Home› Phones› Nokia 8.1

USB port failed, but the service center was so professional! 👍👍👌

Not often do I get positive experiences with HMD, but sometimes I do and this is one of them.

USB port failed, but the service center was so professional! 👍👍👌

singhnsk singhnsk
✭✭✭✭  / 

Not often do I get positive experiences with HMD, but sometimes I do and this is one of them.

Its no secret that the USB ports on some of these Nokia models are faulty and will malfunction at some point. My Nokia 8.1 happened to be a similar case. Disappointed with that, we approached the nearest Nokia service center (Panchkula, Haryana, India) and that brought in a very good experience.

PS: My device was out of warranty and this is a paid repair.

1. Contacted the Nokia Care on Saturday, and since it was late for the day, they suggested coming back on Monday, but did provide an estimated quote for the repair.
  2. My back glass also has a crack running through the middle and a more harder breakage at the right corner. So, I got a quote for the back glass as well.
  3. Went there today (Wednesday), the technician suggested that we don't replace the back glass (first because it needed to be ordered from the HO, more because it is an unwanted cost addition given that there's only one long running major crack which I can easily live with).
  4. They carefully heated the back to make sure that the glass can be removed without any further extension of the crack or more cracks from occurring.
  5. They replaced the charging sub-board, then affixed the same glass carefully and returned the device back to me. The back is more or less the same, except for the corner which has more broken pieces now. However, it is still tightly sticking to the phone body and I'm okay with using the phone like that. I can always pay and get the back glass repaired if it worsens.
  6. Walked back paying ₹1,400, inclusive of taxes and labor (~19USD) with a 😊 face.

My device is older than 1.5 years and I'm not too disappointed paying the cost of the spare part. I went to the service center with an opinion that I'll hear something like "The spare part is not available", "Your back glass is broken, pay for it first", "We can't fix it", "Leave your phone here for 2 weeks", "Come back after lockdown ends"; etc.

PS: Ofcourse it would have been much nicer if the issue didn't exist in the first place. This is not an excuse for developing products which have inherent design flaws.

But anyhow, at least I do have a working phone without waiting too long. So, yeah alongside the scary incidents, there are good ones too. The service center owner is a nice person here and was nice to me the last time I went there. Much appreciation.

Comments