Nokia 8.3 Vs Iphone SE 2020 which is Value for Money?

victory.v10 victory.v10
✭✭  / 

Comments

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

I feel that phones have no comparison with each other. Different device categories, different target consumers and different prices.

Still, thinking of VFM, maybe none of them are.

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    Super User  / 

Which one are you planning to buy?

• San.Phu San.Phu
    ✭✭✭  /  edited April 19

@MrBelter Now it's looks like apple hit the ball out of the statdium but After 2 years most of the world( USA, EU, Asia) will be on 5G,

But I think now android OEMs will provide the 5G phones with new hardware and better design at affordable prize that iPhone SE (2020) will not complete. In China it is not going to be successful because China is 5 G ready. In India people will purchase one plus 8 in same prize. People who streams video, play games not going to purchase this phone. What do you think ?

• Lonewolf2105 Lonewolf2105
    ✭✭  / 

iphone se is never a value for money as far as showing off the apple logo isn't the matter of concern. On the other hand having a nokia device has its own benefits namely the pure android which potentially is much more productive when its related to our country(india). If you consider yourself a power user go for the nokia, they have some incredible network speeds and their os optimisation is quite good compared to other brands of android handsets.

• Lonewolf2105 Lonewolf2105
    ✭✭  / 

Sir, apple isnt full without the face id and the liquid retina and trust me face id is one of the boon in smartphone tech till date.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Seems to me people are blinded by loyalty to a long dead brand and putting their faith in what they perceive to be the same thing rather than having a rational view about things by hey-ho.

• San.Phu San.Phu
    ✭✭✭  / 

@MrBelter you are comparing hmd vs Apple which is totally unfair. They are poles apart in all spects. And apple fan can't switch to Nokia phone you already known. And all peoples known which are value for money. Your topic of discussion is not relevant here . Definitely iphone SE is value for money.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

As i said in my original comment, the iPhone SE is incredible value and comes with unrivalled support. it makes all sub £500 android phones look kack what with decidedly average Qualcomm chipsets, mediocre cameras, average build etc, if you read the other comments in this thread i wasn't the one dragging HMD or Nokia in to anything. Apple have set a president and it is up to the Android world to step up to the plate.

• San.Phu San.Phu
    ✭✭✭  /  edited April 20

@MrBelter Android world is already innovating the smartphone industries and apple is lagging behind the android world. The king of flagship phone is trying to become flagship killer😃😃.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Android as an OS is innovating but the hardware isn't, using old chipsets in current models for instance. Lets use HMD for example given we are on their forum. Not a single phone they have released has had further innovation added to it once it has been released and it is arguable the handsets become worse over time and not better as they have matured with subsequent updates introducing bugs that are left unfixed. Why has the night mode of the 7.2 camera not been added to previous models, is it really that hard to add an innovative feature?

MediaTek needs to do to Qualcomm what AMD have done to Intel and give them a kick up the backside.

• San.Phu San.Phu
    ✭✭✭  / 

@MrBelter if android hardware is not innovative, than more than 75 percent smartphone user are not using android phones. We can get android phone from 25 US Dollar to more than 1000 US Dollar. Can we get new iphone at 25 USD?

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

Did Apple add the Night Mode from new iPhones to the old ones? I'm not aware, so, asking out of curiosity.

• victory.v10 victory.v10
    ✭✭  / 

I am not sure which one I should buy, there for I have put this thread to take guidance.

currently I am using Nokia 7.2.

In this community I have read so many issue raised by members for their phone. In this forum I found each and every nokia phone model is having issue, which is shaking my confidence in Nokia now.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Well you have answered that yourself really haven't you.

You are preaching to the converted, i have only ever owned Android devices, i even have a Sony Android TV and have i no desire whatsoever to own an Apple product of any kind but if you are that blinkered that you cannot see beyond your own myopic preconceptions and are not willing to accept that the iPhone SE offers good value against the competition then this isn't even a conversation is it, it is me banging my head against a wall talking to myself.

• San.Phu San.Phu
    ✭✭✭  / 

@MrBelter I think you are blind followers of apple products. So I can't convince apple blind followers.

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

If you go by forum, check any forum of any maker, you'll find issues. People who are happy with their phones generally don't go to the forums to say that they are happy. They only go there when they face issues and are looking for help.

I'm not saying that HMD's phones are great, but others aren't in a very good state either (except for maybe Samsung and Apple).

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Funny you should mention being blind because you seem to have not seen a single word i have said.

• San.Phu San.Phu
    ✭✭✭  / 

As I have already said iphone SE is value of money phone. You again and again tell me this. What do you want to prove I don't know?

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @MrBelter,

Exactly what I and I think @SirFaceFone have said elsewhere. However, as @San.Phu says, where those things you list are not the priority then the iPhone SE is not interesting to people. I think that Apple know this, but by creating a focussed product they will get more customers, rather than the jack-of-all-trades master-of-none approach which HMD (and almost all the Android world) seem to take.

@San.Phu China is not 5G ready any more than any other country is:

I couldn't find many good maps to be honest, but the point about 5G is that it either is basically the same as 4G and will gradually replace it, or it is mmWave and short range, so only any use in cities and other specific use-cases. China is not 5G ready and I'm sure (except for the ongoing trade war) that the iPhone SE will be successful in China, e.g. with all the old farts like @MrBelter and me 😉

Back on topic!

8.3 5G and iPhone SE2 are very different, like @singhnsk said, there's not much point in comparing them. If you like one you will almost certainly not like the other. Personally, if I had £400-ish now and needed a new phone I would seriously consider the iPhone SE2, because it ticks a lot of boxes for me. However, I probably wouldn't buy it because I would probably buy the FairPhone 3 instead 😜 With that money now I unfortunately don't see an HMD phone that I would buy, for various reasons that I have said before till I'm blue in the face 😰

Cheers 🙂

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @singhnsk,

No, it appears that the iOS 13 camera night mode is not available on older models as well.

Apple only release a few models per year, once per year, so it could be excused (maybe) not to provide the new camera modes to devices which are already a year old. Whereas HMD release many devices per year, so asking for the 6.2/7.2 night mode to be added to the models from earlier in the year (not even a year before their launch) does not seem unreasonable, especially to devices which are a higher spec, or position in the range, like the 9PV and 8.1.

Cheers 🙂

• San.Phu San.Phu
    ✭✭✭  / 

@madbilly thanks for explaining in details, Only you can understand all of us😃😃.

• SirFaceFone SirFaceFone
    ✭✭✭  / 

Nokia 7.2 (4GB/128G) would be a fairer comparison. It launched in the US for around $349. Only $50 less than the SE2.

Let's be honest here, outside of Nokia/budget Android fans (including me), I have a very hard time believing the average consumer would pick the 7.2 over a brand new, flagship-level iPhone that will be supported for at least 5 years.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

One thing is being forgotten in all this and that is the average person on the street couldn't give a monkeys uncle about the specs. Their phone will break and they will see a brand new iPhone for £419 or their contract will be up and they can get a brand new iPhone for next to nothing and if they do bother to look at a review for it they are going to see nothing but glowing praise for it and like it or not there isnt a sub £500 Android phone can come close.

About a quarter of the people i know with smartphones will happily swap between Android and Apple, they have no loyalty whatsoever but it is easy to see what choice they will make now. All the kids want iPhones, i don't know a single kid with an Android phone, they all want to be showing off their little shiny Apple logo and all the parents now have a much easier choice of getting what little Jonnie or Floella wants now.

It feels a bit like when Apple broke the £1000 barrier for a flagship this was the plan all along, get everyone to raise prices and then kick them in the teeth when they were charging more and more for midrange products.

• Karthik 2003 Karthik 2003
    ✭✭✭  / 

I guess we should also consider what market we're talking about.

For example, I can only speak for India so here the pixel 3a was not a great hit as it was priced high and people just didn't want a phone like that at that price. Pixel 3a was a hit in many other countries as we all know. So here, if we compare the 7.2 and iPhone se as @SirFaceFone said, the iPhone would be a definite winner in almost all aspects as the 7.2 is almost hilariously outmatched in terms of performance and software support.

In markets like India though where the iPhone se is priced at almost thrice the current cost of the 7.2, I think the 7.2 would be a better choice. That's my opinion at least. Still, as @MrBelter says, most would gladly exchange an android for an apple😂

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    Super User  /  edited April 22

In India, atleast this time many will just opt for the latest Oneplus 8 which offers a lot more than the Baby SE 2 which only has a solid heart and nothing else. And soon OnePlus will have those full front page ads running on all top newspapers. OnePlus has grown a lot and their OS (from what I have heard especially from @singhnsk who has been a OnePlus owner) is the best in the Android world. So,maybe here Android does win and it should get 2-3 updates too. Yeah, iPhone will get 5 but I really don't think the last 1-2 updates would bring any groundbreaking features to it. I don't see this iPhone pick up in India where users can just go for an older apple product that costs almost the same. iPhone 8 Plus with higher storage would be a better choice over the SE 2. Now, it won't have A13 bionic but which normal user will be using the processor to its full potential? Most just use their phones for whatsapp, fb, twitter and surfing. With iPhone 8 Plus he also get's that telephoto lens. 😉

• markw49 markw49
    ✭✭✭  / 

The Pixel range has not been a hit in any country. It has at most 2.3% in America and negligible in the rest of the world and is always lumped in with 'other' on sales charts (as is HMD/Nokia). Here in the UK Google only have 1.4% marketshare and Nokia only has 0.67%!! By far it is dominated by either Apple or Samsung (though India is Xiaomi). https://gs.statcounter.com/vendor-market-share/mobile/united-kingdom

Totally agree with @MrBelter though that all the kids/teens etc. have iPhones and I hardly see anyone with an Android, in my family only myself and my wife have a Nokia, everyone else has an iPhone. The new SE 2020 is a fantastic buy at the price, iPhone 11 performance for about a third of the price! All the kids will want them, parents will buy as it is so much cheaper and average Joe couldn't give two stuffs about the specs just the logo in which Apple is seen as much more prestigious than any other.

I have had multiple Nokia phones from the 3210 in 1999 though the N-Gage, Lumia 800, 820, 950XL, 8 and now 8.1 but with the constant Android issues of fragmentation, patchy support even on Android One. My phone is unlikely to be supported post Android 11, I am seriously considering an iPhone as my next phone.

• San.Phu San.Phu
    ✭✭✭  / 

@markw49 as you mentioned above, please don't consider, go for iphone😉😉

• chetan18 chetan18
    ✭✭✭  /  edited April 22

@HMDLaura @singhnsk @mad@madbilly

request to Nokia launch phone to compete with iphone SE 2010

1. Launch phone with latest hardware but 5 inch display.

2. With only fingure print, no face unlock.