Apparently Nokia 8.3 5G is cancelled?

Since HMD Global announced it's first 5G phone, Nokia 8.3 5G in the middle of March 2020, already 4 months ago but while none information about it since that any more, and no marks of that in any testing/registering sites either, seem apparently that HMD Global has cancelled that phone model.

Apparently Nokia 8.3 5G is cancelled?

KuKo KuKo
✭✭✭  / 

Since HMD Global announced it's first 5G phone, Nokia 8.3 5G in the middle of March 2020, already 4 months ago but while none information about it since that any more, and no marks of that in any testing/registering sites either, seem apparently that HMD Global has cancelled that phone model.

Of course that is understandable, while Nokia 8.3 5G was announced (on March 2020) to have same components and quality level of cameras with 650 euros price, as several competitors have already brought to market with 350-500 euros prices (6+128Gt, Snapdragon 5G -processors, 4-6 cameras, SAMOLED-screens).

But would be responsible manner to potential customers to announce that, or possible to tell else about that, is there really, so really, coming to market any better quality & valuable price middle or higher end HMD Global Nokia -smartphones in near future?

Nowadays HMD Global seems to just bring to market low end phones.

Comments

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Now then, let me think, hmmm i cant think of anything major that has happened in the last 4 months so you might be right.

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    Super User  / 

I don't know what they did with the Nokia 8.3 5G. By now it should have been made available in many markets across the globe. But HMD hasn't even started selling it. The device is not cancelled as it has been listed on online stores in different countries of Europe. And as per those sites the phone should start shipping from sometime in September.

Honestly,this is the longest delay I have ever seen and HMD should not let this happen. They just killed the potential sales of 8.3 5G. Also if you look in the Nokia 8.3 5G section of the community you will just see negative posts since beginning. This seems like an unlucky device for HMD.😅

Coming to other upcoming devices, HMD should launch the 6.3 and 7.3 in the coming months. We don't know when they will launch but my guess would be after the 8.3 goes on sale.

• mistercovert mistercovert
    ✭✭  /  edited July 22

I suspect the Nokia 8.3 will be held up until the new James Bond film is released, as the phone is used in the film and HMD Global will have paid a lot of money for the product placement of the phone.

Super User  / 

Looks like that.

Also, I read that the SD765G 5G chipset with all supported network bands is not ready yet and hence the Nokia 8.3 5G got delayed. The current crop of SD765G 5G supports limited network bands while the Nokia 8.3 5G will support all 5G bands.

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  /  edited July 23

That's pointless. The bands in the chipset are a software setting. It is the modem and antenna add-ons that make the device capable of connecting to those network frequencies. The chipset doesn't need a change to support more frequencies.

The 8.3 won't support all bands since the modem used in SD765 doesn't have support for the mmwave frequencies.

• Lazysince1995 Lazysince1995
    Super User  / 

forget about 6.3 and 7.3 we don't even heard anything of Nokia 5.3 yet in India. Even if nokia announces 6.3 & 7.3 in coming months they will come in market may be next year Q1 or Q2.

@Kartik Gada

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Hi @Kartik Gada,

Can you give the reference to the claim about the delayed modem please? I'm not challenging you, I'm interested to read it.

@singhnsk, I think that Kartik might be right. There was something said at the 8.3 5G fake launch that this was the first smartphone which would launch with Qualcomm's 765G modular platform and full 5G front-end RF solution:

I think what Juho said in the video was about the "full" bit IIRC.

It might just be marketing clap-trap, but there might actually be some substance to this. If the 765G is available in different configurations due to its modular nature then if some of those modules are not actually available yet then this could explain the delay.

Could. I'm not necessarily saying that it is the reason for the delay though. It does seem like a very long delay.

And the 765G does support mmwave, but I presume not without an additional antenna, or a change to the existing one:

Cheers 🙂

Super User  / 

Hi @madbilly

I had read it on the nokibar forum on Baidu. The forum member "nokibar" himself has posted this.

I am unable to find the link.

• Richard McClure Richard McClure
    ✭✭  / 

No it's not. Available to Pre-order on Clove Technology UK. I think it's just been repeatedly delayed due to the pandemic