Why Gesture navigation is disabled in all 3rd party launchers ?

My brother is using a OnePlus device and a rooted device. In both the devices there is an option to enable Gesture navigation in 3rd party launchers.

Why Gesture navigation is disabled in all 3rd party launchers ?

My brother is using a OnePlus device and a rooted device. In both the devices there is an option to enable Gesture navigation in 3rd party launchers. But i don't know why it is not enabled in Nokia devices ?

I have tried different launchers , for ex: Lawnchair launcher and Nova etc. In all of them nokia have disabled the option to use gesture navigation.

Best Answers

• singhnsk singhnsk
    Super User  /  Accepted Answer

The whole problem is that Nokia is still relying on the old Android 10 code, from a point where even the Pixel didn't get the support to use a 3rd party launcher and gesture navigation together.

Google fixed that in an update around December 2019 to the Pixel and also to the AOSP codebase, but hmd is shy from using the new codebase on its phones.

The only sight of hope is when Android 11 will be available. It should include the fix since all bases of stable Android 11 should have the support for 3rd party launchers.

Answers

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

My 1+ 7t has gesture navigation using Nova Launcher (no root) and my Pixel 5 has gesture navigation using Nova Launcher (no root), trouble is My Nokia 8.1 is using the default launcher so i dont know but it does seem odd it doesn't work with 3rd party launchers.

• I have attached some screenshots of Lawnchair launcher and Nova launcher , you can have a look

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

Cool story bro but i didn't at any point say i disbelieved you.

• Rohit Singh 0424 Rohit Singh 0424
    ✭✭  /  edited October 22

Oops sorry sir , my mistake. I should have read properly.

• Thank you singhnsk for this information. This is really bad that HMD is still relying on the old Android 10 code. If HMD failed to update it in Android 11. Then i will probably shift to other devices. Whenever we purchase any Android 1 devices , we believe that we always get monthly security updates and yearly software updates , but apart from that these things are equally important . We believe that by purchasing Android 1 devices we will get fast and secure updates , but now the time is changing. Even phone who do not have Android 1 program are also getting fast software updates and some devices have already got Android 11 (like Pixel , OnePlus 8Pro , OnePlus 8 , samsung is also coming with OneUI 3.0 based on Android 11). So i think this is the high time for HMD to bring there brand value and provide us good software experience ( like providing latest features) and i believe that HMD can do this ( if they want to do ). Nokia 8.1 was the best phone when it came excellent camera and software but after Android 10 everything is messed up , the photo quality is not great anymore , photo lags in details despite having 20 MP front camera and device sometimes automatically restarts and the best part it doesn't have Night mode and GCam also crashes . So yeah let's wait for Android 11 if they failed to update these features then i will add some money and buy a pixel. Because pixel had only one drawback : low battery. Which i think is fixed in Pixel 4a 5G and Pixel 5. I hope HMD do something about it and provide us better software experience !

• MrBelter MrBelter
    ✭✭✭✭  / 

It clearly is a conscious choice made by HMD given it is working fine on other phones.