Would you buy a 2017 Nokia 8 with Android 11 for ~£€$400?

Hi all, To continue the theme that's all over the web at the moment of "Would you buy this product from 2017 for less money" in the context of the new iPhone SE, I thought I'd try the same with the original Nokia 8!

Would you buy a 2017 Nokia 8 with Android 11 for ~£€$400?

madbilly madbilly
Super User  /  edited April 24

Hi all,

To continue the theme that's all over the web at the moment of "Would you buy this product from 2017 for less money" in the context of the new iPhone SE, I thought I'd try the same with the original Nokia 8!

So, imagine that the original Nokia 8 was still available to buy but coming with Android 10 and the 2/3 year update promise, and a Snapdragon 855+ (not 865 because that's too recent, not comparable to age of the Bionic A13 in the iPhone SE). This Nokia 8 2017 redux will not have 5G. The camera hardware will basically be the same with only minor improvements.

Oh, and the colours are now turquoise, pale orange and dark grey 😉

All other hard specs will be the same.

What do you think? Would you buy it? Personally, I'd be very tempted, this would certainly make more sense to me than a 7.2 and especially the 8.3 5G.

Cheers 🙂

Comments

• San.Phu San.Phu
    ✭✭✭  /  edited April 24

I will not buy Nokia phones in future. Because they will all be on android one with full of bugs. Now I understand that same peoples behind the fallback of nokia are in HMD global😃😃

• EJofYeman EJofYeman
    ✭✭  / 

Seriously talking, I have Xiaomi Mi A1, and I got it just for its Android version. Take it or leave it, it still have bugs, serious ones! Also, Nokia devices might become the only to have Android one, in future. Considering that new devices don't have the Android one label at the back anymore, this could be a declaration by HMD that this how our UI is going to be. The thing that bothers me is having lightweight software on a flagship modular; It's not the best solution. Oh yeah, about the original topic, why would I get an old-stock phone with a recent price tag? Don't get me wrong, Nokia 8, the original is an awesome & compact gadget. On the other hand, that device has become almost old to compete against more recent chipsets. In a conclusion, you can't teach new tricks to an old dog. 😁

• user123 user123
    ✭✭✭  / 

if HMD comes with an device with design like Nokia 8 (Small and compact) with OLED panel then it will be a good one.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @EJofYeman,

I think you missed my point or misread what I wrote. I said a Nokia 8 design but with modern internals, so an 855+ chipset, not the 835 that the Nokia 8 came with in 2017.

I also said it would come with Android 10.

Cheers 🙂

• NPraw NPraw
    ✭✭✭  / 

Personally I would. SD855+ with better camera and huge optimizations here and there, count me in. And please make copper color available.

• San.Phu San.Phu
    ✭✭✭  / 

@madbilly is collecting all the required parts, and soon he is going to assemble. Meanwhile Please suggest more customisation which you require.😂😂

• NPraw NPraw
    ✭✭✭  / 

Uh, building a phone is not just about assembling it. One should ensure both the hardware and software are optimized so that it can deliver max potential from it. No matter how good the hardware specs above the paper, if the software fails then it is no use. Unfortunately HMD is failing on delivering good optimization, especially the so bugged software, and hardware failure on the camera and the static half screen just make it worse.

No I don't need more customisation, I need more optimization if this proposed phone really happen.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @NPraw,

You're right, and if @San.Phu was right about me then I'd optimise it as well as HMD did the original Nokia 8... 😉

I think that making a smartphone is one of the hardest electronics projects one could undertake, so I certainly won't be doing it any time soon but it's definitely interesting, especially after reading about the likes of Fairphone, PinePhone, Shiftphone and a few other startups.

I listed the 855+ but TBH I'd be happy with the new Mediatek Dimensity or latest Exynos or Kirin SoC in instead, especially if they were cheaper 😆

Cheers 🙂