Screen Pressure Point

Good morning!

Screen Pressure Point

jellel jellel
✭✭  /  edited September 2018
Good morning! Since a few weeks, I have a white dot (brighter dot, especially visible when the screen is white) on the bottom middle of my display, a bit above the fingerprint scanner. After some research I found this (might) is a pressure point on the bottom of the display. Did anyone else had this with their 8? Does someone know how to fix this?

Thanks!

Jelle

Comments

• Dheeraj Dheeraj
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Can you share some pictures of it?
  • mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 

Whenever i have seen anything like that on an LCD screen it has been caused by hotspot.

• jellel jellel
    ✭✭  / 

Sorry for the late reaction , had a busy week! Here is a picture of the pressure point. Hope someone can give advice! 

• mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 

I have noticed mine has the same thing but i have to look very, very hard to see it

• RaveXII RaveXII
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Mine also has the same thing .Does anyone know how to fix it
  • Same issue :(

• jellel jellel
    ✭✭  / 
    I hope someone from the Nokia team will read this thread asap, I (and a few others I see!) want a fix for this! I live in the Netherlands, and there aren't any Nokia Stores here, so can't ask there for help either...
  • mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    I have noticed mine is slowly getting worse and much more noticeable as the phone ages. It doesn't effect the phone in operation but it is starting to look unsightly.

If you watch Zacks teardown on JerryRigEverything you can see the "hot spot" is exactly where something is stuck on the back of the screen.

Full video

• petrus petrus
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Even I have the same problem.  :#
  • todesurteil todesurteil
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Sounds and looks to me like a dead pixel...
  • mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    Clearly it isn't a dead pixel.
    ✭✭✭  /  edited March 2
    If it was a hotspot as you said supra, you would first see discolouration of the screen, showing there's a heat issue. Normally a screen would display a reddish colour where the heat (hotspot) is. I've seen this on laptop screens as well. After a replacement it's gone. If it was a hotspot even with a replacement screen it will be back again. My clients haven't complained after a screen replacement again, some using their laptops for years after a replacement screen. Just stating what I've seen and experienced. I still say it's a dead pixel.
  • Hugh Matthews Hugh Matthews
    ✭✭✭  / 
    If some 8s have hotspots, why don’t they all? Mine is from December ‘17 and still in perfect physical condition after use in every thinkable situation.
  • mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    If it was a hotspot as you said supra, you would first see discolouration of the screen, showing there's a heat issue. Normally a screen would display a reddish colour where the heat (hotspot) is. I've seen this on laptop screens as well. After a replacement it's gone. If it was a hotspot even with a replacement screen it will be back again. My clients haven't complained after a screen replacement again, some using their laptops for years after a replacement screen. Just stating what I've seen and experienced. I still say it's a dead pixel.
    The term "hotspot" is being used because no one knows what it is, If it was a dead pixel there would be a single black dot and not an area of increased brightness.
  • mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    If some 8s have hotspots, why don’t they all? Mine is from December ‘17 and still in perfect physical condition after use in every thinkable situation.
    Dunno but it is odd, my screen is never up full either and indoors when it is pretty dimly lit my screen brightness drops to 9% so it is deffo something under the screen causing it.
  • ignas ignas
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Here's some reading on screen uniformity 

https://www.cnet.com/news/is-lcd-and-led-lcd-hdtv-uniformity-a-problem/
    http://www.tweakguides.com/HDTV_10.html

The white spot could just be an extension of that. It doesn't look like that square under the display should do anything, but maybe it does put slightly uneven pressure on the screen, the difference getting bigger with age. I mean just press on any monitor slightly, it immediately shifts in brightness. It's really difficult to get an LCD backlight to diffuse evenly (impossible actually, but you can get close enough where it doesn't matter), then all the pixels to work in agreement and as we all probably know the Nokia 8 display is anything but quality, I could always see some bleeding from the sides. 
    ✭✭✭  / 
    mrbelter said:
    The term "hotspot" is being used because no one knows what it is, If it was a dead pixel there would be a single black dot and not an area of increased brightness.
    That's exactly in my experience what happens when a pixel dies, you will see the other surrounding pixels appear brighter. Well that's what I've seen with Laptop screens that I've replaced. Always thought it was the screen and backlight over compensating for the one pixel that doesn't work optimally anymore or a burn-in from leaving the screen on too long or something. To me it was just a sign the screen is busy dying and need to be replaced and advised my clients as such. But it seems you know better. All of the best hope you have the guts one day to write a post and say I was right, but I doubt it.  
  • ignas ignas
    ✭✭✭  / 
    mrbelter said:
    That's exactly in my experience what happens when a pixel dies, you will see the other surrounding pixels appear brighter. Well that's what I've seen with Laptop screens that I've replaced. Always thought it was the screen and backlight over compensating for the one pixel that doesn't work optimally anymore or a burn-in from leaving the screen on too long or something. To me it was just a sign the screen is busy dying and need to be replaced and advised my clients as such. But it seems you know better. All of the best hope you have the guts one day to write a post and say I was right, but I doubt it.  
    So you're saying multiple phones have single pixels dying in around the same area? 

With how displays work, it doesn't make much sense. The backlight doesn't compensate for anything, it can't decide for one area to be brighter than the other. And it doesn't make much sense for other pixels to produce a ridiculously smooth gradient around a dead pixel either - they have no problem displaying black elements as thin as 1px without the surrounding area changing tint. This looks like a plain uniformity issue which is not at all uncommon in LCDs. 
  • mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    mrbelter said:
    You do realise we aren't talking about that black dot visible in the image don't you?
  • mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    ignas said:
    The white spot could just be an extension of that. It doesn't look like that square under the display should do anything,
    The square itself doesn't do anything i wouldn't have thought but it does sit above this and keep it  from having direct contact the back of the screen (it is part of the charging circuit)

• mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    When i bought my monitor it came with a single dead pixel very near the bottom bezel and it sits in the windows taskbar so i don't notice it. I have been using the monitor daily for the last 15 months and it is not only brighter than my Nokia 8 it is also on for over 10 hours a day.

As you can see the dead pixel has in no way effected the pixels around it.

• mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    FWIW i tried to take a photo of the brighter patch on my Nokia 8 screen, it is quite difficult given how small the pixels are (unlike on my 1080p monitor) but as you can see there are no dead pixels so that is that theory dead in the water.

• duncadelic duncadelic
    ✭✭  / 
    I have the dot too, in exactly the same place, I noticed it early last year after I'd had the phone about 6 months or so.
  • mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
     All of the best hope you have the guts one day to write a post and say I was right, but I doubt it.  
    Just like you'll have the guts to admit you was wrong no doubt.
  • edge2007 edge2007
    ✭✭  /  edited March 8
    Same issue, same position.
    ✭✭✭  /  edited March 10
    mrbelter said:
    Clearly it isn't a dead pixel.

I referred to the "black dot" dead pixel. You stated it wasn't a dead pixel and that I'm wrong. Did you take it into a repair shop and ask them what's wrong? What did they say? What is the black dot the screen then a fly or a mosquito sitting on the screen? A piece of mud? Like I stated above to me it doesn't matter if there's discoloration around the dead pixel or not I replaced the screen. It might be another issue that caused the discolouration I had my suspicions but didn't test it to really see as to me the screen was faulty and needed to be replaced. I could have tested it, but most clients wouldn't want to pay more than what they have to and be billed per hour just to hear later the screen needs as replacement anyway or it works a few months then it starts again. They were happier to hear they have a new screen and the dead pixel or discolouration was gone.

** Edit:Typo**
    ✭✭✭  /  edited March 10
    mrbelter said:
    FWIW i tried to take a photo of the brighter patch on my Nokia 8 screen, it is quite difficult given how small the pixels are (unlike on my 1080p monitor) but as you can see there are no dead pixels so that is that theory dead in the water.

I was referring to jellel's image it has a black dot on it. Check the post from August.
    ✭✭✭  / 
    ignas said:
    So you're saying multiple phones have single pixels dying in around the same area? 

With how displays work, it doesn't make much sense. The backlight doesn't compensate for anything, it can't decide for one area to be brighter than the other. And it doesn't make much sense for other pixels to produce a ridiculously smooth gradient around a dead pixel either - they have no problem displaying black elements as thin as 1px without the surrounding area changing tint. This looks like a plain uniformity issue which is not at all uncommon in LCDs. 
    Like I stated I didn't check it, didn't test it was just a theory. Didn't go into it to check what was the cause was merely a opinion. Do you have proof that I'm wrong have you tested it? Or are your comment also just a opinion and/or theory? If you have proof please place it here will gladly look at it.
    ✭✭✭  / 
    Would like to mention I had a issue with dicolouration on samsung s6 edge screen that was heat related. The screen turned a redish colour when the device was warm especially when charging not white.
    ✭✭✭  / 
    mrbelter said:
     All of the best hope you have the guts one day to write a post and say I was right, but I doubt it.  
    Just like you'll have the guts to admit you was wrong no doubt.
    And would add you yourself don't even have a clue what is going on with your screen yet have opinions on what I commented. You don't know what that is on the chipboard behind the screen. If you know what it is why don't you fix it yourself? If you know what it is as clearly you are a genius on the field then fix it. Why go on someone else's video on youtube. You are the champ here fix it and show us with your own video B)