Mono recording in camera - will it be fixed with Android 11?

I've posted on this before but having made several recordings over Christmas and only now discovered they were actually recorded in mono and at a lower quality than usual, I'm raising this issue again.

Mono recording in camera - will it be fixed with Android 11?

Mark Coley Mark Coley
✭✭✭  / 

I've posted on this before but having made several recordings over Christmas and only now discovered they were actually recorded in mono and at a lower quality than usual, I'm raising this issue again.

The routines that listen out for 'OK Google' filter all incoming audio and only pass a lower quality and mono signal to any apps, such as the camera app, that would usually be expecting high quality stereo.

To fix this you have to turn off 'OK Google'. It used to be the case you had to deny microphone permissions to the 'Google' system app by looking at mic permissions, showing system apps, then denying mic access to the Google system app. Now it seems you can just turn off access to OK Google in the Google Assistant settings. I'm pretty sure this didn't work before but it does now.

If you deny access to the microphone to the Google system app this also works but you'll get promoted to restore permissions if you ever press the microphone icon on the search bar if you have that widget running.

Can I ask if you all get this problem? Note, camera must be in landscape orientation when you start recording or it will record in mono if in portrait orientation.

I wonder if this will be fixed with Android 11.

Comments

• Well said Sir , this should be fixed.

• Mark Coley Mark Coley
    ✭✭✭  / 

I've found the mics click too at the start of recording. This was the case with the Nokia 8 too until they'd 'warmed up'. Perhaps I should ask in the 8.3 forum if the phone records in stereo...