Homeβ€Ί General

If HMD πŸ“± were πŸš— they would be.... ❔

Hi all, So, if HMD phones were cars then what brand of car would they be? πŸ€” Which characteristics of well known car brands match most closely to HMD's phones?

If HMD πŸ“± were πŸš— they would be.... ❔

madbilly madbilly
Super User  /  edited May 2020

Hi all,

So, if HMD phones were cars then what brand of car would they be? πŸ€”

Which characteristics of well known car brands match most closely to HMD's phones?

• Good build quality? Most of the time πŸ”¨
  • Long maintenance support? No, only for software AFAIK πŸ”§
  • Wide range of fun colours? Not really, mainly it's various shades of grey with the odd "fun" colour πŸ”΄
  • Cutting edge components or design ideas? Not really, except rare occasions like the 9 PureView or the 8 Sirocco πŸ‘€
  • Retro themed models? YES! Hello 3310, 8110, 2720... πŸ˜ƒ
  • Innovative user experiences? Unless you call beige Android innovative... okay, Pure Secure and Up to Date was innovative when it launched but now everyone can do it πŸ‘
  • Premium materials that feel luxurious? On higher end models there is a bit of this but no more than other brands πŸ’Ί
  • Paying a little bit more for that nice warm feeling that you've bought something a little bit better?! Yes! πŸ’° (but apparently we do benefit from higher resale prices)

So what do these remind you of? Ferrari? No, not cutting edge, high performance or exotic enough. Mini? No, not fun enough inside (or even outside on most models). Hindustani Ambassador?! No, HMD phones don't have anywhere near enough character! πŸ˜ƒ

I could draw more comparisons but for me the car brand I think HMD's phones remind me of is...

Volkswagen! πŸ˜ƒ 🐞

Can you see it? Reliable, generally well built, pay a little bit extra and get good resale prices, most are grey, not terribly exciting unless efficient engineering is what you enjoy, slightly higher quality materials, and retro themed models (hello beetle 🐞)!

Do you think that this is how HMD have designed their phones? They did some market research and found that most people who like the Nokia brand also like Volkswagens so decided to target their phones at the same kind of market and inadvertently made them similar in many respects? Do you think that VW owners like beige Android? I'm referring to those who buy new VWs, not the second-hand market enthusiasts who like to mod their VWs to the max.. I think they prefer LineageOS!

Cheers πŸ™‚

Comments