Audio quality through 3.5mm jack...

Hi, I'm on the Android 8.0 beta, I am getting a noise floor and static like noise through the 3.5mm jack, it's not very loud but quite annoying, I tried several earphones including the nokia ones that came with the phone, all exhibit that hissing/static  constant noise floor which is particularly apparent during quit parts of music, or just listening to people talk on youtube and there is also a distortion like effect surrounding voices on youtube as if the gain of some setting is too high.

Audio quality through 3.5mm jack...

TRANCE TRANCE
 /  edited October 29

Hi, I'm on the Android 8.0 beta, I am getting a noise floor and static like noise through the 3.5mm jack, it's not very loud but quite annoying, I tried several earphones including the nokia ones that came with the phone, all exhibit that hissing/static  constant noise floor which is particularly apparent during quit parts of music, or just listening to people talk on youtube and there is also a distortion like effect surrounding voices on youtube as if the gain of some setting is too high. Can anyone hear what I'm talking about on their N8? It's really killing my enthusiasm for this phone when the audio output quality is worse than my 4 year old LG G3... 

Comments

• philwc philwc
     /  edited November 2017
    Yes I heard that. Nothing we can change, it's about the quality of hardware.
  • mark coley mark coley
    ✭✭  /  edited November 2017
    No headphones to hand to check myself but does the volume control affect the noise volume or is the volume control simply changing the audio signal volume before the headphone amp?
  • mark coley mark coley
    ✭✭  /  edited November 2017
    Android 7 with Sennheiser in ear headphones has no noise at all on YouTube pop videos. Hitting pause has no clicks either. I shall hang off trying Oreo. This is my second Nokia 8 as the first had an accelerometer off by about 4 degrees and it was replaced.
  • philwc philwc
     /  edited November 2017
    It easily hear is low volume. I listen to many original soundtrack which made me notice the noise. Also GSM Arena site has tested and found out it have more harmonic distortion than other brands.
  • No issues here with the sound quality. I'm not on the Oreo beta though
  • user1509787177872 user1509787177872
     /  edited November 2017
    I have the same issue
    I'm using a pair of audio technica ATH-IM50 earbuds
    very obvious and very disturbing noise when using the headphone jack, especially when I turn down the volume to the minimum late at night or when I listen to content with a lot of speeches
    tried around 3 demo handsets and all suffered from the same issue
    I come across this video and I guess the design of the headphone jack ribbon cable may have something to do with the poor audio
    https://youtu.be/DtInQo4ZLNA?t=04m27s

also, when I'm testing on one of my friend's nokia 8 with his own earbuds (model unclear, but it is most likelyore expensive then my IM50), I can barely hear anything when turning the volume way down and the issue is much less obvious
    I suspect that the impedance of the earbuds also have something to do with the problem

as a side note, the same issue happens on the loudspeaker
    even if I turn off (mute) the media sound
    when I'm watching YouTube video or playing games with background music or anything that will play some sound
    there is hissing noise from the loudspeaker
    as soon as the playback or the source of sound stops, the hissing stops (media sound still muted)
    quite frustrating to be honest
  • TRANCE TRANCE
     / 

Yes the audio quality really is devastatingly bad for a phone of this price, even phones half the price have better audio than this, it really is simply unacceptable on Nokia's part! A workaround I came up with was using higher impedance phones, I'm using 160ohm headphones, and the distortion is minimized enough that I can get by, still not perfect though. Really Nokia... I don't understand how they overlooked this... So disappointed.

• FFS it's the BETA, give them a chance to sort it for the stable. Nougat was fine for headphone audio so I see no reason why they can't sort Oreo as well.
  • TRANCE TRANCE
     / 
    Ok let's hope it's just a Oreo beta issue that will be fixed.
  • philwc philwc
     /  edited December 2017
    Hmmm, I think it's related to hardware, not the software.
  • user1509203460899 user1509203460899
     /  edited December 2017
    Here are my findings, let me know if you experience the same.

What we are hearing is clipping noise.
    1. ATH SJ55 which has 48 ohms impedance didn't clip on higher volumes, say till position 14 in volume slider.
    2. ATH AD900X which has 38 ohms impedance started clipping at 9th position and above.
    3. Active desktop speakers which technically have infinite input impedance didn't clip even at highest volume.

My understanding is, ideally headphone out should have zero output impedance but Nokia 8 doesn't. Earphones usually have low impedance, say 8, 10, or 16, are bound to clip on Nokia 8. Infact headphones out should be renamed to Line out for Nokia 8.

Coming from DAC world, this phone sounds totally disappointing. I am regretting my purchase now, cause at given price, nothing is perfect or best (What's the use of excellence screen without decent sound?).

A company once used to produce music edition phones, couldn't provide a decent sound quality in its 2017 flagship phone :(
  • philwc philwc
     /  edited November 2017
    I can confirm that. I also work as a music engineer and composer. It's happen on Nougat too.
  •  

philwc, as a professional music engineer, could you please comment on the quality of the Nokia 8 audio recording please? also how does it compare to LG V20 G6 or V30? (phones with good microphones)? thanks a lot!

• Got my 8 yesterday and use it with Cambridge Audio SE1 in-ear headphones (22 ohm impedance) and i can listen at any volume without distortion or noises on the Orea beta. There is no floor noise either - quiet bits are quiet with zero noise.

• Strange. After your reply I checked almost all earphones available with me. Now I feel that there are more factors than just impedance of headphones causing this issue. I am on oreo beta as well. Also I don't hear hiss as such. Only sharp spikes/clips when track volume increases (with volume level above certain level in volume slider). l must say that all cheap and branded short cable earphones worked well, I mean they didn't show any sign of clipping. Those included original Samsung S3 earphones, original Panasonic discman earphones, original Nokia N73 earphones and others. I am hearing clipping at low volume for my ATH AD900X headphones. I trust them for sound quality and only difference is, those headphones have really long wire. But definitely, its Nokia 8 fault thay they dont good on them cause they sound perfectly well on Samsung S6 edge. More user inputs are required on this topic!
  • flyingzard flyingzard
     /  edited January 9

I am using sennheiser momentum 2.0's and as soon as i increase the volume more than half way they go so distorted it is unusable. Plug in some PC 360 sennheiser gaming headphones and they work perfectly. I am running 7.1.1 and considering the Oreo Beta to try and see if that will fix it but reading on here maybe it won'r...

• I have had a similar problem with my AKG y50. with the cheap and awful included earbuds there were no issue of cracking noise in right channel (or maybe it was there, but the quality of those little speaker couldn't reveal it), but in my y50 I definately had some distortions.

What You have to do is... 

1. plug in Your headphones

2. play music, if You hear distortions,
    3. unplug the plug just a little, till the phone doesnt recognise them anymore and stop playing

4. insert again and play. 

For me it works 100% of the time, sometime after the third re-insertion. I know it sounds stupid, but if it's stupid, but it works - it ain't stupid.
    I am on Oreo beta btw.

• mark coley mark coley
    ✭✭  / 

What happens if the headphones are removed/inserted when the power is off?

• Well, i tried that and it didn't work for me.
  • Been listening to music with a pair of August EP650's they are Bluetooth but have the option to listen with a cable as well. Can't hear anything wrong with the audio output quality on my device, sounds great to me. However is in use them via Bluetooth the sound can be pretty choppy, this though is a known android issue with streaming music over Bluetooth. It doesn't give enough priority to it to work properly, I believe Google are addressing this so it should get fixed at some point.
  • Mine is going back. Wife had the same phone delivered today. plugged my headphones that were distorted in my phone into her phone and all was fine. In fact it sounded really good!

Really random as i have tried quite a few headphones of varying quality and all the others worked fine.

I was just unlucky with this phone......

• KazeXT KazeXT
     / 

My phone seems to be suffering from this issue? Is anyone else still experiencing this problem? Is there an easy (software) solution to this or is it confirmed to be a hardware issue with the affected phones?

• Kakaowsky Kakaowsky
     /  edited December 2017
    Yeah I still have it. Oreo didn't fix anything for me :( I will send it as a warranty
  • flyingzard flyingzard
     /  edited December 2017
    My replacement phone worked fine. There must be a batch out there with substandard audio hardware components. I don't think this is a software issue at all. Have to say audio is cracking on these. Way better than my previous nexus 6!
  • OK just off the support chat. You need to enable the System UI Tuner, then enable headset under status bar.
    My take is that the phone at present defaults to line out. Toggling headset takes care of this.
  • I have the same issue, i tried the system UI tuner to add the headphone symbol to the status bar. It doesn't seem to affect the audio static problem. I'll see if they will exchange the phone if that's the best fix.
  • ville ville
     / 

I have this same problem, distortion on left channel on headphones, when volume set to higher than ~50%. Tried three different headphones and all same. Kakaowsky's trick to slightly remove the plug and put it back in seemed to work, but of course that's not acceptable behavior and I'm returning my phone immediately.

• Gmab Gmab
     / 
    I too have noticed the static noise. However, I've noticed another problem with the remote controll on the headsett. It stopped working when I updated the latest update (31/12/17). I've tried both my headsetts that I have laying around and the original Nokia one. Seems that the remote controll workes for a little while, suddenly the music stops, and the remote stops working. This while the phone is laying still, without any cable movement.

Anyone else noticed this?
  • Same problem here with Nokia 8 6gb ram, 128gb rom. Unbearable distortion with some headphones (it seems a problem related to classic headphones, without microphone). The trick of removing the plug and put it back works but as already said, it's totally not acceptable on a 699€ phone.

Already got a replacement and it has the same exact problem. They are both updated to Android 8.0.

I love my Nokia 8, but this is totally unacceptable. I'll return them both and buy a smartphone from another company.

• I'll add also that I had this problem on both the devices also in Android 7.1.1. Updating to official Oreo 8.0 with december security patch hasn't changed anything

Prev1