Symbian X - 2025

Nokia should revive Symbian OS As Tizen, FirefoxOS etc didnt capture the market its not a wise decision to create another version of OS but, if HMD can purchase KaiOS company they immediately become the 3rd OS marketshare in India.

Symbian X - 2025

DavidJeba DavidJeba
✭✭  /  edited April 14

Nokia should revive Symbian OS

As Tizen, FirefoxOS etc didnt capture the market

its not a wise decision to create another version of OS

but, if HMD can purchase KaiOS company they immediately become the 3rd OS marketshare in India.

After taking over, Nokia can polish the OS, improve it and rename it as Symbian X

Comments

• SirFaceFone SirFaceFone
    ✭✭✭  / 

They're barely making profit as is, I doubt they could acquire KaiOS

• DavidJeba DavidJeba
    ✭✭  / 

Atleast getting as much stake in KaiOS would be good

or atleast like Facebook has taken $5.4B stake in Jio, Nokia/HMD can collaborate with Jio and provide a New OS platform for JIO.

• DavidJeba DavidJeba
    ✭✭  / 

DATA is the new OIL

Hardware is not going to be profitable

but DATA/Software/OS will be

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @DavidJeba,

It sounds to me like you're suggesting replacing the KaiOS UI with the S60 UI from Symbian, is that right? Symbian is actually the underlying operating system, based on the EKA2 kernel, whereas KaiOS is based on Linux kernels customised for Android.

Fine, HMD can do that, but they don't need to purchase KaiOS to do it they can just design their own UI to replace the Gaia layer in KaiOS. The rest of KaiOS is just like FirefoxOS - the only significant difference between KaiOS and FirefoxOS is the UI layer, called "Gaia". KaiOS recently started a new partnership with Mozilla to based KaiOS off the latest version of the Gecko rendering engine, so make b2g up to date. Since Gecko, B2G, the Linux kernel etc are all open source they could take them and make their own UI layer for touchscreen phones and they would have a Nokia branded version of FirefoxOS, up to date.

Not a bad idea. However, as @SirFaceFone says, HMD haven't really got any money so they really need to focus on making their Android business profitable before they invest in anything else.

If they did this they shouldn't use the Symbian name as it would be confusing and potentially generate negative reviews (not everyone remembers Symbian fondly).

Cheers 🙂

• Sidhu_Sahb Sidhu_Sahb
    ✭✭  / 

Hi All, I am a die hard nostalgic fan of old Nokia symbian phones 40 and 60 series both. I am pleading Nokia to launch symbian series same as before 40 and 60 version with same designs as 5800, 5233, n73, n70 in the current market. people will surely gonna buy... please :-(