Screen Pressure Point - Page 3

Now that you insist on that dot, I've increased the brightness of the screen and I could see it.

Screen Pressure Point

Comments

• marsic marsic
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Now that you insist on that dot, I've increased the brightness of the screen and I could see it. I've installed a glass screen protector from the first day when i bought it in October 2018.
  • petrus petrus
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    How many of you with the white dot on the screen, have a screen protector?

My white dot comes up few weeks after applying the screen protector.

I have a screen protector.  :D
  • Jivko Antonov Jivko Antonov
    ✭✭✭  /  edited April 2019
    I removed mine few hours ago. How beautiful it is :) This is my first phone with screen protector. Because for me Nokia was something special and I wanted to be like new forever. How stupid I'm. Now I don't care. 

Edit
    How smooth is the screen and how good is the oleophobic coating. Really.
  • potemkin potemkin
    ✭✭✭  /  edited April 2019

I don't have screen protector but I have white dot.
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    I've never used a screen protector and neither does my wife and both our phones have the dot of doom.
  • user1508928527225 user1508928527225
    ✭✭✭  / 
    potemkin said:

Same here. Fortunately my dot seems to stay quite unnoticeable. A colleague of mine didn't initially even notice it when I mentioned it to him, until I showed him where to look carefully with a white background set up.
    ✭✭✭  / 
    potemkin said:

Same here. Fortunately my dot seems to stay quite unnoticeable. A colleague of mine didn't initially even notice it when I mentioned it to him, until I showed him where to look carefully with a white background set up.
    Same here. My dot is barely visible.
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    potemkin said:

potemkin said:

Same here. My dot is barely visible.
    Sadly it will get worse with time although thankfully only really noticeable on a flat colour, especially white (obviously).
  • Cico Cico
    ✭✭  /  edited May 2019
    mrbelter said:
     All of the best hope you have the guts one day to write a post and say I was right, but I doubt it.  
    Just like you'll have the guts to admit you was wrong no doubt.
    And would add you yourself don't even have a clue what is going on with your screen yet have opinions on what I commented. You don't know what that is on the chipboard behind the screen. If you know what it is why don't you fix it yourself? If you know what it is as clearly you are a genius on the field then fix it. Why go on someone else's video on youtube. You are the champ here fix it and show us with your own video B)
    Cut it out man, it is not a dead pixel, you probably have no idea how dead pixel looks like... in that spot, it ain't only a pixel by the way. It can be a hot spot because is heated from the metal plate and not from the light. But it is most likely a pressure point, something gets swallen right there after a time of use and causes the problem. I have it to in exactly the same spot. Probably this is also the issue that causes cable brake of the screen connection causing the 50% screen failure.
    P.s pressure points or bad manufacturing of LCD's( stain left inside between the aluminium foil of the inside screen and the glass its self) do exactly this kind of stains. They are noteasy to fix, especially the second problem, but i am pretty sure when my n 8 came that spot was not there, so it is clearly a hitpipe fault. Now, either it got a micro bit bigger and presses the device, or heats it up. Or is the battery that got a bit swallen and cause the inside plate to presure the screen in exactly the same spot,just a very small presure point from the plate can cause havoc on the screen, and most likely this is where the problem lays.
  • jdan jdan
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    In my opinion this is absolutely the most annoying 'bug' of my Nokia 8. Lots of people on this forum have this 'screen pressure point'. I hope that HMD Global finally investigates this matter and comes up with a solution.
  • Cico Cico
    ✭✭  / 
    jdan said:
    In my opinion this is absolutely the most annoying 'bug' of my Nokia 8. Lots of people on this forum have this 'screen pressure point'. I hope that HMD Global finally investigates this matter and comes up with a solution.
    I think is kind of late for a solution from HMD. So the only one would be DiY. The device is really thin, so most probably, the battery aging and getting a bit more biffy causes this.
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    jdan said:
    They wont mate, they'll it is a feature to help you locate the fingerprint scanner or some cobblers knowing HMD.
  • jdan jdan
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited July 2019
    In the end I sent my Nokia 8 back to the reseller (Belsimpel - the Netherlands) to fix the 'screen pressure point' on 25 June. I had to do it in this way as nokiabuilder dot com didn't want to accept my Nokia as it was a phone that originally wasn't intended for the Belgian or Dutch market, something I didn't know when I purchased my phone. It was quite a hassle to send it back but the reseller was highly committed to help me out.
    After the phone had been away for a fortnight I got in touch with the reseller and they agreed that it was taking up too much time to get it repaired: their repair department - Dynafix - was waiting for a new display. We then agreed that I would get a nearly new Nokia 8 (with guarantee). It finally arrived on 23 July and so far I am quite pleased with my 'new' Nokia 8. The whole operation was tedious and long (I had to use my old Lumia 640 for almost a month) but it hadn't cost me a penny (except for a new airglass screen protector by Brotect)
    I had to sign a paper, though, that I had to pay the cost of a repair in case this wasn't backed up by the guarantee rules of Nokia. I signed that paper because the comments on this forum convinced me 'the screen pressure point' is a sort of 'hardware failure' of some Nokia 8-models and isn't caused by maltreating the phone: mine had been protected since day one, I hadn't dropped the phone even once etc. Moreover, somebody on a Dutch forum confirmed that he was sent an even better model (128 GB) as a free replacement after having sent his Nokia 8 via nokiabuilder dot com.
    Kudos for Belsimpel and Nokia, I guess! 

✭✭✭  / 
    I also will send my phone, but for a replacement will ask for 8.1. No more Nokia 8. Because the camera will never be fixed, also the disappearance of finger prints when battery is below 10%.
  • jdan jdan
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    I use the Google camera app P3v11.4.31 - see my other posts. (I am not allowed to share links). Quite pleased, really.

Photo of a small detail inside a rather dark museum, original photo + cropping

• jdan jdan
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited August 2019

And a detail - same photo, cropping

✭✭✭  / 
    Agree with you, but I don't want to use 2 camera apps. One for photos and one for videos. 
    ✭✭✭  / 
    jdan said:
    I use the Google camera app P3v11.4.31 - see my other posts. (I am not allowed to share links). Quite pleased, really.

Photo of a small detail inside a rather dark museum, original photo + cropping

Downloaded it, but there aren't many settings, like the version shared of the Italian, don't remember his name.
  • jdan jdan
    How to see any person's comments? Click on the name above a post, in the new page scroll down and click on 'Comments'.
    You find the direct link in a comment I made on June 13.
    Or see my website: mijnnokia dot wordpress dot com.
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    I'd have been gutted to get another Nokia 8, it'd just feel like all my troubles with it would start again, i'd have rather taken the drop from the "flagship" and got a Nokia 8.1 if i am honest not only is it a better phone all round you don't have to mess about with Gcam unless you really want to.
  • jdan jdan
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    If you look in my comments you will notice I haven't experienced (m)any problems so far. The annoying compass bug was of no importance to me. I was pleased with the standard camera app (I immediately used tap to focus, I used the slider in shady circumstances ....) even more once I knew how to work with it - see my manual with lots of things I got from this forum. (There is also a workaround for the video clicks.) Now my pictures are even better thanks to the gcam. My Nokia 8 is powerful and elegant etc. And most importantly, I got this lovely toy for only 299 euros. The 8.1 is still 351 (lowest price so far), a glass back ...
    ✭✭✭  / 
    The stock camera is only good for daylight photos with HDR and videos, because of the OZO audio. The colors are more true to life in most cases than any GCAM camera. 
    If I have the option to choose another phone, if they can't change my screen, I will choose Motorola One Vision.

Very low light camera comparison of my Nokia 8 and my wife's One Vision.
    Stock camera for both phones, Nokia 8 with HDR, One Vision with Night Mode.

• jdan jdan
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    In my opinion the difference also depends on the angle. The Nokia 8 has a lot more 'extra lights' to conquer. The point of view taken with the One Vision's is a lot better to capture the scene.
  • jdan jdan
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    The stock camera is only good for daylight photos with HDR and videos, because of the OZO audio. The colors are more true to life in most cases than any GCAM camera
    Try the P3v11.4.31 and compare the colours with the standard camera app. I have used the P3v11.4.31 ever since I did that.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    jdan said:
    If you look in my comments you will notice I haven't experienced (m)any problems so far. The annoying compass bug was of no importance to me. I was pleased with the standard camera app (I immediately used tap to focus, I used the slider in shady circumstances ....) even more once I knew how to work with it - see my manual with lots of things I got from this forum. (There is also a workaround for the video clicks.) Now my pictures are even better thanks to the gcam. My Nokia 8 is powerful and elegant etc. And most importantly, I got this lovely toy for only 299 euros. The 8.1 is still 351 (lowest price so far), a glass back ...
    Yeah I'd not experienced anything other than the compass bug either until half my screen died for no reason whatsoever and lets be brutally honest it isn't like it is uncommon failure. Having owned both i think i would argue that the Nokia 8.1 feels no less powerful in use and the Nokia 8.1 is also the better built and feels much more premium. The Nokia 8.1 also has a camera that isn't a pain in the árse to use, as you have just explained yourself look at what you are having to do to get the best out of it. Thankfully on the Nokia 8.1 you can just open the camera and away you go.

As for the glass back on the Nokia 8.1, i wouldn't let that worry you.

• jdan jdan
    Nice pictures indeed. You may want to look to mine on Flickr - link on my website. (If I remember well you were quite pleased with your Nokia 8 pictures as  well.)
  • potemkin_redux potemkin_redux
    ✭✭✭  / 
    If I have the option to choose another phone, if they can't change my screen, I will choose Motorola One Vision.
    Most likely, you'll only have an option to choose between "Nokia" phones.
    ✭✭✭  /  edited August 2019
    jdan said:
    The stock camera is only good for daylight photos with HDR and videos, because of the OZO audio. The colors are more true to life in most cases than any GCAM camera
    Try the P3v11.4.31 and compare the colours with the standard camera app. I have used the P3v11.4.31 ever since I did that.

Ok, downloaded it and tested it at daylight conditions. 
    Stock camera HDR is much better.
    The second one is with the stock camera.
    Also the car next to me is orange, not red.

• jdan jdan
    Use the standard camera app, I'd say.

Still, both photos tap to focus on the same spot? Gcam HDR + on? All other settings like on my site (Francesco Bacchini's settings really)? I ask this because the difficulty of this scene is the difference between shadows (in the front) and sun (in the middle and back).

(Both photos: does automatic correction on Google Photos help to improve the colours?)
  • MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    jdan said:
    Nice pictures indeed. You may want to look to mine on Flickr - link on my website. (If I remember well you were quite pleased with your Nokia 8 pictures as  well.)
    But you are missing the point mate, this is what they are like off the camera using the standard HMD camera app, no tapping here, no sliding there, no installing this Gcam or that Gcam. I am not having to mess about like you have to the Nokia 8. It is time to admit defeat, they aren't going to fix it, it is now 2 years since the Nokia 8 launch and its still crap unless you mess about.