Colour e-Ink body, backside or case - the new Xpress-on cover? 💡

Hi all 👋 Instead of us always having to depend on HMD producing a phone model in a colour that we want, HMD could give us the ability to choose for ourselves!

Colour e-Ink body, backside or case - the new Xpress-on cover? 💡

madbilly madbilly
Super User  / 

Hi all 👋

Instead of us always having to depend on HMD producing a phone model in a colour that we want, HMD could give us the ability to choose for ourselves!

E-ink can show a wide range of colours, not only the grey tones which are well known about. If our phones were covered in this e-ink display instead of the static colours which HMD's designers choose, then we could all choose which colour, design or, even adaptive design/colour/ or even an animated GIF! we would like displayed on our phones.

E-ink is slow, but the colour, or design, on one's phone isn't something which needs to be updated at a high refresh rate, even for showing an animated GIF.

Ideally, the whole phone body would be covered in an e-ink display, however since this would need to be curved it would be more sensible to start with just the back panel. HMD could still make irreparable glass sandwiches with this, but at least they'd be more interesting to look at 😆

Or, if HMD think that is too risky, they could make a phone case for their best selling model, or their flagship, which uses colour e-ink. Personally I think that would be a missed opprtunity though, as another vendor would be bound to steal that chance and make a phone body from it.

This would be some real innovation from HMD, something which they, IMHO, badly need to do.

Even if they don't do it I hope it gives them some other ideas.

Cheers 🙂

Comments

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    Super User  / 

Or how about making user replaceable back panels like on the original Nokia 2 which don't curve much. And make them e-ink displays. This wouldn't be a case but will be part of the phone. 😁

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @Kartik Gada,

Yes, that's another option, which I would prefer, but we know that HMD like glass sandwiches so I tried to suggest something they might pay attention to! 😆

Also, a replaceable back panel wouldn't work as well as a full rear screen or even whole body, because it wouldn't look as complete, there would still be a noticeable amount of the back which wasn't colour e-ink.

Cheers 🙂

Super User  / 

Only the frame wouldn't be a display, The entire back will be covered. But then the display will need space and this means thicker phones. 😅

This also means we can add bigger sensors along with this eink display wildness. 😁

Maybe you should start a kickstarter campaign for such cases. Nokia Exclusive or not. You can decide. 😃

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @Kartik Gada,

Well the only way to know what it will look like is a mock-up! How to do that? What software do people use for things like this?

Cheers 🙂

Super User  / 

I don't know. Maybe @singhnsk would be aware of some tools. Adobe illustrator? I really don't know. 😅

It's much easier and better to ask someone who knows to work on these tools to create a mock-up.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Oh I thought it would be something like Blender or a CAD product.

Cheers 🙂