Screen Turns of When calling

I know that proximity sensor works while calling someone. The screen should turn off only when talking via earpiece.

Screen Turns of When calling

Aston Stella Aston Stella
✭✭  / 

I know that proximity sensor works while calling someone. The screen should turn off only when talking via earpiece. But in my phone, the screen turns off as soon as I have placed a call, I don't even put it on my ears.

Comments

• Sudiptapal Sudiptapal
    ✭✭  /  edited September 12

It works as same as Screen on timer. I set my timer on 30 seconds . So when I don't use my phone for 30 seconds, the screen turns off and locks itself. When I call someone and put it to speakerphone, It also turns off the screen after 30 seconds the call has started but the screen stays unlocked but off in this situation. After I'm done, I just turn the screen on using 1 click on power button and then end the call. It's normal and I have turned my battery saver on for all time. I think it does so people woudn't accidentally touch the screen while on a speakerphone call and end it + it saves some battery in this age of Ambient notifications, OLED and dark mode. Same for earpiece

• I found same issu 1 or 2 times other than its ok

• Rakesh Yadav Rakesh Yadav
    ✭✭  / 

Same issue is with my phone...

• Chaudhari Rp Chaudhari Rp
    ✭✭  / 

Same thing happening with my nokia 5.3, screen goes off immediately when I call

• Same issue in here i don't know why i hope the customer service help us with this , i guess this is because an update because when i bought my phone this problem didn't exist

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I am not seeing the screen turn off when a call is made until I put the phone up to my face. If I turn on speaker the screen stays on.

• why there is no one from nokia form answer us !! it is not a big problem to be solved by a software update ! , why should we always suffer after buyinig Nokia products because lack of service !!

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

This is a user forum there is no response here. Have you contacted Nokia support ?

This is not happening on my 5.3 so it could be a bad hardware proxy sensor , or just an app on your device interfering with it.

1. Goto apps force sop phone app then uninstall all updates for phone app

Reboot phone , update phone app to current

2 if that doesn't work boot I to safe mode and try calls this will eliminate other apps causing the issue.

3. If none.of these work back up you data.and do a factory reset.

• i did factory reset but recently in my country some users start suffering from this issue too although it was okay before the update so mostly it is an update bug mostly because for me it was okay too but now it does this, and i have talked to the support but it says i should go for center care services and it is so far from me, i will wait till android 11 update and i hope it fix this problem

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

If it's a hardware issue with the prox sensor no software will fix it. If a factory reset or new phone app update then it could be hardware issue. The issue if software would be a phone app update so you can uninstall all updates for the phone app.and use the one that comes on the phone till Google releases a newer build of the phone app. I have not seen the phone screen shut off till something is put.in front of.the prox sensor at the top of the phone.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

I would not wait for that

Either factory reset or uninstall the phone app updates

If that does not help get to the service center as the prox sensor could be bad

• david2712 david2712
    ✭✭  / 

This happened to my Nokia 5.3 only seven weeks after buying it. It has been back twice to Nokia and each time sent back with out being mended. Each time it has been sent back with a note saying phone ok no fault found. Phone is essentially useless. No idea what to do next.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Have you tried booting into safe mode and then trying a call? My screen never turns off unless I put my finger over the sensor or put it up to my ear.

• it is because of software problem not a hardware problem because the proximity sensor is working properly after i put the phone on my ear so , the problem is at the beginning of the call and as a evidence you see this man the center service said there is no hardware problem that means it will be fixed by a software update

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

There is software for the os and software that is apps and data and software that controls the hardware firmware. So since no every phone has this issue it's not and update os type of issue. It sounds like the phone app is misbehaving or another app is conflicting. How do you know it's not the sensor if you start a call and the screen turns off regardless if you leave it laying flat on a table or put up to your ear?

Force stop the phone app and uninstall all updates reboot the phone and reinstall all phone updates and try again.

If not reboot the phone into safe mode and make some calls. Hold down the power button till menu shows up long press the power off on the screen menu and it will ask to reboot into safe mode.

Last resort I would try to back up data and perform a factory reset.

By the way do you have WhatsApp installed on the device.?

• i tried all of this , and yes i do have whatsapp and while listening to records it does the same thing that is why i say it is not app update and sometimes software updates are different in some regions from others

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Uninstall what's app and try calls...

If it was a software issue all phones in you country region would experience this... But that's not the case so it's app data specific situation that the os does not handle.

All Music players don't leave screen on during playback that's different.

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  / 

The way apps handle that functionality is by reading values of the proximity sensor. And a bit of invalid values can cause issues. Even though your phone may continue to show signs that it is working properly, the values delivered by the sensor may not be fully accurate. So, an uncovered sensor may still make the app feel that there's something in a close proximity of the phone. AFAIK, the 3 data points which are identified are very close, close and far. So, a far object may be seen as close which can cause issues. Apps fully rely on sensor values and hence I don't see any scope of any other app causing such an interference.

If you're sure that nothing is covering up your proximity sensor area and you have cleaned that area properly, then it is a likely fault with the Proximity sensor hardware and/or its calibration. I'll recommend that you send the device for inspection to a Nokia Care point. The way care checks for proximity faults is by using the Device Diagnostics app, which unfortunately doesn't have a very nice testing setup. It asks the technician to place a finger over the sensor, which means a full cover and even a misconfigured sensor will deliver the "very close" result when the sensor is fully covered. Hence the care may not be able to accept your issue unless you're with them in person to prove and show the issue live.

HMD can do a software upgrade to reconfigure the proximity sensor. But it is unlikely if only a few handsets face this issue and not all of them.

• P Ravi Shankar P Ravi Shankar
    ✭✭  / 

Just swap on front camra to left side problem solved actually I think u use incompatible screen guard and that gurd covers the sensor

• Amal Ismail Amal Ismail
    ✭✭  / 

Go to settings, on search: type proxy- select proxy Handler then force stop it. Problem solved. Do it after every re start. Wait for the next System update!

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Why does this have any effect on the sensor behavior during calls ?

• well it worked for calls but in records in apps such as whatsapp it still turns of the screen before listening to the record

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

This sounds like a whatsapp issue if the regular phone app work fine.

• AdamW AdamW
    ✭✭  / 

I am also getting this issue, exactly as OP described.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

On what phone app? Are you using a case or screen protector?

I see no issues with the google phone app. On my 5.3.

• Sad. I had this problem on 4.2 though later found out that the screen protector is slightly covering/interfering with the the viewarea of the proximity sensor (the position of the sensor is hard to see unless you focus a torch on it) creating this problem. Though most people aren't as dumb as me but it's worth checking.

• jdi000 jdi000
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Thanks for sharing the solution you have discovered. I don't use a screen protector and use the case nokia supplied with the phone and have no issues with the prox sensor.

• Pushkaraj Pushkaraj
    ✭✭  / 

I am also facing same proble like mohamed abdelrazek is facing on my nokia 5.3.. earlier it was fine.. very annoying..