Static noise from speaker

Hi everyone, When I listen to any sort of audio through the main speaker, it goes with noticable white noise. At high volume settings, it is not that striking.

Static noise from speaker

kwn345 kwn345
✭✭  / 

Hi everyone,

When I listen to any sort of audio through the main speaker, it goes with noticable white noise. At high volume settings, it is not that striking. Especially at the two lowest settings it really messed up the whole audio, to the point I don't want to use it any more. At lowest setting I sometimes can't understand speech at all because of this. The problem is not there when I use headphones or Bluetooth. It is there for all apps and files. Even the notification sounds. And yes, I did a full reset :/ Does anyone else notice that? Is that a result form cost cutting or is there a defect on my specific decide?

The next days I will try to find one in stores nearby. The have not set the devices up right now but promised me to do so soon.

Tagged:

Comments

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 

Have not heard any such issues on call, music , notifications or movie playback thru loud speaker. Try disabling ok Google assistant and see if that makes a difference

• kwn345 kwn345
    ✭✭  / 

I went to the store and tested a device there. Same issue. It seems to be due to low quality. Other Nokia phones of previous generations at the same store did not show this effect. The problem could be made less noticeable by raising the minimum volume.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 

What model number? I do not hear any static like noises coming from the speaker. How low is the volume?

• badger810 badger810
    ✭✭  / 

@kwn345 I have tried it on my TA-1234 with no issues on the speaker at all for music play back etc.

I have also tried the two lowest speaker volume settings you were getting issues with and it works fine with no distortion at all on my device.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 

The question is how close are putting your ear to the speaker? I think what you are hearing is the product of how close your ear is to the speaker? I believe this is a physical issue of speaker to ear location. Not a sound output from the speaker.

• kwn345 kwn345
    ✭✭  /  edited August 4

I don't think it is that. I believe my ears are simply still fairly good. By now I got used to it. The seller even gave me 30€ discount for it. That is fair and I don't want to contribute to unnecessary e-whaste by returning it.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 

I can hear distortion only if I put my ear too.close.to the speaker on lowest volume so it's seems.to be more an accoustic event vs a speaker issue.

• DJS DJS
    ✭✭  / 

I have the same problem. The audio partially cuts out and distorts on two lowest volume settings. Listening to mellow music or quiet speech on lowest volume levels is very bothersome due to white noise. The hissing can be very noticeable when You are in a very quiet place. You don't even have to put your ear close to the speaker. I'm no expert but I think the speaker doesn't have sufficient shielding or the minimum volume level is set too low.

This is actually the only downside I've found in this phone. I hope someone from HMD will respond to this.

• Konradowski Konradowski
    ✭✭  / 

Does anyone with this issue had it also on Android 9? For me, speaker is unusable/has very bad sound quality on the first 5 quietest levels. It sounds like the speaker is broken and on level 6 it's fine but I can still hear a lot of hiss when somebody is talking on the video with no music.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 

The nokia 5.3 never had android 9 it was launched with 10. On my 5.3 there is no issue with speaker at lowest volume it's fine unless you put your ear too close to the speaker and then some echo occures

• I also noticed the exact same issue with the static speaker within a couple of days of purchase (brand new phone). I sent it back to Nokia, who had it for about 3 weeks, where they allegedly replaced the motherboard, however when I got the phone back it still has the same issue, so I wouldn't waste your time sending it to them, especially if you don't have a spare phone to use in the meantime. I won't be using Nokia again based on this experience as I know have a phone that doesn't work properly.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 

The speaker works fine not sure what the issue is? If you put your ear up and block the speaker it will muffle the sound. Turn the speaker up or use a headset if you can't hear the sound.

✭✭  / 

Wow that sounds bad. I can't spend 2 years using it in this state. It's not like I'm picky :) Phones had better speakers even 20 years ago. I contacted support and I will send my phone for warranty repair.

Then it must be a hardware issue, if your speaker is fine.

This is a good test to know if you have a problem. Put your speaker volume to level 2 or 3 and tell me if you can understand what this guys is saying at 0:35-0:43

https://youtu.be/sd-3GCzCJjw?t=33

That's how I noticed something is very bad. My budget Xiaomi 4X plays this part exceptionally well - and I can understand every word. But Nokia 5.3 - there is no way you can understand what this guys is saying if you watch it for the first time. And there is a constant loud hiss.

This makes me sad :( I like this phone and it was not even warming up during gaming (I was reading notebookcheck review and their model was hot like ****). I don't believe phones can be disassembled and assembled nowadays, and still be just in the same state as new. I hope they just replace it :(

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  /  edited September 5

I don't understand why you are listening at a level that is not even normal. If you want it quiet use a headset , bt or corded.

The speaker is very quiet at those levels and is not distorted but just very low sound.

If the speaker is good at louder volumes it's not he hardware per se , it could be the accoustics or the output at certain ranges

✭✭  / 

On my Nokia 5.3 I consider level 1 as quiet. 2-3 as normal. At 5 sound is still distorted. 6 is loud. This is the first phone in 20 years that I have this problem with. It's NOT normal.

✭✭  /  edited September 11

You were right @jdi000 ! There is NO ISSUE with my speaker and the phone is returned to me unrepaired. Or maybe they are testing me... will I send this phone only once? Twice? Three times? Hmm I'm not sure.

Great job Nokia, cost of Stereo speakers valued by counterpointreasearch for Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G is 3.5$ so the cost of mono low quality speaker would be way lower than shipping costs for warranty repair.

The speaker is way worse than even Lenovo A7 tablet from year 2015 costing ~80$. It's just ridiculous quality. Unless software update fixes it.

Save your money folks. POCO X3 for 10$ more has stereo speakers and every other spec way higher (missing only aptX).

And no reviewer mentioned this... I still think mine is broken. If it will be fixed by software, I will gladly post it here.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 

My speaker is fine. Not hearing any issues, what exactly is the issue you are hearing? The phone specs show the speaker type before you buy it so there is no expectations of sound quality being any better than average with mono speaker. Maybe it's not outputting the same at every volume level.

✭✭  /  edited September 14

I got the phone back. I think I will just deal with this problem by using external bluetooth speaker. Never had been turned down by warranty service before. There is always the first time for everything in life though.

There are also some weird noises (lasting ~15 seconds) when using bluetooth earphones while switching WIFI on and off, like the phone has trouble connecting to both at the same time. This is not an issue on my other phones (Shanling MTW100 earphones).

There is also fingerprint sensor problem, its slow and sometimes requires 2 taps. This is only my second day with this phone.

I just hope this phone will get updates as promised and they will not break anything further. Otherwise this will turn into my worst buy of all times.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  / 

I have. Not seen any of these issues on my 5.3 after 8 weeks of using the phone. Bt headphones and my android watch pair very well without issue. Do not hear any noise in bt headphones when switching wifi on off. The finger print is faster than my 5.1 plus was. And have never had to touch it more than once to get a response. Clean the fingerprint sensor