Background apps

The Nokia 5.1 seems to be awfully eager to kill background apps.

Background apps

Anonymous1243 Anonymous1243
 /  edited November 5

The Nokia 5.1 seems to be awfully eager to kill background apps. Apps like Whatsapp keep getting killed and there is no  background activity manager setting at Settings -> Battery. 

Comments

• Same issue here. I am unable to run Twilight (because it is randomly killed even though it should never be killed) which I heavily relied on in the past to get sleepy when it's late (twilight draws a reddish screen overlay). If there is no sign of this being fixed I'll strongly consider to return my new Nokia 5.1 and warn other potential buyers of these issues.
  • singhnsk singhnsk
    ✭✭✭  / 

You should try disabling "Battery Optimization" for the apps which you want to keep running infinitely in the background.

• user1535885788158 user1535885788158
     /  edited November 5
    I already disabled battery optimization for the Twilight app but it makes no difference. Still terminated at random. Aren't
    such background processes supposed to be kept alive? Never had any such issues on my old phone.
  • Jannis Jannis
    ✭✭  / 
    The question is if this a problem with Android 8 (which I rather doubt), or rather with Android One. The 2GB RAM can't also be the problem, as older devices hadn't these problems with the closing apps.
  • paul d paul d
     / 

The only solution I found to this problem was to use adb to blow away all the com.evenwell bloat that HMD seems insistent on loading. Why they felt they know how to do power management better than the standard Android settings (especially with doze) I have no idea. So far no ill effects from getting rid of all evenwell packages - just standard Android goodness.

• Jannis Jannis
    ✭✭  / 

Well, maybe they thought they will do that, because of the ridiculous batterys with lesser than 3000 mAh.

• Yeah, the fact this doesn't really seem to bother them does not convince me to buy a Nokia phone next time or encourage others to do so. Really this seems a rather problematic issue, apps are restarting all the time which is really hurting multitasking on top of the fact I can permanently not use Twilight anymore for screen filtering.

Paul (if you read this), does taking out the HMD software affect battery life very badly? I'm not use to very impressive battery life, so if it lasts just one day thats fine with me.

• Is this taken seriously? I now have issues with not getting notifications from some messaging apps, which I think might be related.
  • Eic Eic
     /  edited September 17
    The problem affects Nokia 5 and Nokia 6 users too. It's been this way since last year's October patch. Wrote tons of feedback about it to Nokia. Nobody cares. Literally. Person from support always say something like "sorry about your problems, I'll get this to developers". As far as I'm concerned, those feedbacks go straight to the trash can. Because that's what you get for buying nokia device.
  •  @Eic that really sucks. I noticed that sometimes notifications, for example from WhatsApp, suddenly vanish again. When I then switch to the app it restarts. If nothing has happened in a year, then I have very little confidence this will get solved. I also contacted support to ask them to bring this issue to the attention of the developers.

I really don't want to go through the trouble of returning my phone but this is almost forcing me to. Alternatively I might root the phone and install a decent Android version.

• Eic Eic
     / 
    They won't fix anything and bootloader's locked, so we're stuck.
  • I remember such behavior was after upgrading Nokia 6 to Android 8.0, very aggressive memory management killing apps even excluded from battery optimization. That was kind of fixed after upgrade to 8.1. Probably some bugs were fixed in evenwell packages

• paul d paul d
     / 

I found the best bug fix for the evenwell packages was to blow them all away on my 3.1. No issues or lost features encountered after a month of running it like that.

• Have you removed all com.evenwell.* packages? AFAIK without root privileges packages are removed only for the current user and get restored on factory reset. Btw did it result into freeing any space? 

I just disabled at least half of those evenwell packages responsible for collecting and reporting various telemetry, but probably removing is the next step :)

• paul d paul d
     / 

You're right - I could only remove them for the current user. ie,
    pm uninstall --user 0 <packagename>

Can't say I paid much attention to the space change - it wasn't significant enough for me to notice.

• Eic Eic
     / 

System apps are in system partition, which user cannot access (user can only access main partition). Sizes of partitions are pre-set, so deleting system apps isn't going to free up the space that user uses.

I too disabled majority of evenwell packages. Noticed minimum changes to the good side just after deletion, but then I restarted the phone and everything's back to normal (it will take couple of days to notice the changes). Will update if any changes will surface.

• Eic Eic
     /  edited October 17

Sorry for the double, but here's my update: phone still sucks.

Have a nice day.

• Anonymous1243 Anonymous1243
     /  edited October 30

Still having the same problems, only worse. Whatsapp keeps dying as do other background apps like call recorder... 

Nokia/HMD displays the exact amount of interest in fixing this problem as I expected, that is none whatsoever. 

• same issue with 3.1. Apps are closing in background. What's so smart about this Smartphone.
    if i have knows this, i wouldn't have bought it.
    Nokia, please look into this...
  • Eic Eic
     / 

Don't worry. They won't fix sh.t. Wait for bootloader to unlock and use lineageOS.