Which SD cards definitely work with Nokia 8?

Hello everyone, After believing that I had fixed the SD card corruption problem on my Nokia 8 by a factory reset it appears that did not fix it, as one of my uSD cards got corrupted again.

Which SD cards definitely work with Nokia 8?

madbilly madbilly
✭✭✭✭  / 

Hello everyone,

After believing that I had fixed the SD card corruption problem on my Nokia 8 by a factory reset it appears that did not fix it, as one of my uSD cards got corrupted again.

So, my last chance is to test with a uSD card model which others confirm works. So, please can you all say exactly which models you use (model numbers please)?

I believe that in the past @martin.fd has used SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB microSDXC Class 10, @user389 has used a Kingston SDCA3/64GB U3 and @MrBelter has used a Samsung Evo Plus U3 128GB, Sandisk Extreme Pro U3 64GB and Sandisk Ultra A1 U1 64GB.

Thanks 🙂

Tagged:

Comments

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I'll check it out in the evening and take a picture 😃

• abecedario abecedario
    ✭✭  /  edited April 28

Since october 2017 I've been using a Samsung MB-MC128GA/EU EVO Plus 128 GB, UHS-I, Class U3, never a problem since I bought it.

And yes, I'm still using a Nokia 8 since 10/2017, it's still my faithful main phone 😉

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Working without problems for over a year:

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

And just to add when buying a card always and i mean always make sure it is from a reputable source and when buying from amazon make sure it is sold by amazon and not a 3rd party, the amount of fakes out there is astronomical.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the tips and for the reminder about reputable vendors @MrBelter 😃

128GB looks like the sweet spot right now so I'll see what I can get that matches your recommendations.

Cheers 🙂

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I bet you can get some really good 1TB cards off Wish for £1 😂

• martin.fd martin.fd
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

@madbilly have a look here: https://www.ibood.com/electronics-de/de/product-specs/61141/288003/2x-sandisk-extreme-pro-microsdxc-128-gb.html

Attention: Offer only valid today!

I have already bought from them a few times and was very satisfied. The shipping takes (announced!) always a bit longer, but I don't know the shipping modalities to France ...

• Mick1965 Mick1965
    ✭✭✭  / 

SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB here , it was in my n8 for roughly 2 years Now in my Sony X1, With no problems

Before you use the card put it into a pc and completely fill the card, and observe the write speeds.

Fake cards will not usually fill to their rated capacity with out corruption. Even if they do, fake cards rarely write at their rated speeds.

• Hugh Matthews Hugh Matthews
    ✭✭✭  / 

Thanks for that. Useful info there!

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the tips and suggestions. There were actually quite a few good options available but since I wanted to buy a card which was definitely known to work with the Nokia 8 I settled on the Samsung Evo Plus U3 128GB which @MrBelter has previously used with success. I only chose this out of all your suggestions based on it being the best €/GB, which I know isn't normally a good indicator but in this case since the card was already a good one I don't think it matters.

I bought from shop4fr.com, which I agree sounds dodgy! All the "marketplace" sellers were selling for a bit more than half this, and the well known French retailers were more expensive. A few other sellers were about the same price, so in the end I went this with one because I think they will deliver by UPS which I know is not suffering bad delays within France at the moment (unlike La Poste and Colissimo... I'm still waiting for something I ordered at the beginning of April! And something else I ordered in March only arrived last week....).

@martin.fd I think I missed that special offer on the SanDisk cards but thanks for the tip! 😃

When I get it I'll do some tests like suggested by @Mick1965 to make sure it appears genuine and it's working properly then I'll put in the Nokia 8 and subject it to a heightened but not extreme amount of video recording to see how it copes.

One other question, does anyone know if the Nokia 8 supports UHS-II or III? Or even what the maximum read/write throughput it supports is? This could stop anyone buying potentially over-specced cards in future (although higher ratings generally indicate a better quality card anyway).

Cheers 🙂

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

The Samsung card i was using is still happily plodding away in the Nokia 8 my youngest daughter inherited from my missus when my missus got my Nokia 8.1. Its the only Samsung card i have ever had TBH, i normally swear by Sandisk but i bet if you crack open a Sandisk card it probably has Samsung memory in it.

• Mick1965 Mick1965
    ✭✭✭  / 

@madbilly

If you have are interested there is a great little program that will do this test for you called H2testw

It writes to the whole card (all but a few bytes) then verifies what it has written, also showing you the write speed.

Just make sure that your card reader is capable of allowing those read/write speeds.

To cope with the speeds, the reader will need to be usb 3. A usb 2 or older just isn't fast enough for these new high speed cards.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

To be honest with you you're better off just buying the fastest card you can afford (albeit from the brands mentioned). You might as well future proof yourself, even if you are still hanging on to a Nokia 8 for grim death the phone is already in a retirement home and waiting for god.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi @Mick1965,

Thanks for the tip. That name rang a bell so I looked in my browser history and ta-da there it is, heise.de 😃 I also used CrystalMarkInfo in the past which I think @MrBelter has also used.

"Fastest card you can afford" is one way, but we all have a limited amount of money. This is why I wish that HMD (and other phone companies for that matter) would be more explicit with which class of SD cards are required by their devices. E.g. do we need U1, U3? V30? A1? We're basically just left to guess and most of the time "Class 10 will be good enough" is the starting point.

Cheers 🙂

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

At the minute on Amazon (UK) a 128GB U1 Sandisk card is £15 and a 128GB U3 Samsung card is £23 so neither are really bank breaking and I'd imagine both would be absolutely fine with anything an Android phone can throw at them. I tended to go for U3 card though for when I've shot 4k video and i am putting the card in my PCs USB3.1 port, it made the transfers so much quicker. I wouldn't go for a basic class 10 card though, they only have to meet the minimum specification of 10MB/s although surely no one makes them that slow any more i wouldn't have thought, certainly not Sandisk, Samsung or anyone else reputable but you never know, you might just pick up a bargain old stock card.

A1 cards are rated for a specific number of operations if you intend to use them as internal storage on an Android device, the A bit isn't a speed rating.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Are those from Amazon direct or marketplace @MrBelter? I didn't see anything that good/cheap from Amazon direct here in France.

Cheers 🙂

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Amazon 🙂

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Bl00dy Amazon! 😆

• user389 user389
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

@madbilly ,

Back in the 1980's it cost me more than €20 to capture 36 pictures on 35mm film and have it processed. The nitpicking regarding the cost of a memory card that holds thousands of pictures in a technical quality we could only dream of back then makes me sad.

MyTrendyPhone.dk aka mobile24.fr in France works for me when I need spare parts and accessories:

You'll appreciate the faster performance when transferring files back and forth via USB. As always I suggest put the adapter away and keep the memory card in the phone at all times.

The A1 rating is about the random read/write speed. Other manufacturers market their A rated cards as 'Optimized for Android':

Cards made to survive a higher number of operations, typically continuous video recording in surveillance cameras, are marketed as 'High Endurance' at SanDisk @MrBelter - it's not designed for general use in phones.

And make sure to discard the failing SD memory card(s) with a hammer once you are convinced the issue was with the SD card, not the phone ;-)

-- Hans

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Application Performance Class

These days installing applications and application data to SD memory card is commonly performed as an expanded usage of SD memory card, for example, it is used as workaround in case of a smartphone does not have enough internal memory. The demand of application memory expansion becomes even stronger with the introduction of Android’s Adoptable Storage Device capability. There is a growing need for a combination of random and sequential performance levels improvement.

As i said a specific number of operations, in other words an endurance rating.

• user389 user389
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Specific number of commands /per second/ == speed

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi @user389,

I'm not nitpicking about price, I paid double what I could have in order to buy from a presumably reputable source.

Anyway, presumably if that's the way you look at things you'll be happy with one of these for €1000 🤔

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_mobile_phones

I didn't know that mobile24.fr was internatjonal. Anyway, they would only deliver for a reasonably price by La Poste which at present is slower than pigeon and horse. Even Colissimo is slow. In the end I chose a vendor who uses UPS Standard as so far they have been quick here, but now it's that delivery is late as well....

Why do you suggest keeping the card in the phone? Filesystem errors? You presume the SD card controller in the phone is better than the one in my laptop/computer?

Cheers 🙂

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I'll tell you what how about you completely ignore what the SD Association have to say on it and then contradict yourself 😂

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

My first Compact Flash card @madbilly was a bargain at £99.99 and it was a BASF card with a whopping 64MB capacity 😁

• user389 user389
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited May 16

@madbilly ,

You missed the point, again. The cost of good quality SD memory cards is insignificant. You would have replaced the failing one(s) 6 months ago ... if my postings in the forum had any impact on your decisions.

It's not possible to determine if a memory card is healthy by fresh formatting and copy files back and forth. A weak part of memory may take hours or days to lose information. Hence the advice to replace a SD memory card at first sign of failure.

FAT is an archaic file system with clumsy workarounds to work with more than 32GB space, long file names, UTF charset etc. Keep it in the phone, or do as you please.

@MrBelter ,

And

bye,

Hans

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

@user389 i am not sure what your exact beef is but something has rattled your cage clearly.

You've missed my point entirely but not to worry.

• madbilly madbilly
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Hi @user389,

No I haven 't missed your point. It might seem insignificant to you but since I don't actually need another microSD card (see below) I'd rather not spend so much on it. Otherwise, why not buy a 1TB card, or 100 128MB cards...

You're assuming that my current SD cards have failed, but I'm not assuming that. In fact, I've tried to rule that out. If you refer back to the other thread you'll remember that I have actually had two cards struggle in this phone, from two different manufacturers, two different vendors, and both cards have been fine in other devices.

I'm trying to isolate the problem, not make assumptions. In this thread, by finding a card of a model which others have confirmed to work fine for them I am trying to see if this model will work fine in my phone, and so rule out the phone as being the problem. If that card also fails in the Nokia 8, but works fine in other devices then I think I can finally conclude that the problem is the phone, not the cards.

I just finished running another fake SD card test (f3probe) on one of the cards I've had problems with (in the Nokia 8) and it again confirmed that it's fine. So so far that card has passed several different capacity and speeds tests in different programs, works in other devices but struggles in my Nokia 8. That card is a Kingston U3 model, bought on Amazon marketplace at a cheap price, so maybe those sellers aren't so bad after all.

Despite passing various fakeSDcard tests maybe the card is failing with age (it's two years old and has a lifetime warranty), but why does it fail only in one device? If I really think it's failing I can try a warranty claim, but since I don't think it's failing I won't try that yet.

Thanks for explaining your logic about keeping the SD card in the phone. I'm not sure I agree with your reasoning, but it's something I'll consider.

The Samsung card arrived yesterday and I did the f3probe test which said it was real then put in my phone and filled it with files and it didn't fail.

Next I'll get rid of those files and try filling it with photos and videos directly from the camera app which seems to be what causes the problems.

Cheers 🙂