Nokia 3.4

Soc: Snapdragon 662 '[I did bit of research and found in a budget phone people expect smooth experience above all] Camera : Front:

Nokia 3.4

DibyaXP DibyaXP
✭✭✭  / 

Soc: Snapdragon 662

'[I did bit of research and found in a budget phone people expect smooth experience above all]

Camera :

Front: Omnivision OV08B f/2.0 8mp 1.12um

​Rear: Omnivision OV013B f/2.0 13mp 1.12um + 2mp depth sensor

[ HDR Plus Algorithm & Morpho Video Denoiser]

HDR Plus : https://github.com/timothybrooks/hdr-plus

Morpho Video Denoiser https://www.morphoinc.com/en/technology/3dnr#:~:text=%22Morpho%20Video%20Denoiser%22%20is%20an,temporally%20between%20consecutive%20image%20frames.

​3500MAH Battery 

Display: 5.2 inches 720 x 1440 pixels, 18:9 ratio [ Dont waste money on notches]

​[Aluminium frame , polycarbonate back ]

​[Circular Camera Hub like Nokia 7.2]

​$150

Comments

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    Super User  /  edited July 9

I would replace the SOC with some Mediatek one which is same as SD662 in performance. That money can be used to add a Wide Angle or Telephoto camera at the back instead of a depth sensor. Increase the battery size to 4500mAh with support for 18W fast charging while replacing the aluminium frame with a Polymer composite in different textures and patterns on the back panel and in more bright colours. 😁

Also it should have at least 3GB RAM and 64GB ROM while another variant with 4+128GB should be made available too.😉

Now, back to reality. Does HMD even read this? 😣😩

• DibyaXP DibyaXP
    ✭✭✭  / 

Well they don't read.

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

@Kartik Gada Does the 5.3 somehow support faster charging? If not, after the 7.2, 6.2, 5.3 and the limited 18W for their flagship 8.3, I don't think there's any scope for the baby 3.3 to receive a faster charging setup. And HMD is really not justifying the storage space. When the Nokia 8.3 still somehow comes in a maxed 128GB option, I don't think the 3 series will ever hit a 128GB storage offering. 3+32 and 4+64 is the max they will be able to deliver. They still want to keep more storage as a premium product offering. While the other companies are giving hefty storage options on less expensive phones too.

As of cameras, it would be better to have fewer but better lenses. After the 7.2, I do not have any trust left in additional lenses. They barely make much sense (since they are treated "secondary") apart from the showoff in marketing images and the disappointment to the actual consumer.

@DibyaXP Similarly, the 6.2/7.2/5.3 have used a plastic/poly frame. So did the 3.2, 4.2. I don't think HMD will even consider using metal in this segment and I think it is not even needed. I'll support Kartik when he says that the polymer should be preferred and the money spent elsewhere.

Super User  /  edited July 11

@singhnsk They don't offer such specs and features and this is what we want them to add in their low end phones. An 18W fast charging is not a bin deal in 2020 but will definitely be useful in a low end device as not many oems offer it in low end. Their focus has to change and they have to rethink about this.

Also regarding the secondary camera, I agree that a single good sensor would be really better but then I also feel brands purposely degrade the camera performance on low end phones by tweaking the camera software so that it doesn't outperform their own phone that's priced higher. Brands also have to follow the trend as in this online world a phone with single camera even if it has a better sensor will not be competitive when others are offering Dual cameras.

Most chinese or online brands focus on offering quanity like higher resolution, more ram more storage, big battery, overly fast charging. Everything is more that can be described in numbers. More is always better and it sells. So a secondary sensor helps in marketing "Dual Camera" for better bokeh. But I would prefer a 5MP Telephoto lens over a 5MP Wide Angle or a useless depth sensor. Telephoto lens can also assist in clicking bokeh shots. At least, that will make it a better choice and will also be much easy to sell and market.

Same goes for storage. HMD has to make 64GB the minimum storage space (if not minimum at least as an option) on even their low end phones like the 3 series. 3GB RAM +64GB ROM should be the base on 3 and 4 series. And everything above 5 series should start with 4+64 and have an option of 6+128. 128GB storage option should be the minimum on phones in 8 and 9 series.

Higher Storage, RAM and bigger battery easily attract buyers in low end.

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

Well, specs are the key in every segment. I don't think anybody can sell "mediocre" devices in any segment in this digital age with extreme competition. Every device needs to excel in its segment for it to be a hit. The value of brands is depleting and value of specs is increasing.

My only concern is that unless their top line improves with faster charging, more storage based on UFS, etc, it is too much to expect that on their lower range devices especially something as low as the Nokia 3.3. I'm not denying the need, I'm questioning the possibility.

The best way to fix such problems would be probably to have 3 product managers which take care of 3 segments - budget, mid-range and high-end. Let them be independent thinkers and deliver the best they can.

Super User  /  edited July 12

Or how about sourcing some components like RAM and EMMC is huge quantities from the same manufacturer in the same configurations.

For example, 4+128GB can be a optional storage variant in Nokia 4, 5 and 6 series but the 7 can just start with 4+128GB as base. This puts the same ram and storage chips in a total of 4 smartphones per year which is a huge number. This will allow economies of scale?

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

But I believe the supply chain management and preferential pricing for components is a headache of the ODM which does the job for hmd. Since hmd doesn't manufacture for itself or uses OEMs, sourcing the components shouldn't be a thing for them to watch out for. They just need to send over the specs sheet and a intended design to get the quote.