VoWifi & Nokia Phones

Ok, so I am fedup of seeing on these forums people asking about VoWifi and then the first reply being that they need it to be provisioned by their provider.

VoWifi & Nokia Phones

Leaskovski Leaskovski
✭✭  / 

Ok, so I am fedup of seeing on these forums people asking about VoWifi and then the first reply being that they need it to be provisioned by their provider.

I dont believe this to be true, unless someone can provide me with a actual reference document as to how this works.

The reason I say this, is because initially, a network in India didn't support VoWifi, and then it did with a ROM update. At the same time some networks in the UK and other counties were supporting this. Why did it require a ROM update? Well my guess is that Nokia has to ship provider details with their ROMs to allow the phone to then connect to the providers VoWifi infrastructure. I went to my provider to ask then why my handset didnt allow use of VoWifi yet other none branded mobiles did, and they said it was down to Nokia.

Can someone actually list out how VoWifi works with regards to provider settings?

Tagged:

Comments

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

It is a both side process. The phone maker needs to contact the operator, test the setup, fix any discrepancies via an OTA update and then the operator agrees to include the device in their list of compatible phones along with a minimum required OS version. It is at this point that the cell tower will start provisioning the VoWiFi service to your device.

Usually there is no additional configuration needed, but since carriers do not openly provision or allow VoLTE//VoWiFi services to all of their users and leaving the support to the handset, the need for the phone maker to connect with the operator comes up.

And unfortunately there's no easy solution. For non-support products, Nokia will send you to your operator and your operator will ask you to contact Nokia. And yes, it is Nokia who is responsible to get the service tested and enabled with the different operators.