Nokia 7.2 | Bug | YouTube videos are playing only till 480p

As the Nokia 7.2 updated to Android 10, it is observed that resolution of YouTube videos is limited till 480p.

Nokia 7.2 | Bug | YouTube videos are playing only till 480p

iamkrishna08 iamkrishna08
✭✭✭✭  / 

As the Nokia 7.2 updated to Android 10, it is observed that resolution of YouTube videos is limited till 480p. The resolution's like 720p, 1080p, 1440p, 2160p isn't working at all.

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• iamkrishna08 iamkrishna08
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

@NPraw YouTube is working with all resolutions in other phones then how it is the problem of YouTube? Is there server different?

• Jocke.Sve Jocke.Sve
    ✭✭✭  / 

That exact video (Nokia phone announcement 2020 - from Finland to the world) is limited tp 480 (defaults to 360) on other devices as well.

Youtube (Google) together with others has limited the resolution on streaming services during Covid-19 outbreak.

• Its not a bug...be it nokia or any other brand...youtube and other streaming platforms such as netflix, amazon prime etc are limited to 480p ...to help lower strain on the internet amid covid-19...

• NPraw NPraw
    ✭✭✭  /  edited April 28

Hmm, I'm still sure the Google server is behind this. Because I've been able to stream more than 480p all the time during WFH. My region (Indonesia) doesn't seem to get affected by YouTube resolution limit as well. So yeah, it could be the google server and not your phone's issue.

@singhnsk, perhaps you can explain more about this?

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

Hi @NPraw, the change is not global. It is in India and/or other regions where the government (and the telecom bodies) have asked OTT platforms to not offer higher resolution to avoid excessive load on the networking infrastructure.

So, it is not a global thing. And even in India, higher resolutions are available on other devices (Desktops, Laptops and others). The quality is restricted for cellular devices which usually connect to 3G/4G networks. But it is restricted even if you connect your mobile device to a WiFi. However, using a VPN to another country can sort this out.

Here's the news link for the decision in India. I'm not aware of any other countries which mandated this.

• user1520881638007 user1520881638007
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited July 17

Update: YouTube has re-enabled the 720p or higher resolution in india but limited to Wi-Fi connection

• With Wi-fi connection

• With Mobile Data

• Karthik 2003 Karthik 2003
    ✭✭✭  / 

I'm getting 1080p in India over WiFi now

• Simple solution for YouTube if it is not playing the High resolution video specially in Nokia 7.2... ****uninstall the YouTube update****

After this YouTube is ready to play 1080 p 60p videos