iPhone SE launched for $399. RIP HMD's US ambitions?

You've probably known already the iPhone SE2 just launched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQIbeAk-bFA It's an iPhone 8 with iPhone 11 internals for more than half the price!

iPhone SE launched for $399. RIP HMD's US ambitions?

SirFaceFone SirFaceFone
✭✭✭  /  edited April 16

You've probably known already the iPhone SE2 just launched

It's an iPhone 8 with iPhone 11 internals for more than half the price! This directly competes with Google's Pixel Xa line and will probably make it almost impossible for other OEMs to compete effectively in the US market at that price range.

With that in mind, how do you think this will affect HMD's ambitions to enter the US market? Will they be doomed to continuously sell phones at the lower price range? Or will they continue as usual?

Tagged:

Comments

• SirFaceFone SirFaceFone
    ✭✭✭  /  edited April 16

I know most of us will probably trash on that now-subpar display or those thicc bezels, but an iPhone with an A13 Bionic chip for 400 USD is a steal in the US (where budget Chinese flagship phones are basically nonexistent), not to mention for those people who can't let go of the pre-iPhone X designs.

Competition in the $400 price range just got tougher.

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

RIP HMD's US ambitions? I guess not! Or RIP their global ambitions as well since iPhones are loved globally.

I think the new iPhone SE will only attract Apple fans. And these people do not even care about what the underneath chipset is. I'd have liked it, I do not mind the bezels, but that 4.7" display and a front mounted fingerprint scanner is certainly not for the year 2020.

Anybody who is not specially after the smaller screen size should be staying away of this product I'd say. There's nothing else that makes this device valuable in my eyes 😅 The powerful chipset is there, but for immersive gaming (where that chipset will really play a role since the cameras aren't demanding on this one) the screen size will keep buyers aside. That said, i won't question the thinking power of Apple bois.

If this was an HMD product, the entire tech media would have made fun of it 😂

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited April 16

iPhone SE just has that Apple brand which makes it special. Let's imagine a Nokia phone with SD865 (5G is compulsory so cost will automatically increase), Add a tiny 4.7" 16:9 720p display (saved a lot of money here so add PureDisplay), Throw in 4GB RAM 128GB storage. Now comes the main part - Add just 1 camera to that Nokia phone. No, one will buy this phone and will be DOA. Media will kill it instantly with negative articles. It would instantly become the Biggest disaster of this new decade.

iPhone SE 2020 will just sell in the US {this might be limited to fanbois) but still most people nowadays just cannot live on such a tiny screen and old design. So, only time will tell if they get any new customers or only those whose contracts of the original iPhone SE are about to expire. I don't see this as a real threat to Nokia's US plans. They have even bigger threats in the Android World.

I feel, an iPhone user can easily switch to Android without missing his iPhone much but an Android user will go nuts after switching to iPhone and finding out how limiting the system is.

✭✭✭✭  / 

It's like using Bugatti Chiron's engine on a Bajaj Qute. You can't utilise it in any good way.

• Nirmal Katariya Nirmal Katariya
    ✭✭✭  /  edited April 16

😂😂😂

We can use 1821 mAh battery in 2020. That's Apple saying 😂.

Thanks 😀

Edit'

(This is just Joke😂 don't take it seriously )

✭✭✭✭  / 

Thanks for adding this. I forgot the battery part. Even Nokia 1 has a bigger battery. I don't know what apple does with all that space. Why don't they add a bigger battery? 😅

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited April 16

Hi all,

Is that really how small the battery is @Nirmal Katariya? Has that been announced? Even so, don't just judge battery lief by battery capacity. The A13 ship is very energy efficient, more than the A11 in the iPhone 8. Also, since it's driving a lower resolution display it can probably run at slower and therefore more energy efficient speeds as well, so battery life may actually be as long as the iPhone 11 or whatever it's called.

Who will buy this phone? All the people who wanted a new iPhone but thought "er, no too expensive and too big!" about the X and its successors. @SirFaceFone is right on this one, this is really serious competition for HMD and not for the reasons that the rest of you say but for the reason that people who remember Nokia are generally also people who want a smaller smartphone (my opinion, I have no stats to back this up).

IMO the only thing really letting this phone down is the single camera, but then I have said for years that I only need one camera so long as its excellent and this camera might just be that.

I think this phone will be a much bigger success than most of you think, I just hope that it encourages HMD to also release a "mini" version of a flagship device too. And that might happen - don't forget that often Apple doing something starts a trend which others follow, even if they've been ignoring it for years before.

Cheers 🙂

✭✭✭  /  edited April 16

😅 Hai @madbilly ,

It is in GSMArena news.

I know very well... 😅I am just joking on that because on paper it's so small.

I am also iPad user. By one charge , I am able too watch more than 10 movie.... That's mind blowing battery management. My experience with Apple says don't compare battery management and RAM management with them.

Thanks 😀

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi @Nirmal Katariya, thanks for clarifying and saying the source of this disinformation! 😆

Cheers 🙂

✭✭✭  / 

iPhone SE just has that Apple brand which makes it special. Let's imagine a Nokia phone with SD865 (5G is compulsory so cost will automatically increase), Add a tiny 4.7" 16:9 720p display (saved a lot of money here so add PureDisplay), Throw in 4GB RAM 128GB storage. Now comes the main part - Add just 1 camera to that Nokia phone. No, one will buy this phone and will be DOA. Media will kill it instantly with negative articles. It would instantly become the Biggest disaster of this new decade.

I agree on this part. HMD doing this would be suicide, as Android OEMs tend to compete more in who has the better specs and/or lower price.

iPhone SE 2020 will just sell in the US {this might be limited to fanbois) but still most people nowadays just cannot live on such a tiny screen and old design. So, only time will tell if they get any new customers or only those whose contracts of the original iPhone SE are about to expire. I don't see this as a real threat to Nokia's US plans. They have even bigger threats in the Android World.

Good point on the fact they have bigger problems on the Android side but am not so sure about the others. The iPhone isn't exactly an enthusiast/fanboy's brand (let's say, like OnePlus or Razor). It has a cult-like status even among average consumers worldwide, something that very few brands on the Android side (not even Nokia) enjoys. There's also the fact that Apple is the only company that makes iOS devices, again, Android OEMs do not have such privilege (I mean, a few have their own platforms but they're nowhere near as popular as iOS or Android). The target demographic of the SE aren't gonna mind that it doesn't have the latest and greatest display or screen-to-body ration, in fact, a large chunk of them even want the now-outdated design back when Apple introduced the X.

I feel, an iPhone user can easily switch to Android without missing his iPhone much but and Android user will go nuts after switching to iPhone and finding out how limiting the system is.

Depends on the person (and how entrenched they are in the platform maker's ecosystem), I guess. Based on my anecdotal experience though, non-enthusiasts tend to want to have an iPhone/iPad today or in the future, since it's extremely familiar and generally has a consistent UI. Those in the budget tend to get confused about which one of the bazillion Android phone is best, meanwhile there's only one iPhone maker and a few iPhone models. No to mention the fact even second-hand models are still supported and get updates after 4-6 years.

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

My only wish from this iPhone is that it had a larger display. That's it, maybe even if they kept it 720P. Because Apple's displays have historically shown us that they are generally better at 720p when compared to a cheapish 1080p one. I wish there was a SE Plus, which offered a screen size of 5.5-5.8 inches.

Undoubtedly a great phone, but the display size will leave it as a choice only for the "People who want a smaller phone". Worth mentioning though that this will likely be the only option available to people who want a fast performing phone but in a smaller form factor.

Yeah, so, I was rethinking on this one and I feel it will click. Not to all the millenials probably, but certainly to people who:

1. Are using an older (smaller) iPhone and are looking to upgrade to a faster phone while staying in their comfort zone and using the similar thing that they have been for year(s).
    2. Those who don't have finance to spend 1000 dollars, but still want a phone that they can rely on and which will be updated for years to come. It's a steal at 399 indeed.
    3. Probably students who are getting their first phone. This one is a good starting point, especially for the parents who don't want to spend a lot and they shouldn't spend a lot for their school-going child's phone.
    4. Grandparents! Undoubtedly.
    5. People who count on the Apple logo and always wanted to have an Apple phone.

The camera experience will be great, I'm sure. No fancy gimmicks, and the cameras that most people use in their daily lives are all there. I don't know how often we do zooming and or macro on our phones.

All this because it is an iPhone though. If an Android OEM does a similar thing, they'll be shooting their feet. However, a smaller sibling of their latest flagship where everything is the same except for the display size, once an year won't be a bad choice. But maybe the price won't be cheap and if it does become cheap, it won't justify the price difference and hence Apple went on to recycle an old design which ensures that those willing to pay $1000 don't question why there's the SE at $399.

✭✭✭✭  / 

I was thinking the same. $399 phone for a child. 😵 Not all parents are like @singhnsk 😝

Nokia trying to gain millenial customer base and madbilly already planning to gift his child an iPhone. ☹️😅 Also, When was C9 launched?Did you want to say a C7.😅

"Go and ask your mother first" . So, this phenomenon is same worldwide. 😅🤣

✭✭✭  /  edited April 17

Lol

Joking aside, an overwhelming majority of teens (over 80% !) in the US apparently use (or want) an iPhone. Pretty surprising if accurate.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I can't believe that. A large proportion of teens in the USA are from poor families, they can't all afford an iPhone, certainly now a new one.

Still, it's true that Apple has a large part of the market in the USA.

Cheers 🙂

✭✭✭  / 

😂 Only Indians can understand...

Thanks 🤣🤣🤣

• harizone322 harizone322
    ✭✭  / 

While iOS can be limiting and those thicc bezels may exist, I'm certainly sure that their software is miles ahead of HMD in terms of stability 😂

• youhippy youhippy
    ✭✭✭  / 

I mean even my work iPhone 6s can use AR+ mode in Pokemon Go.

COME ON NOKIA. All I wanted was for my Nokia 9 to be a bit more stable before this phone came out. You couldn't pull your finger out and give the phone a much needed update.

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Aha.. Trust me, there's a significant population of children who demand and successfully get an iPhone (used or new) when they pass out from their school.

The following might not be a fully accurate sample, but that gives an idea. Let's take a worst case and its only 30% of them, the new iPhone will certainly make it 50%.

During my social encounters with people from across the globe, I've seen that a teen getting an iPad and an iPhone is happening. Even in families in which the parents have never owned an Apple product. And for families which do, the older phone goes to the kiddo when the parent buys a new one.

I'm not very sure of the age at which a kid gets his/her first (personal) phone. But my above mention was really around the time a child clears his primary school. At least that's the time I was able to ask my dad for a phone and I think everybody knows the reply 😂😂

• singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Or Infact better than any other OEM out there. Their software is made for their phones only and that is a great advantage.

• San.Phu San.Phu
    ✭✭✭  / 

Personally I don't want to buy phone which have outdated design of 2016 and I am not the fan of company who provide the fresh cake in old box.😂😂

• youhippy youhippy
    ✭✭✭  / 
  • San.Phu San.Phu
    ✭✭✭  / 

Congratulations to ios...in term of hardware and software experience it can beat most of the HMD phones easily.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi all,

I'm probably showing my age but I never asked my parents for a mobile phone but that's because they were pretty rare even when I left home! I bought one (an Ericsson brick, more bricky than the cheapest Nokia at the time) because the house share I moved into didn't have a landline, so instead we all spent a fortune on mobile phone bills instead...!

Fair enough though, I realise that most secondary school pupils now have mobile phones, although I'm surprised that primary school pupils do.

Still, 83% of teens in USA own an iPhone? Hmm, I think might only be in Orange County, or Beverley Hills, California! 🤣 And it comes from an Apple fanbois site 🤔 Still, interesting stat. The new iPhone SE will definitely increase that percentage.

I've mentioned several times before HMD that comparing themselves to other Android competition is not the competition they should be aiming for, I said they need to be aiming for Apple. Maybe they think it's too difficult, but Apple will eat up their market share easily whilst they're fighting for scraps with the rest of the Shenzhen generics.

Cheers 🙂

✭✭✭✭  / 

The last para. Yes, that's correct. I just gave it a thought and it does make a lot of sense. If you look at the past it was Nokia that was able to push WP to No.2 in many markets overtaking Apple. For this they need to do many things as it won't be easy to brings iOS users to Android. I feel the 2017 part of the HMD Nokia strategy was weak and failed.

Instead of making 3 premium low end phones, Nokia should have waited a bit more till they had a strong flagship ready which could be sold for the launch price of the Nokia 8 Sirocco. With this they would have received a lot of positive press in the beginning.

Nokia recall was very strong. People were expecting that their favourite brand was returning and they should have returned with a bang which they couldn't do.

Launching a flagship with focus on camera would have given them the headlines like Camera King is back to claim the lost throne. After this they should have moved to lower price points. SIgh... all this is past and now it is impossible to do this.

Aiming at Apple is a distant dream without resources and their social media team is weak compared to even the Chinese brands. Everyday I get a FB notification "On this day in the past" which shows me the things i shared on that day. And it includes many posts from Nokia. They were COOL back then. Their posts were fun. I wonder where that person or team might be today. He/She made some really interesting posts for Nokia. They also need to do a lot of good marketing of their products and not ask some celeb to just show it off which doesn't work IMO and just costs a lot.

✭✭✭  /  edited April 20

We're going a bit out of topic but I low key miss the edgy Nokia social media teams. Some examples~

Nokia Mobile under HMD is waay too boring and corporate-y. There's hardly anything exciting about them on social media, and that is (in my opinion) not how you "resonate with the new audience."

✭✭✭✭  / 

Going a bit offtopic here. OnePlus just destroyed iPhone SE 2 in India. They priced the OnePlus 8 5G at ₹41999/- ($549) vs iPhone SE 2 which costs ₹42499/- ($556). It's not a big price difference but this brand knows how to aim for Apple @madbilly 😉

All media will write posts that include iPhone and Op8 in title and even apple se 2 buyers will read it and some might rethink. Most will just not buy se 2 in India. Only those who want to flaunt the fruit logo may buy it. But then they can get cheaper iphones like the 7 or 8😅

✭✭✭✭  / 

Remember that post by Nokia when S5 launched? Not the SameSung. 🤣That post featured 1020 and the Bandaid looking S5. Those days top brands had such ugly designs. 🤣

✭✭✭✭  /  edited April 20

Yes, I was referring to this. They were so amazing and aggressive in the fight. We won't leave any chance we get to shoit the competitors. The energy they had back then was way way way high then what we have now. HMD seriously needs a marketing team that can do similar things like poking at the right time. This creates a lot of activity too. 😁

I think we should start a post asking Nokia users on the forum to come up with such funny ideas. 😉

✭✭✭  /  edited April 20

Couldn't find the 1020 one but I did find this

Best part is some of their old ads are still up on their twitter account

Some of them used to rack up tens of thousands of retweets. Now they're lucky to even get a thousand.