[Moved] efuse Blown: success?

This discussion was created from comments split from: [Update 26/05/20] Android 10 on Nokia 3.1 Plus.

[Moved] efuse Blown: success?

System System
✭✭✭  / 
This discussion was created from comments split from: [Update 26/05/20] Android 10 on Nokia 3.1 Plus.

Comments

• GerryPrivate GerryPrivate
     / 

Hello there;

I've the following problem with my Nokia 3.1 PLUS:

I bought the phone used with android 9 some time ago but never used it myself.

There was also no google account installed.

After I turned it on yesterday it updated to android 10 immediately.

As I wanted to sell it, I entered recovery (connected usb-cable, pushed Pwr + Vol up after battery logo appeared) and chose full factory reset.

Now every time I start the phone there is a little black banner on the lower left corner of the screen telling:

'efuse blow: success'

I STFW but did not find any useful information about this issue according to any nokia phones.

Can annyone tell me please what this message means and how to get rid of this banner?

As far as I can tell till now there are no drawbacks, the phone works like expected. 

But this litte banner is disconcerting as it is totally undocumented.

Thank you in advance;

Gerry

• viveak k viveak k
    ✭✭  / 

I didn't even do any reset ..but I too get that banner

• Rifqi Arief Rifqi Arief
    ✭✭  /  edited June 22

Hello! Previously, I will introduce myself first.

I am a user of Nokia 3.1 Plus, lately Nokia 3.1 Plus many problems occur in software. When devices get an update to Android 10, notifications often don't arrive. I suspect to have been killed by the Android system itself. Of course this really annoys me (maybe others).

In addition, obstacles such as "efuse blow: success" appear when turning on the device. In May, an update to the security patch came out. And can not be installed on my Nokia 3.1 Plus (and maybe others).

Did Nokia really do this on purpose? Does not have software quality control before it is rolled out. In addition, Nokia 3.1 Plus is always late in software updates than other Nokia devices.

In addition, the Nokia 3.1 Plus has a refresh rate below 60Hz, and the application runs smoothly, hopefully it can be improved through software updates

Thank you for reading it, if you are a Nokia representative on this forum, I ask that you please take this issue seriously

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi everyone,

Did this get fixed yet, has the "efuse blown:success" message now disappeared? If not please @HMDLaura and @dipankar paul make sure that this feedback gets given to the technical department and please provide an update on fixing the issue. @stipe1906 and @Themightym might also be interested in this, I know I would be if I had their website 😉

I know that one of you also asked about this on XDA developers and didn't get any replies, nor did someone else with a phone from another manufacturer, which makes me think this is an obscure technical problem. Unfortunately a fuse is normally a one-way thing, once it is blown it cannot be reset (I know there are resettable fuses in electronics, but in software these would just be called a switch).

Here's an explanation of what the efuse could possibly be for, but this explanation is for the Nexus 6P with a Qualcomm chipset,:

Cheers 🙂

✭✭  / 

I think efuse blow: success is from privacy MAC feature, that fuc*ed up NVRAM

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @Makay Chapulets,

How would you do that then?

Cheers 🙂

• DoesntLikeBugs DoesntLikeBugs
    ✭✭  / 

In some other bootloaders there is a check for an efuse to allow rooting of the device by flashing custom bootloader.

Something like

If bootloader.efuse = blown then allow bootloader unlock

Im not sure what's going on here but there are probably more than one efuse bits. My bootloader remains locked on my 3.1 plus despite the efuse message.

What seems to have happened (in simple terms) is that HMD released a software update which wrote to a part of memory which is not supposed to be altered by an update. They effectively wrote a 1 into a 0 slot which cannot be undone (i.e there is no means to change the 1 back to a 0)

HMD are a very bad company, please do not buy any more of their devices. Motorola and Sony both make cheap smartphones with minimal bloat (compared to some of the other cheap Chinese phones).

Either of these manufacturers will provide 1000% better customer support than HMD. They may not update the operating system to the newest iteration as quickly as a company like HMD in the Android One programme but they do not release broken software.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @DoesntLikeBugs,

Thanks for the explanation. I am inclined to agree with you about these phones.

Cheers 🙂

• Jack Strong Jack Strong
    ✭✭  / 

Or maybe efuse blown has something to do with the Android startup security check? You need to draw a security pattern - before starting the system.

• hikari calyx hikari calyx
    ✭✭✭  / 

On Qualcomm devices, the efuse usually controls secure boot state.

If secure boot off (efuse not blown), we can use any unsigned stuff on bootloader part. But if secure boot on, we can only use signed stuff on bootloader.

On MediaTek devices, efuse stuff is totally a joke and controlled by an individual partition "efuse".

✭✭  / 

I think efuse blown because NVRAM Error on randomised MAC for wifi...

Because if downgrade it to Android 9, not blown.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @Rifqi Arief,

That's interesting, so it's a resettable fuse, great! It still shouldn't be blown though, I hope that HMD find a way to fix this OTA.

Cheers 🙂