Does HMD acutally read and consider feedback around the web and apply it to their products?

I've seen some really great feedback about Nokia phones and HMD (both good and bad) from my time scouring around the web.

Does HMD acutally read and consider feedback around the web and apply it to their products?

SirFaceFone SirFaceFone
✭✭✭  /  edited April 15

I've seen some really great feedback about Nokia phones and HMD (both good and bad) from my time scouring around the web. Does HMD actually read through the various Nokia forums and feedbacks around the web and apply them on their products and/or operations? If an HMD employee is reading this, can you give some examples of how feedback from users online improved the company in any way? Just curious.

edit: grammer

Best Answer

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  /  Accepted Answer

From what I have seen, they initially used to show up here and collect some kind of feedback. If you get a bit far, during beta programs too and for developer preview sign-ups, there were special sections in the forums where users could post bugs and reports etc. At least somebody was listening, I'm not sure how well they acted on it though.

After that, the late 2018 and full 2019 has been like a transition period for them, during which I think they changed too many things (including breaking off with FIH Mobile). I don't think they collected or used feedback at all during this period. Everything was broadly ignored.

Starting off in late 2019 and now in 2020, I see some feedback and improvements, suggesting that they are once again trying. For example, they offered extended warranty for USB port issues (which FIH Mobile caused under HMD's carelessness to test the designs), then they have also started responding a bit on twitter again. For example for the Nokia 2.2's major issue that the notifications don't come with apps in background.

Also, the Nokia 8.1 received a convincing MR update which finally killed a number of bugs. So, maybe things are slowly getting back on track and we'll see more engagements and feedback collection from HMD's side?

They probably also saw that buyers demand for a better price to performance ratio in the budget segments. And the Nokia 5.3 might be an answer to that with a CPU better than the 7.3 and a sizeable battery too. Signs of some positivity?

Answers

• Lazysince1995 Lazysince1995
    Super User  / 

In recent times I noticed many things actually Nokia/HMD is listing to user on forum at least. From forum feedbacks, battery capacity, activities, nokia website improvements all these things in last 6-8 months are took to implement or they really started to work on it.

• SirFaceFone SirFaceFone
    ✭✭✭  /  edited April 16

That's good if true. Honestly it's usually hard to find out if they're actually listening because of the vague PR responses or outright false promises/conflicting info (like that major camera update for the N9).

Although, we've been seeing more detailed information about the company's operations from HMDLaura recently, which is good (Juho needs to take note). That kind of communication with the community is what we need imo, not just here but also in other social media.

I wasn't here in 2018 but yeah, FIH dropping them seems to have caused a bit of chaos at the company as well. I wonder if they were prepared for such a scenario 🤔

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

Indeed. Their PR is a mess. Their social media also appears to be a team which has no connection with anybody responsible. So, they just respond whatever they like.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @SirFaceFone,

Thank goodness that @singhnsk and @Lazysince1995 came to defend the honour of HMD because I was ready to really slag them off! I think that they may pay some attention to feedback on existing phones, e.g. when there's a big bug that needs fixing, but they also have a track record of doing nothing and even if they do something usually takes a long time (looking at you Nokia 8 compass). False promises abound from the twitter accounts of you know who's, e.g. face unlock, camera updates.

When it comes to new phones I think that HMD pay no attention to user feedback, I think they base it entirely on marketing statistics. Unless someone can point out a feature which has been added to new phones and wasn't to older ones for no good reason?

Cheers 🙂