8110 4G trying to be too smart? Too much Google?

Like many here, I was really enthusiastic about the 8110 4G and the potential of KaiOS:

8110 4G trying to be too smart? Too much Google?

0b5cur1ty 0b5cur1ty
 / 

Like many here, I was really enthusiastic about the 8110 4G and the potential of KaiOS: I wanted a high quality feature phone, with support for newer network standards and a few 'smart' features like the ability to import contacts and act as a hotspot. What I didn't want was another phone tying me to Google (or any other data-slurpers).

Having used the 8110 4G for a while as my daily phone, I have become increasingly disillusioned: KaiOS has huge potential but (as many here have noted) is currently slow and full of bugs. Texting is a nightmare in any case and basically impossible in a number of European languages, including my most-used language, owing to the useless predictive text and lack of a custom dictionary. Even worse is the fact that Google apps and the Google Assistant are baked into the phone and can't be disabled or removed: It's precisely these things that I want to get away from by using a non- (or semi) smart phone.

Though I still love the form-factor and call quality of the 8110, today I bought a Nokia 130 to replace it: Simpler, faster, similarly good call quality, massively better predictive text, no Internet and no Google. Here's hoping 2G sticks around...

Anyone else feeling like this?

Comments

• acronism acronism
     / 

Agreed.

I bought the 8110 primarily for calls, texts and good battery life but with the possibility of WhatsApp and tethering using the 4G capability for when I need more.

In reality calls are fine, texting is a nightmare (keys sometimes detect a double press instead of single, predictive text is in American English when I need UK, no dictionary as mentioned - but at least the messages are in conversation format, not inbox/sent items like the old Nokias)

Battery life is around 4 days for me which is miles off the advertised 25, even if I use airplane mode overnight.

Whatsapp may or may not appear, who knows... and in the meantime we get uninstallable games and too much Google....

It was always going to be a bit of a gamble - here's hoping things improve!

(Concentrate on getting the basics right and then add the 'smart' stuff but in such a way that it can be removed or disabled for those who don't want it)

• EskeRahn EskeRahn
     / 

I think you all expect way too much of this device. It is not a flagship, it is a simple feature phone.

Sure Nokia/KaiOS should straighten out the outright bugs, but don't expect a lot of development.

It is a fun nostalgia thing, a budget version of the original.

I too get pi**ed that they ram down uninstallable games in our throats - but it is easier to support if there are not too many options, and someone decided that not enough really want the option to get rid of these.

• Regarding the battery, I've disabled all Data/WiFi/GPS/BT and decreased screen brightness to 20% (when sun shines 40% is enough), also the battery save mode just in case, and after more than 8 days I still have 39% of battery. Expecting to run it on a single charge for 12-14 days and that's fine. I was using Nokia 6303 until now and after 9 years the battery was working just for 2-3 days.

• Rheve Rheve
     / 

Fully in line.

"I bought the 8110 primarily for calls, texts and good battery life but
    with the possibility of WhatsApp and tethering using the 4G capability
    for when I need more."

I could have written that myself.

I don't want Google stuff in my phone. I don't want apps / games installed on my device without my consent, and more over without ability to uninstall it.

Hey Nokia, are you still the owners of Here? If yes what is Google Map doing on this device? Why not Here we go?

• aseaneous aseaneous
    ✭✭  / 

I strongly agree with your there, I also dislike all that preinstalled Google stuff and those dumb games on the device. It is great that Google has invested (or bought) itself into KaiOS, although I my opinion, even Google should respect the peoples choice and let the user decide if they want their apps on the device. It is after all a KaiOS device and not another Google (Android) device.

• aseaneous aseaneous
    ✭✭  / 

Indeed so, WhatsApp is a serious welcome to the Nokia 8110 4G. Well, the JioPhones in India already have WhatsApp on them, and Nokia recently announced the Nokia 8110 4G also for India (Oct. 11th 2018). So, with a bit of luck, we might finally be able to get WhatsApp for our Nokia 8110 4G as well. And I hope that KaiOS comes out with a new update which allows us to uninstall that Google stuff and those Games from the device.