and OS updates. Tell me one reason updating Nokia 2.2 with the same processor in March and a phone releasing Android 10 ready out of the box in December still not updated. Is that really difficult?

My Nokia 7.1 has bugs since Android 10 update in December and until now there is no MR Update for the same, heard the same complaints from the users of Nokia 7 plus, Nokia 6.1 plus and Nokia 9. What do you have to say about the same? The bugs had to be addressed first but instead HMD are busy releasing Android 10 updates to the remaining models.

Everything has to be systematic, all the users of Nokia phones are buying them because of Nokia Legacy and trust. I am a Nokia user since 2003.

HMD has to be very careful in this highly competitive market. I don't want my favourite brand become history.

• Alireza Alireza
    ✭✭  / 

Yes, there is a big difference between Nokia 2.2 and 2.3. Nokia 2.2 uses 64-bit Android, and Nokia 2.3 uses 32-bit Android.

• eldiomedes eldiomedes
    ✭✭  /  edited April 2020

Bruh what are you talking about ? Both 2.2 and 2.3 use Helio A22 SoC which is a 64bit chip.

Super User  / 

I have a Nokia 2.3 and I can confirm that mine is a 32bit. @singhnsk has a Nokia 2.2 and he told his is 64bit.

• Alireza Alireza
    ✭✭  / 

Look at these pictures

• eldiomedes eldiomedes
    ✭✭  / 

I apologize. I thought being the same SoC, OS would be the same, while it is not..clearly.

• Lawss Lawss
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Super User  / 

Why not? The processor support 64 bit but the OS installed in 32bit, This is same as computers where you may have a 64bit processor but you can install a 32bit Windows OS :)

• Lawss Lawss
    ✭✭✭  / 

Are there any limitations by doing this?

Can this really be called a successor to Nokia 2.2 then?

Super User  / 

There are equal number of pro and cons. 2.3 has bigger screen, more storage, bigger battery, dual cameras compared to Nokia 2.2

• Lawss Lawss
    ✭✭✭  /  edited April 2020

Nokia 2.2 also has 3/32gb storage option available in the market.

2gb ram was very bad decision, and that's why sometimes it stutters a lot and also I notice occasional screen flickering. Otherwise it's a good phone in this price range.

Hope by Android 10 Update the performance will improve.