Annoying popup on Nokia 7.2

Hi, @HMDLaura @madbilly @singhnsk Did anyone facing annoying popup in Nokia 7.2 after android 10 upgrade ??

Annoying popup on Nokia 7.2

user123 user123
✭✭✭  / 

Hi,

@HMDLaura @madbilly @singhnsk

Did anyone facing annoying popup in Nokia 7.2 after android 10 upgrade ??

I am getting too many popup like

"Participate in rizzle 360 and earn in dollars...."

Can anyone please let us know how to resolve this

Tagged:

Comments

• Jocke.Sve Jocke.Sve
    ✭✭✭  / 

Never got any of those "popups"...

Is it possible that these are caused my any game (or app)?

You should see the game/app if long pressing the notification settings when visible in statusbar.

• Karthik 2003 Karthik 2003
    ✭✭✭  / 

That is caused due to your mobile network. If you're in India, there's an app called sim tool kit that sends those annoying pop-ups. No way to disable it other than taking the sim card out😔

• Jocke.Sve Jocke.Sve
    ✭✭✭  /  edited July 2020

Targeted ads? (I.e. When close to a store they send ads to Your phone?)

Or just generic ads to everyone?

✭✭✭  / 

Generic. I'm getting the same ads😔

• Bharath KB Bharath KB
    ✭✭✭  / 

Sim tool kit won't send pop ups unless u r subscribbed to it mostly now a days sim tool kit app is not visible and i am damn sure about that it won't send pop ups .

The popups may be from google app (ie u may allowed the notification for a particular site while u r surfing in it

Second chance is that emergency alerts through gps and sim and it can be disabled go to the settings and disable it ref ss attached

• Bharath KB Bharath KB
    ✭✭✭  / 

I have a doubt that does sim tool kit app is present in app drawer?

✭✭✭  / 

Yup. It is. And it is that app that keeps sending those annoying pop-ups.

✭✭✭  / 

I think I have a solution. In the app, there is an option deep inside that let's you deactivate the notifications. Once you do it, you should get a confirmation message. I did that and it has stopped for me. This is what happened in my case, not sure if it'll work in yours but it's worth a shot😉

• user123 user123
    ✭✭✭  / 

Thank you everyone , I found out the issue , its because of the sim i am using

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

Good that you have figured it out. I have never faced such popups in my phones. And yeah those flash messages from operator - the only way is to stop via SIM toolkit or by fighting with customer care.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi all,

Interesting @Karthik 2003 that those are from the SIM toolkit app. I think a Vodafone SIM in the UK installs a similar thing. Can the notifications be disabled through Android Settings -> Notifications or does it have to be in the app itself? If the latter, this means it can override the Android settings?! That's worrying!

Cheers 🙂

✭✭✭  / 

Sadly that seems to be the case @madbilly. The toggle for turning the notifications of doesn't work for sim toolkit. It doesn't allow a user to change it. Luckily though, there was a method within the app that lets us turn notifications off. And yup, it worked. Not a single notification since I did it. It is worrisome and could cause privacy issues but I'm not sure yet. Just disabled almost every setting I could for sim toolkit. Hope it isn't a major issue.

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @Karthik 2003,

So does it raise proper Android notifications or are these different, not shown in the notifications drop-down but they just appear on the screen? If the latter then maybe the SIM toolkit app has permission to draw over other apps.

Cheers 🙂

✭✭✭  / 

Not standard android notifications. They just pop up in the middle of the screen at any given time. Yes the sim toolkit does have permission to draw over other apps and that can't be disabled too(sigh).

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @Karthik 2003,

Wow! That's pretty invasive! Can it be uninstalled? Or does the SIM stop working if it's not installed? Anyway, there's a way to disable the ads hidden in the app, which I suppose we should be grateful for! 🙄

Cheers 🙂

✭✭✭  / 

No I can't uninstall it either. It isn't an admin app so I don't know how that works. The only way to get it out of the phone is to remove the sim. But the app stops annoying you once you disable everything from inside the app itself. I agree that it is pretty invasive though.