Homeβ€Ί Phonesβ€Ί Nokia 8.3 5G

Replace the 765G with the 768G in the 8.5 5G (too many Gs?! πŸ˜†)

Hi all, Qualcomm just announced the 768G, basically an overclocked version of the 765G.

Replace the 765G with the 768G in the 8.5 5G (too many Gs?! πŸ˜†)

madbilly madbilly
Super User  / 

Hi all,

Qualcomm just announced the 768G, basically an overclocked version of the 765G. HMD said that the new 8.3 5G will have the 765G, but that phone is nto yet even certified never mind available to buy. The 768G SoC is just a drop-in replacement for the 765G, so could HMD just replace the SoC and still get certification? That would be a nice way to justify the high price! πŸ’°

Cheers πŸ™‚

Comments

• KuKo KuKo
    ✭✭✭  / 

That overclocking surely means more heat generation and therefore better design to cool it from SoC, so 765G is more safe choice and it has well enough much processing power.

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    Super User  /  edited May 13

Things that qualcomm is now doing are not good. 765G is already old in the minds of people now that the 768G has launched. I don't understand this strategy of qualcomm.

HMD should move to Mediatek for some of their devices.

• SirFaceFone SirFaceFone
    ✭✭✭  / 

They'd probably have to delay the phone by another few months if they were to replace the SoC. Better to just release a slightly more powerful version alongside or a few months later, but given how slow HMD reacts to the market, I doubt they'd do it.

Super User  / 

A gaming phone with 768G would be a joke in front of other gaming phones that will be powered by the SD865 at almost similar price point. Also, Android One has to go and they will need a custom UI which seems impossible for now

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Good suggestions about releasing a more powerful edition in future. Since they are supposed to be software compatible then should be able to use the same images as well, which will save maintenance. The new phone can just replace the old version.

And to avoid complaints about calling it a Gaming edition just call it 8.3 5G plus! πŸ˜†

Cheers πŸ™‚

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

It might be a joke in front of the 865 but gaming can be a priority in all kinds of budgets and not all gaming phones need to be high end or packing the most powerful CPU.

Just like how the Nokia 5.1 Plus was considered as a gaming-level device by many reviewers. The SD768G will be a nice chip to play nearly any modern game with good graphics too 😊

We can also take @madbilly's idea and just let it be a "Plus" variant and not have "gaming" in the name :D

• Nirmal Katariya Nirmal Katariya
    ✭✭✭  /  edited May 14

First of SD768 doesn't support LPDDR5.

But Nokia 8.3 5G Gamer Edition with SD768 and up to 12 GB RAM is nice idea. ( Redmi done it with K30 5G )

Thanks πŸ™‚

Super User  /  edited May 14

The problem will be its price. But as it will be the same Nokia 8.3 5G with just a new processor it won't be considered in the category of real "gaming phones" which have a very different type of design and hence this could sell as a normal phone. And as you said, Nokia 5.1 Plus was also considered as a budget gaming device. So, this way "Nokia 8.3 5G Plus" should work too.

How about calling it just the Nokia 8.3G? Or Nokia 8.3 OC (OverClocked)? πŸ˜†

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

The plus will be better than G and OG though. It communicates, the G and OG won't communicate anything πŸ˜…

HMD's device naming is already bad. Please don't suggest to make it even more confusing πŸ˜…

Super User  / 

G can be taken as gaming. Hmd won't officially call it a gaming phone but reviewer will give it that name. 😜

• nitinkachare nitinkachare
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited May 14

Good suggestion @madbilly . Qualcomm did same with SD710 and SD712 (Overclocked Version) in past but I don't think HMD Global will replace SD765G with SD768G in Nokia 8.3 5G. They have been tested SD765G 5G for almost 4-5 months or even more than this. If they replace SD768G in Nokia 8.3 then they will have to test again 2-3 months or more for performance, network and camera before its market release. If we see records of hmd global they didn't change their processor even if it's getting outdated from the market. Even Google faces such issue on their pixel device because of Qualcomm launch another processor after a few months(Every Quarter).

Take Example of Nokia 9 PureView Processor even they launched late with the same old processor. They will not want to waste their efforts as they did with SD845 in past or didn't want to add new efforts on the old phone. Similar results will happen with Nokia 8.3 5G(SD765G).

Only one change they can do is cut their some profit margin from Nokia 8.3 which is not a good thing for them. If pricing is an issue then they can use MediaTek Dimensity 1000+(5G) in Nokia 8.3 Plus /Nokia 7.3(Out of contest). But Looking at Mediatek Processors past OS Update records they will not prefer Mediatek over Qualcomm.

I agree with @singhnsk that if the user gets LPDDR5 RAM, UFS 3.1, Stereo Speakers in Nokia 8.3 5G then It would have better for gaming at that price. These things are dependent on hmd if they aren't willing to add because of the price of the phone then fewer hopes for new processors. We still lack In-Display Fingerprint(major concern) and 90Hz/120Hz in Nokia 8 Series(3rd Generation).In a recent leak, Nokia 6.3 will have SD730 processor(If it's true then 1st time 700 series processor in Nokia 6 Series ) then Nokia 7.3 will be better in terms of performance and camera.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  /  edited May 22

Hi @nitin kachare,

I wouldn't believe that leak about the SD730 in the 6.3 if I were you, I expect that will be the new 7-series SoC.

The difference with the 768G is that it is basically the same SoC, just different clocks, so it can easily be put into any 765G phone. Other examples you gave were not pin and software compatible so that is why HMD stuck with an older SoC.

Cheers πŸ™‚

• KuKo KuKo
    ✭✭✭  / 

With just SD765G/768G in a phone of such price level, HMD would be out of the markets, while there are already/very soon several competitors with those processors and else good, like AMOLED displays, more memory and storag in price range 350-500 euros.

And gaming is not essential for all, but just for some. Many like good cameras too, and especially telezoom cameras have come more common and popular.

And also water resistance would be a great feature.

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Nah, the 768G will be cherry picked silicon, it will run at the higher frequencies without increasing the voltage so no extra heat will be produced.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @MrBelter,

I'm not so sure, I think there might be slight differences between the 765G and 768G because even though it's a drop in replacement it is certified to a higher version of Bluetooth.

Also, isn't cherry-picked silicon just capable of running at higher frequencies regardless of temperature, rather than actually running cooler? I thought the same circuit could only run cooler if it used a smaller manufacturing process?

Cheers πŸ™‚

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Well yes and no, a cherry picked processor is the cream of the crop that can run at lower voltages but at the desired frequency so the flip side is run it at the normal voltage and bingo higher clock frequencies with no added heat.

The Athlon XP-M bonanza of many years ago is a good example, it was a low power mobile chip that in reality was just the best of the best desktop processor, whack it in an nForce 2 motherboard, pump up the volume (well voltage) and the job wasn't half a good'un, monstrous overclocks all round.

The flip side is when you look at something like my Ryzen 7 3700X it is for all intents and purposes a failed whatever Ryzen sits further up the range but a 3800X and 3800XT are cherry picked 3700X processors (but still failed further up the range processors) that run at higher frequencies, this is just binning essentially.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @MrBelter,

Yes I agree, it can run faster at the same voltage with no added heat.

I think I had an Athlon XP-M, a 2500, 2500+? If memory serves correctly? I think I overclocked it to match whatever was stock desktop but not much further if anything.

Cheers πŸ™‚

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Aye what a beast that was in the day, i bet a mid range snapdragon would blow it away now though lol

I am willing to guess the 768G is just a more mature bit of silicon a bit like the SD 855+ was.

• KuKo KuKo
    ✭✭✭  / 

Personally I think that HMD Global should seriously consider to bring new version of 7-series mobile, with Qualcomm Snapdragon 855+, which is significantly stronger processor than 765G/768G are, but not include 5G. Because actually for long time still in future most people don't need and can't use 5G, but people would love strong processor Nokia-phone and that Snapdragon 855+ is nowadays even cheaper component than expensive 5G-processors and it consumes less battery too, while it is made with 7 nm technics. To most people 5G don't bring anything special.

So that processor and instead of 5G to include better cameras (with optical image stabilation OIS and telecamera too) and water resistance would be much more in need.

So HMD Global should still offer good price mobile stronghorse-model, without 5G also. And without easy-to-broken back glass etc.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @KuKo,

Nice suggestion. Where do you find the prices of SoC/processors?

@MrBelter I think you're probably right about the 768G.

Cheers πŸ™‚