HMD now test software updates in Germany

Hi all, Some news about HMD and their internal workings from Nokiamob (thanks!):

HMD now test software updates in Germany

madbilly madbilly
Super User  / 

Hi all,

Some news about HMD and their internal workings from Nokiamob (thanks!):

The headline says the updates are done there, but from the source article I think the updates are only tested there, I think suppliers, possibly ODMs, are still responsible for preparing the updates.

This news is interesting because it shows that HMD are working to build expertise within the company so over time they will be more resilient and less dependent on potentially unreliable suppliers, suppliers who deliver low quality software and to avoid the hidden things we found with Evenwell. It's also a surprise to me because I follow the job adverts from HMD and I don't remember seeing anything in Germany, but I might have forgotten (note, I wasn't looking to apply, only to see what HMD are doing 😉).

Interesting the rumours that Google may drop the Android One brand. I think this won't affect HMD much, as their brand is still "Pure Secure and Up to Date" and of course long-live beige Android. However, I do hope that Google do drop the Android One brand, as this will hopefully allow HMD more freedom to innovate and still remain within their "Pure Android" approach.

Cheers 🙂