Slow charging and heating issue

After previous month update Mobile's fast charging has been disabled as well as phone is heating and battery also draining quickly.

Slow charging and heating issue

Pankaj Suthar Pankaj Suthar
✭✭  / 

After previous month update Mobile's fast charging has been disabled as well as phone is heating and battery also draining quickly.

Comments

• Rx mahabub Rx mahabub
    ✭✭  / 

I also face this problem

• user1533707611419 user1533707611419
    ✭✭  / 

Me too suffering with same problem...it's really bad taking more than 2hr 3o min to full charge...

• Ninad Bulkunde Ninad Bulkunde
    ✭✭  / 

Im facing the same problem of slow charging

• Krisnexter Krisnexter
    ✭✭  / 

@HMDLaura plz solve the charging issue (charging takes more than 2hr 30 min to full charge) in MAY security update....

Many people are facing this issue...

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Is it very hot where you are? If so then there is no fault with the phone, it is doing its job in protecting the battery.

• Mrsingh Mrsingh
    ✭✭  / 

My Nokia 8.1 not even charging guys what to do during this pandemic...

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

In the UK it was 21c in the shade yesterday so for us Brits it was a nice warm and pleasant day, however i am sure in some parts of the world 21c would be seen as quite chilly.

When i was sat in the sun my OnePlus 7t even though it was not doing anything was 41.9c and as a conciquence the battery was draining much faster when i was actually using it and in the end i had to put it on charge a good few hours earlier than normal.

Heat will make your phone hot, heat will make the battery drain faster and heat will prevent the phone from rapid charging.

• Vasudev1 Vasudev1
    ✭✭  / 

They have purposefully limited it in firmware to increase battery longevity so that people don't visit their service centers for battery replacement after 2 years or so!

I've faster charge time using a laptop/PC with Fast charge at 7.0-7.5W. From What I testing through adb. 1.5A at 5V till 30% and 1.25-1.35A till 75% and drops in .25A increments over every 10% increase in charged capacity. I used dumpsys battery.

• Abhi kataria Abhi kataria
    ✭✭  / 

Same thing has been happening with me. I thought my charger got faulty or whatever until i checked here. I'm facing exactly same issue. Hope next update fixes it.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited May 10

Ok, whatever you say, i hope the tin foil hat suits you.

There may well be a bug in the latest firmware but if you think anything has been done intentionally then I'm pretty speechless. Whether you like it or not what i posted about heat and its effects on a lithium based cell remains, that is going to happen like it not.

• Krisnexter Krisnexter
    ✭✭  / 

Another thing if u could notice that the charging actually stops at 80% and from that onwards it takes even more time to full charge or sometimes it won't even charge...

• vishal dixit vishal dixit
    ✭✭  / 

I also have the same issue

• Vasudev1 Vasudev1
    ✭✭  / 

Its not a bug. Heat kills battery especially Li-Po battery far quicker than standard Li-Ion which we already know, I presume. The issue can be observed on TA-1121 models after performing March update which was called MR update.

I've seen Pathetic charging speed that needs 3-4 hrs to charge a battery from 20-100%. In Android 9 and in early Android 10 (Jan and Feb) I can charge the phone from 0-50% in 30 mins. Almost takes 1.5 hrs to fully charge the battery.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

You're preaching to the converted there mate, i am the one saying heat kills battery performance.

• Vasudev1 Vasudev1
    ✭✭  / 

You mean, battery cells charge sustenance? In layman terms, ability to hold charge over extended periods of time under extreme temperatures say 30C+.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

No, it isn't that the cell changes its chemical make up but rather hot and cold to varying degrees have a temporary impact on how the chemical reaction takes place within the cell with hotter hots and colder colds exaggerating the effect.

All Lithium based cells contain battery protection circuits which will attempt to prevent battery damage, allied to this there is the phones own circuitry and the charger itself and all 3 are doing their best to prevent the battery from dying on you prematurely.

It is much more complicated than i have explained here and if i am honest i don't have a great enough mind to understand it all but all we need to remember is very hot (+45C & up) is bad and very cold (0c & down) is bad. The cold effect is harder to see though as your phone is usually somewhere on your body so it is in effect being heated so you need much lower temperatures to see any effect. I was once doing an outdoor photoshoot in the middle of winter and at the time i was using a Canon 40D DSLR with a battery rated for 750 shots, after 10 shots the battery was dead.

• Vasudev1 Vasudev1
    ✭✭  / 

But HMD has broken the BMS firmware from March MR/SP update. The battery charge percentage is inaccurate and I had done countless full discharge and come to conclusion, its indeed a firmware issue caused by HMD. Its quite evident on TA-1121 Indian variant than UK version.

I have to wait for 4hrs for charging battery so that BMS and android reads correct battery charge thresholds/capacity. I have to use AIDA64 and make sure battery charge rate shows <10mA to make sure battery is fully charged!

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I am not saying there isn't a problem with the latest update, what i am saying is very hot and very cold temperatures have a significant impact on how the battery performs.

If you live somewhere and it is 30c+ in the shade then you're going to struggle to get the battery to perform optimally given the phone will be on your person, in the sun or being used, it is going to be red hot. Chuck a wonky firmware in to the mix and you have a much exaggerated problem.

• santoshh santoshh
    ✭✭  / 

I'm also facing the same issue.....i thought the mobile charger got faulty until i check here it is taking more time to charge....plss solve this issue

• Feature_OS Feature_OS
    ✭✭  / 

Two days back I bought Nokia 8.1.

Today it took 4 hours to reach 0%-89%, it was switched off during charging. I switched it on and it showed 87%. Then again after few minutes it showed 'charged' while battery percentage was still showing 87%. I restarted the phone and put it again in charge and charging increased to 95%.

What is wrong with the phone? Why is it taking so long to get charged?

P.S.- Yesterday I updated it to Android 10 with March patch and today installed May patch.

• Vasudev1 Vasudev1
    ✭✭  / 

March MR update is the issue. I never updated it to May 2020 SP update anyway! I got off the "Fastest Updates and always Secure" train since the device is now takes 4 hrs to charge from 20%.