Nokia 8 PROBLEMS

This is a collection of problems happened to me, and others reported by other owners of this phone.

Nokia 8 PROBLEMS

Hoàng An Nguyễn Hoàng An Nguyễn
✭✭  /  edited June 23

This is a collection of problems happened to me, and others reported by other owners of this phone.

1. Suddenly restart and sound problem, this is by far the most devastating issue of this phone. Because it renders the phone unusable after some time. The duration before symptoms appear may vary, for me it's one year. Solution is to replace a new battery, but eventually it will happen again. I already did 2 replacements.
  2. Image retention on screen when viewing static contents, some people refer this as screen burn-in. However, burn-in is another problem often seen on OLED panel and irreversible, image retention isn't. It does not affect phone usability yet very annoying. It was a widespread issue of LG made panels several years ago, also happened to LG phones. Some speculated this is a characteristic of Quantum dot technology used by LG.
  3. Half of the screen goes static. Have to replace the screen, digitizer also (cuz they come in one pack). Unfortunately, HMD are no longer produce spare LCD for Nokia 8 so those who affected have to resort for 3rd parties LCDs.
  4. Wobble touch registration. Let me explain, use one finger to touch the screen and keep it still, the registered touch point appeared on screen does not stay still, it wobbles. Wobble touch makes it really hard to play some games on this phone, like aiming in PUBG.
  5. If using a glass screen protector, lay the phone on a flat hard surface, try to swipe some gestures with one finger, like drawing a line. The phone suffers to register the full gesture, instead makes a fragmented line. Funny thing is, if cover the top of the phone by hand, this weird issue seems to disappear. May touch signals get messed up with wifi antenna or something?
  6. Some headphones especially ones with 4-ring plug when plug into Nokia 8, they get static noises on one side. That's why I rarely use this phone audio jack. So far I do not see anyone else happens to have this problem with their unit though, or they do not report?
  7. Compass: messed up compass since Android 9 update. Do not know if they have fixed that or not
  8. Camera issues: beep noise when recording video, swipe-to-access pro mode does not work in landscape view
  9. Poor firmware build 1: System services occupy more than 1.5 GB of RAM, when compare to newer Nokia devices like Nokia 8.1 with the same 4 GB of RAM, that part only takes up about 1 GB of RAM, the same can be seen on Pixel 3a. Imagine more than 2 apps can be load with that 500 MB of RAM being wasted. If you are interested, take a look in Developer options -> running services.
  10. Poor firmware build 2: notification icons still remain on status bar even after messages were seen in app (have to scroll down manually to update).

Comments

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Dude it is 3 years old, chuck it in the bin!