Nokia 8 bootloader unlock

When will it be possible to unlock the bootloader?

Nokia 8 bootloader unlock

user132 user132
 /  edited September 22
When will it be possible to unlock the bootloader?

Comments

• Abhinav Abhinav
     /  edited October 2017

go to Settings >> developer options >> OEM unlocking>> switch on Allow the bootloader to be unlocked

• user132 user132
     / 
    Well, what's the use of this. The bootloader via fastboot is still not unlocked.
  • Dears,

As mentioned, when you go to download mode on your device and when you type fastboot oem unlock, it get stuck on the command, and there's no serial when you type fastboot devices as well which means that the fastboot driver is not recognized by your PC, in this case, Nokia is blocking OEM unlocking from its side and forget about OEM Unlocking option in developer options because it's appearing by default, regarding their latest news, they are discussing the bootloader unlocking option internally and there's no confirmation regarding it until now, we will wait for it!

• Well, as long as it is happening soon... Nokia has a long tradition of supporting devs, no reason to break it now.
  • AlexSpl AlexSpl
     /  edited July 20

I am going to cross-post this till we get anyone's attention on this matter:

Can anyone provide an estimate please? (of course first you'd have to
    actually pay attention to this thread and not just ignore it)

Will it be here by the end of December? In January?

You guys know you should've already done this by now. The people that
    are interested in buying this device and are also interested in Custom
    ROMs are running straight to HTC and One+ because Juho's "Give us time,
    we hear you" turned 2 months old a while ago and this phone will be
    abandoned by any developer if you plan on unlocking and providing Kernel
    sources after half a year.

All we want is an estimate, to know if we should abandon the Nokia brand now or if there's still hope for it in the dev/modding community.
  • Will we wait for the unlocking of the bootloader? I already bought myself a Oneplus 5.
  • user132 user132
     /  edited February 28
    Someone from the official representatives of Nokia will answer specifically: when will the boot loader be unlocked?
  • Wildfire Wildfire
     /  edited April 30
    No one from Nokia cares about bootloader unlock.
    So next device isn't a Nokia for sure!
  • user132 user132
     /  edited December 2017
    Very regrettably. It is necessary to get rid of this device. No one from my environment will buy more products from this manufacturer.
  • koroki koroki
     / 

But Nokia claimed that we have a method to unlock our phones, no?

• Did you know this post?
    https://www.techchairman.com/2017/12/how-to-root-nokia-8-without-pclaptop.html?m=1

Has anyone tried those methods? Fake or what?
  • Muhannad Salhab Muhannad Salhab
     /  edited December 2017

Dear bloomba,

You are sharing a different case here! We are seeking Bootloader unlocking on Nokia smartphones, framaroot and kingroot apps are used for rooting only, and they do support weak MediaTEK chipsets only, we need Bootloader unlocking! Not ROOTING

• I totally agree with @muhannadsalhab
    Unlocked bootloader is the first we need, Then we can speak about root, but let open the bootloader first. Sorry but I think there will no method to open the bootloader coming from Nokia! Juho and the other guys having me on ignore. I have asked to much, shame on you. Ignore isn't a fine art.
     /  edited December 2017

@Wildfire,

Even December security patches are not released until now as they have promised, and every time I speak to their support team on chat, I receive the same response which is: "Every device has its own model and region, please be patient, you will receive the updates soon" most of my friends received the update since 2 weeks ago, so I think Nokia's support team considering and dealing with their customers (Developers) as children, giving you illogical words! Will sell all of my Nokia devices today (Nokia 6, 5, 3, 2) and I will get back to HTC and Motorola for Custom ROMs and Android Development.

• Nash Nash
     / 

It's been six months since Nokia officials told they would unlock the bootloader. Still no sign of any positive development. 

/  edited March 6

@Nash

Unfortunately, Nokia phones won't be able to be unlocked since Nokia is providing us with monthly google security patches and Android software upgrade commitment for two years!

• Wildfire Wildfire
     /  edited March 6
    I think there is only one thing left to do... Sell Nokia 8 and never buy Nokia anymore. For me I'm looking for an other brand. I can't trust Nokia or the guy's they promise unlock anymore.
  • Nash Nash
     / 
    I think this policy of not unlocking the bootloader and not releasing kernel sources is GPL violation. Maybe a lawsuit is needed to get the officials hear our voices.
  • Nash Nash
     /  edited August 14
    Ya that's the best option. Ignore the brand totally. Got the Nokia 8 of nostalgia and wanted to support the brand Nokia. Maybe time to change ship.
     /  edited March 6

@Wildfire

I've done that since 2 months ago and sold all of my Nokia Android phones! I'm back to HTC and Motorola and ZTE.

• Wildfire Wildfire
     / 
    I have an eye on xiaomi mi mix2 wish all fun with this brand. For me Nokia is no option anymore.
     /  edited August 14

@Nash

Its not about regulatory, Nokia is forcing us to stick with their stock Android experience and they are convincing people with their monthly security patches and 2 years Android software update commitment, but for me, NO WAY! I'm always working on new tweaks and improvements on custom ROMS, I'm a developer with LineageOS (Former Cyanogenmod), and believe me guys, LineageOS is way much better and smoother than Nokia's stock android experience!

• Nash Nash
     /  edited March 6
    In this position they are opting for Android one. I don't know how Google partnered with this brand which doesn't comply with GPL regulations.
  • @Nash

Google is seeking money, Business is Business, they don't care about our opinion as a Developers, and Nokia is paying Google, do the math :)

• Nash Nash
     /  edited March 7
    Definitely, been an Android user for years and always custom roms are better than stock roms. Also the time which a device is supported, my galaxy S5 runs 8.1 on Lineage.

Regarding this Nokia issue, better I am shifting to OnePlus or Xiaomi.
  • koroki koroki
     /  edited March 10

Still waiting...

• user132 user132
     /  edited March 22
    do not wait
  • user1511369045599 user1511369045599
     /  edited April 30

guys the math is is simple hmd_global != Nokia, they are just a bunch of people that bough the rights to use nokia branding this guys are fking dishonest, mostly because they are infringing gpl, and they fooled us in believing they would unlock the bootloader. i already trying to sell my nokia 8. never again

• MarkE44 MarkE44
     / 
    Come on HMD pull fingers out of rear and open up the bootloader lol. Don't want to sell the handset as it's great but it's my phone and I would love to install RR or Omni , has to be done
  • LennartB LennartB
    ✭✭✭  /  edited July 20

Well they released the sources, but that's kind of a joke with the bootloader still locked, HMD, get to it.

Prev1