SD Card as Internal Storage not Portable Storage

I have just changed from a Nokia 4.2 to the new 5.3, but when I have added the SD card, it doesn't give me the option to have it as internal storage, like it…

SD Card as Internal Storage not Portable Storage

badger810 badger810
✭✭  / 

I have just changed from a Nokia 4.2 to the new 5.3, but when I have added the SD card, it doesn't give me the option to have it as internal storage, like it did on the 4.2 using Android 10, any ideas on if this can be done?

Comments

• badger810 badger810
    ✭✭  / 

I have also found that if using the camera in Portrait Mode it won't save the photos if you have an external SD card, even if it is set in the camera options to save to the phone. As soon as you take out the SD card, portrait mode works again. With the SD card in place, all of the other photo options save ok.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I would not use an ad card as internal storage. This is a process that eventually will fail. Best to use the SD card as portable storage as pictures music movies and media can all be stored there. This concept was for phones with low storage like 8,16 gb the Nokia 5.2 has 64 gb

• badger810 badger810
    ✭✭  / 

@jdi000 I have it set up as external storage, but there does seem to be a bug in the software for either the camera app or Android 10 version it ships with. If you have depth option set or use portrait mode with the SD card in, it doesn't save the photos, even if the camera app is set to save to phone. The normal photos are ok. If you remove the SD card the camera works for all of the different options on the quad camera.

Hopefully if it has a maintenance in the future it may sort out this issue. TBH never had this issue with the 4.2 and using the camera or storage on Android 10.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Are you still having this issue? What is the build and latest patch you are running ?

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

@badger810

I have been successful at saving all photo types to the sd card. What settings did you use for the camera when it did not save the portrait?

• badger810 badger810
    ✭✭  / 

@jdi000 Yes I am, if I take out the SD card or even just eject it rather than physically removing it, then the camera works a dream. But as soon as I put the SD card back, the camera deletes any photos that are taken in portrait or with depth setting in the camera settings. I am on the June patch and V00WW_1_030_SP02 on model TA-1234 in the uk.

• badger810 badger810
    ✭✭  / 

@jdi000 Data storage set to SD card in camera settings and under the photo settings, depth is enabled.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Ok can't repeat the issue on model ta-1223 running the 00ww_1_020 build. Are you using the latest Google photos app? I tried just default portrait mode, let me try some more.

• badger810 badger810
    ✭✭  / 

@jdi000 I have just tried it again on a few photos with the settings as above and it hasn't deleted any of them. My Google photos updated earlier today to V5.0.0.317714334, but not sure if that is just a coincidence. I will try a few more photos over the weekend and see what happens.

But thanks for testing on your device. How are you finding it?

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

@badger810

I love this phone! For the price I am not sure there is a better device. I have only had it for 2 days but the battery life is excellent, the screen is very good for its large size. The camera so far is very good in bright light. I am very impressed with this new device.

• badger810 badger810
    ✭✭  / 

@jdi000 I upgraded from the 4.2 and haven't been disappointed. Great phone with great battery life, the display seems alot better, although they are about the same ppi.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

@badger810

Yes I really liked the 4.2 I could not kill the battery it's such awesome battery life. The 5.3 seem almost as good even with the huge screen. I agree 💯 The screen is fine for the 5.3 it is very bright and looks good watching movies or you tube.

• badger810 badger810
    ✭✭  / 

@jdi000 Tried the camera over the weekend and still getting issues with the SD card. I have downloaded the Gcam 7.4 port and will try that to see if it is better. But will have to manually copy the photos over to the SD card, as the Gcam was built for Pixel devices that don't have an SD card feature.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Could the issue be the sd card ? Have you tried another card ?

• badger810 badger810
    ✭✭  / 

@jdi000 It is a brand new SanDisk 32GB with A1 App Performance Up to 98 MB/s, Class 10, U1. I will see if I have another SD to try.

• nobita.nobi nobita.nobi
     /  edited July 2020

@badger810 , any luck?

I have a A1 rated Sandisk 200GB with the same issue as well. It used to work as internal storage on my Mi A1.

• badger810 badger810
    ✭✭  / 

@nobita.nobi I don't think you can have the SD card as anything other than portable storage on this device, I am guessing it is because the device has 64Gb storage, where as my previous 4.2 had 32Gb storage and the SD card could be used as internal storage or portable.

• nobita.nobi nobita.nobi
     /  edited July 2020

I did some Googling, and it looks like some manufacturer might have disabled that functionality at least via the phone settings>, probably to minimise potential/support issue due to SD card failure..

Managed to get it working with adb shell:

CAP_sprout:/ $ sm list-disks adoptable

disk:179,64

CAP_sprout:/ $ sm partition disk:179,64 private

In the gist, you'll need to:

• install the Android SDK (for adb), enable Developer options (go to settings> about phone> tap on build number multiple times)
    • go to Developer options, enable USB debugging.
    • connect phone to laptop via usb-c cable
    • enter those "sm" commands via adb shell.
    • in settings>storage, select the SD card, select the 3 dots menu. there should be a "migrate data". choose that.

** you might need to adapt the "disk:179,64" portion to whatever get returned by the "sm list-disks adoptable" command.

Good luck!

• sad to report that a sync folder was corrupted after ~12GB; unable to list content nor remove via file manager / adb.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited July 2020

I have a 12 gb folder of music files and it's been fine for 3 weeks since I got the phone and formatted as portable storage

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭✭  /  edited July 2020

@nobita.nobi

Why bother using a card as internal? Google has not put much effort in this as its original purpose was for phones with 8gb of storage not phones with 16 or greater. Eventually sd cards will get corrupted one way or another and its always best if you format as portable storage and use for music, movies, pictures,videos etc which all work fine.

• vedbond vedbond
    ✭✭  /  edited January 5

It's sd card is in portable mode only, not in internal mode. Also we can't Store app to SD card manually. There is no option in app to change or copy paste etc. It's meant to be kept in internal storage only.