Nokia 8 unable to use 128GB micro SD SDXC memory cards

I am very dissapointed with my new Nokia 8.

Nokia 8 unable to use 128GB micro SD SDXC memory cards

I am very dissapointed with my new Nokia 8.
I've been waiting for the return of the brand, but, now that it Is happening, I found out, that one of the MOST IMPORTANT caracteristic of the phone is a big fat lie.
THE NOKIA 8, IS UNABLE TO READ/USE MICRO SD MEMORY CARDS OF 128GB OR HIGHER.
because it can't handle the SDXC type micro SD memory cards, it only manage to read/use memory cards type SDHC.
Meanning that the feature of expanding memory with micro sd card to 256 GB Is not remotely possible.
Is there a way to fix it¿?
A launcher could bypass that limitation or it Is a Hardware limitation¿?

Comments

• mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭✭✭  /  edited August 2018

I have a Samsung EVO Plus 128GB Micro SDXC Class 10 U3 card in mine and it works just fine.

• abecedario abecedario
    ✭✭  /  edited August 2018
    I've the very same card of MrBelter, it works fine too in my Nokia 8, since October 2017
  • Migs Migs
    ✭✭  / 

Plus, SDXC is card capacities above 32GB, which I imagine a great many users have installed, and this is the first complaint I've seen.

For the record, I'm running with a Lexar 633x 64GB SDXC

• I've successfully moved data to a 64gb and 128gb SD card using the default filebapp. Had problems moving/copying data from PC to SD card directly. Copy to internal memory and then use file app to move data to SD card.
  • mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭✭✭  /  edited September 2018

Personally i am more than happy with the 64GB of internal space the Nokia 8 has without resorting to moving things to an SD Card, i just don't have that many apps to worry about.

My card is used for photo, music and video storage and i would rather it remain portable and totally separate for the internal file system.

• Migs Migs
    ✭✭  /  edited September 2018

Same here. Apps stay where they are

• I have tried 2 microSDXC EVO plus 128 GB cards from Samsung and Nokia 8 does not accept them as internal storage. I have followed the instructions on Nokia 8 manual and followed any relevant video but the only thing the android 8.1 accepts is the above SD card as external memory storage for photos etc. Has anybody any suggestions?
  • mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    Yeah, the Nokia 8 cannot format an sd card as internal storage and never has been able to.
  • naufrago naufrago
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    Google is forcing manufacturers not to allow using sd cards as internal memory. 
    You have to go to dark side, otherwise you cannot use your sd card to expand internal memory.
  • mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    I know it is a personal thing but i really struggle to see why anyone would want to use an SD card as internal space on a phone with a minimum of around 50GB free to use, even with more apps than i ever use i still have over 38GB free on the phone storage.
  • naufrago naufrago
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    mrbelter said:
    I know it is a personal thing but i really struggle to see why anyone would want to use an SD card as internal space on a phone with a minimum of around 50GB free to use, even with more apps than i ever use i still have over 38GB free on the phone storage.
    Actually total free space left to users is around 38gb. Are you sure you have 38gb now?
  • mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    Yup pretty sure.

• mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    Or to put it another way

• naufrago naufrago
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    It's a little bit tricky and misleading info shown on settings menu.
    If you check using aida64 or similar app, you will see only 50gb free space available.
    Remaining 14gb is dedicated for page file, fs journal and mostly a/b update dedicated partition which is almost equal to Android system size. Not to mention lost clusters by ext4.
    You can check or try it for free :lol:

However, as you said, 64gb device is enough for most users.

I use Google photos for photo storage and online streaming services for music and video. I frequently cleanup browser and google service cache.
  • mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    According to Aida i have over 35GB free. I already knew there wasn't 64GB available due to the system, it has been like this on every android phone since god was a lad.

• mrbelter mrbelter
    ✭✭✭✭✭  / 
    naufrago said:
    you will see only 50gb free space available.
    Which is what i said to start with.
  • naufrago naufrago
    ✭✭✭✭  / 
    mrbelter said:
    naufrago said:
    you will see only 50gb free space available.
    Which is what i said to start with.
    My bad.
    As I said, it's tricky and confusing.

One more information; read an article last night. Google added something called sdcardfs to linux kernel (similar to Samsung's previous work)

Read more here:
    https://www.xda-developers.com/diving-into-sdcardfs-how-googles-fuse-replacement-will-reduce-io-overhead/