I am a light user. Should I buy the Nokia 5.3?

This discussion was created from comments split from: Introducing Nokia 2.3.

I am a light user. Should I buy the Nokia 5.3?

System System
✭✭✭  / 
This discussion was created from comments split from: Introducing Nokia 2.3.

Comments

• strawbale strawbale
    ✭✭  /  edited July 23

Hi,

I'm new to this forum.

My Moto C Plus (https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_c_plus-8646.php) just died, after less than 3 years of light use, so looking for a replacement (that hopefully lasts a bit longer).

Q: Eventhough Nokia promoses 3 yrs of security updates, will 2GB / 32GB RAM still be OK in 3 yrs time? Or should I go for the slightly less expensive Nokia 1.3 (with 1GB / 16GB), like my Moto C Plus, or the more expensive Nokia 5.3 (4GB / 64GB)?

I'm a light user: SMS*, calls, occasional photo, occasional web search, Signal* app (in stead of WhatsApp).

*) When at home, which is most of the time, I use my computer to send and receive SMS and Signal messages.

Thanks in advance for any advice?

PS: will post this in the 1.3 and 5.3 forum too (if allowed)

• Kartik Gada Kartik Gada
    Super User  / 

Anything below 3 GB RAM will be unusable even for light users in the coming years. Android is becoming heavy and with Android 11 Google will be forcing OEMs to use Android Go on devices that have 2 GB RAM or less. I won't recommend you a Nokia 1.3 or the Nokia 2.3.

I suggest you spend a bit more money if you can and buy a Nokia 5.3 which will be a sweet upgrade for your usage. 😊

I am sharing three unboxing videos of Nokia 5.3 all from same youtuber which I came across today morning. You can get a look at all the colours of Nokia 5.3. My favourite colour is Cyan though. 😁

Hope this helps you. 😊

Nokia 5.3 Sand Gold Unboxing

Nokia 5.3 Cyan Unboxing

Nokia 5.3 Charcoal Unboxing

• strawbale strawbale
    ✭✭  / 

Thank you!

So in a way Nokia choose well for the 1.3 (already on Android Go), but not so for the 2.3 (Android 9, upgradeable to 10, but not the Go-version).

Will see if I can stretch my budget till the 5.3, eventhough it has more competition here in France (in the 200€ bracket).

Super User  / 

Google hasn't announced yet that they will force it. It is just leaked news and existing devices with 2GB RAM will get full Android 11. Just the new ones that will ship with Android 11 out of the box will have to use Android Go.🙂

In case of Nokia 1.3 it is already using 1GB RAM which is the current limit of Android Go.

• DoesntLikeBugs DoesntLikeBugs
    ✭✭  / 

PLEASE do not spend any money on an HMD device.

Look at Sony if you don want to get another Motorola. The Sony Xperia L4 is reasonably priced and a much better alternative to any HMD phone, which will just break.

Read the Nokia forums to decide for yourself. There are so many problems with both software and hardware it honestly is in your best interest to avoid HMD.

• strawbale strawbale
    ✭✭  /  edited July 23

@DoesntLikeBugs Thanks for your warning!

To be honest, when I had the Moto C Plus, their forum was full of complaints too 😉

I'm not linked to any brand to be honest; it's only because I need the 'smart' part of the phone for some things (like banking verification app, Signal app when on the go) that I'm looking for a replacement in the first place. I prefer to use my (jacket/cargopants) pocketable digicam to take photos.

Spec wise it seems that e.g. Oppo (A9), Redmi (9S), and other Chinese brands are more than competitive - but I guess the LG Xperia L4 is the best non-Chinese around 200€.

What about a Samsung A20e?

(or a used iPhone 7?)

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭  /  edited July 23

I have used the 5.3 for the last month and it's a great device for the price range, probably the best phone at 199 right now. All the Nokia phones I have had had zero hardware issues. Only some software bugs from os updates. No one adds stuff to a community unless they are having issues or are trying to help people with their phones. So going by community forums should be taken with a grain of salt. As all phone makers have component issues with phones.

• strawbale strawbale
    ✭✭  / 

@jdi000 Maybe I should buy a phone from the brand that has the best/most useful community forum 😉

Super User  /  edited July 23

@DoesntLikeBugs

Forums are where users come to find solutions to their problems and if they do not find a solution they create a new topic and start discussing about the issues. You won't find users come to a forums specially to praise a product. People will come searching for a solution to their problem.

So, it is common to see posts related to product problems and this should not be the final judgement about the product.

Now coming to the software issues you will notice that users of 2nd gen devices are the ones facing many bugs and HMD has finally fixed them for many phones. While the software for new phones is a lot better and HMD has improved a lot in this regard. Same goes for the hardware issues like failing USB ports etc which was happening on some phones released back in 2018 and these were made by FIH too. The situation with newer devices made by different ODM's has changed a lot and the quality has improved. 🙂

• strawbale strawbale
    ✭✭  / 

@Kartik Gada

Good to know - thanks!

Super User  / 

Hopefully with newer devices like the Nokia 5.3 you won't have to visit the forum asking for solutions. But you can always join the ongoing discussions and other fun activities.

This is a peer to peer community forum and you will easily find help from super friendly people like @singhnsk @madbilly and few others on this thread. 😉😊

Super User  / 

I would never recommend getting a second hand phone that too an old one. But as this is an Apple product spare parts shouldn't be an issue. The other two phones - Xperia L4 and the Samsung A20e are underpowered in every aspect compared to the Nokia 5.3.

The battery on the Nokia 5.3 is bigger. Also, Nokia 5.3 comes with Low Blue Light mode which is Certified by TÜV Rheinland. This is not present on most budget phones.

Snapdragon 665 (11nm) is a lot more powerful as well as future proof chip when compared to the Helio P22 (12nm) or Exynos 7884 (14nm). The Samsung A20e offers just 3GB RAM and 32GB ROM while the Xperia L4 has 3GB RAM with 64GB ROM. Again, Nokia 5.3 is a better deal here.

As you are a moto user you will also find the UI on the Nokia 5.3 more familiar.

This is what I can suggest based on your old phone and the specifications of the other devices you mentioned.

• strawbale strawbale
    ✭✭  / 

@Kartik Gada

Thanks a lot for the comparison!

I mentioned a used iPhone (7), because they seem to get security updates longer tha (most) Android phones, but it won't be more than the 2-3 years Nokia promises for the 5.3 I guess.

Here in France, when bought directly from Nokia, you get an additional year of warrantee (3 in stead of 2 years) and the kevlar (007) shell. (price: 219€)

• strawbale strawbale
    ✭✭  /  edited July 23

@Kartik Gada

Update: just ordered the 5.3 in cyan, with 3 yrs warrantee and kevlar shell case 😀

Super User  /  edited July 24

Yep, 5.3 is a latest phone when compared at the old iphone so it will receive the updates for longer than the iPhone 7.

That's a very sweet deal. The levlar case itself costs a lot and the case is ♥️ but can't buy it in India for my 7.2 ( @dipankar paul when will the kevlar case come to India). Also, we just get 1 year warranty.😅

Lucky are the people of Europe.😁

Do share the photos of the phone by creating a separate thread in the Nokia 5.3 section.😁

I hope you love the phone. Happy to help. 😊

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

Hi, congrats on your brand new purchase! I'm very confident that the phone will suffice your needs which you have mentioned earlier and also the growing needs in the years to come. It is a very well balanced device. I'm glad that you decided to extend your budget a bit to go with the Nokia 5.3.

All I'd recommend for a smooth experience is to defer major updates. For example, when Android 11 comes, it will be wiser to wait for a while and see if there are any major issues before you upgrade. I've seen quick upgrades ruin the experience for many (including myself). You can always browse these forums to get yourself familiar with the issues before you decide to take the upgrade.

There's a setting in Developer Options wherein you can disable "Automatic system updates". Thereafter the phone will not apply a system update itself at reboots unless you ask it to. It will just download the update and prompt you to apply the update, which you can avoid if needed. So, you get the time to decide when you are finally ready and prepared (such as with a backup in place) to take an update.

Good luck with the device. I'd like to see you often on the forum, but I hope that's just for some discussions and you do not face issues.

✭✭  / 

Oh man good luck with your new phone but if it was me and I could afford it I would've gone for the iphone. It will keep working for a long time and apple supports security and OS updates way longer than any Android-based manufacturers. Also Apple have a good track record of fixing any bug or problem very very quickly.

For more of peoples experiences with HMD and to see how bad they are you can also check on reddit.com/r/nokia

Android 10 has been an unmitigated disaster for HMD. There are so many bugs in the operating system I cannot list them all.

Best of luck

✭✭  / 

No, the iphone will keep receiving updates beyond HMDs updates for the 5.3 and it will work.

I wager that the 5.3 will be full of problems like every other HMD device. The iphone is a proven product, trusted and used by governments of the world. iphone is more secure and much MUCH more stable.

• strawbale strawbale
    ✭✭  / 

Thank you for the tips - once I've received my phone I'l startl following the 5.3 discussions

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

Let's not make random guesses about a product without using it. HMD has made tonnes of mistakes in the past with flawed hardware as well as software. But that doesn't mean that future products are bound to the same mistakes. They are making investments into bringing more things under their own control and such steps should have a positive outcome provided hmd takes thing seriously.

The Nokia 5.3 is a well balanced product. And I use a Nokia 7.2, which too is an OK product, well except for the ageing CPU and mediocre battery backup. But iPhones aren't king of battery backup anyways. The Nokia 5.3 seems good so far. And let's leave the judgement part to the actual buyers. If the Samsung's Note started blasting, that doesn't mean one should stop buying anything from Samsung.

• strawbale strawbale
    ✭✭  /  edited July 24

Re: new 5.3 (or other Android) vs old/used iPhone 7

I think they'll be receiving updates for about the same period: Android 12 vs iOS 15 (maybe), but the iPhone only has 2GB.

In general I would have preferred an iPhone, like I prefer a Mac over a Windows PC, but where I was prepared to pay the 'Apple-tax' for my Mac Mini (2018) because I use it 12 hrs/day and know it wil last me many years (still have two Mac Mini's and a MacBook Pro all from 2007 and still working), I cannot for a new iPhone (the SE2020 is more than twice a 5.3) as I use my phone a lot less. Even the 5.3 is more than enough feature/performance wise, probably, for my use, but then I'm not 'the average' user probably.

PS: the 5.3 will be my third Nokia, after the 3410 and 101 😉

• strawbale strawbale
    ✭✭  / 

@singhnsk

Just one question (already): if I disable automatic updates (and hence not automatically 'upgrade' to Android 11), will I still be getting security updates, or are these linked to the newest/latest Android version?

PS: on my Mac I can disable automatically updating the OS (so I'm still on 10.14), but that doesn't stop me from getting the latest security updates

• madbilly madbilly
    Super User  / 

Bonjour @strawbale 👋

Nice purchase, I hope you don't have any problems with it. Which colour did you choose? (please not black! 😆)

If you disable automatic updates you are still informed about their availability with a notification, so you will still be able to install security updates when they arrive. As well as security updates and the big Android version upgrades HMD also sends "maintenance releases" which fix the bugs between big upgrades. Sometimes these also cause problems as well as fix things, and sometimes even security updates cause problems though less frequently (and they also never fix anything, because fixes come in maintenance releases). So, I always disable automatic updates and after a new update is available I check in the forums to see if the update is "safe" before installing it - or if it fixes a bug I'm experiencing I might tolerate new bugs!

If that all sounds complicated it isn't because HMD only send out one update per month maximum, so you just have to disable automatic updates and when you get the update notification come to the forums and see what people are reporting about it - does it fix anything, does it break anything new?

I would move this entire conversation about your purchase to the 5.3 section but us beta super-users are missing our abilities at the moment so we'll just have to stay here in the 2.3 discussion! 🤣

Cheers 🙂

• strawbale strawbale
    ✭✭  /  edited July 24

@madbilly

Thanks for the tips!

Cheers

BTW: bought the cyan version 😉

Super User  / 

So you are claiming that an iPhone launched in 2016 will receive updates for longer than the Nokia 5.3? You are wrong. iPhone 7 is already in its 4th year of receiving support and it will soon stop receiving updates while Nokia 5.3 will get updates till 2023. Also, he will get a new phone over a used one for the same money if he purchases the Nokia 5.3 which will also have double the storage compared to iPhone 7.

Yes, sometimes problems occur with software updates but that does not mean even the future phones will suffer from the same issues. Forum is where people share their problems or ask for solutions so it should be the 1st place to check if any user is facing bugs after installing the latest big update. My Nokia 2.3 too had a bug but HMD fixed it faster as the updates for newer devices are not handled by FIH anymore and the newer ones are also much better.

How can you even say that the Nokia 5.3 will be full of flaws when you do not own one while the person who owns it (@jdi000) already commented he is so much happy with the device. I only want to say that never judge a new product based on the flaws of an old product. It will obviously be an improvement as the company knows what flaws did old ones have and they will fix it and not let the same ones appear in new products.😊

No phone is secure or stable if you are using a mainstream operating system.

Actually, he made this exact same post in the Nokia 5.3 section as well but I didn't see it and replied here😅. Wanted to move it to that thread but no SU powers. Sigh..

@HMDLaura We need it.

EDIT: He purchased the Nokia 5.3 in Cyan.😁

• strawbale strawbale
    ✭✭  / 

I'm sorry this whole discussion 'ended up' here in stead of in the 5.3 one